Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

How often do you replace oil plug gasket?

• I change it everytime

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • I change it every other time

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • I am still using the original(post response with mileage)

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I wait until oil is dripping out then replace it

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Oil plug gasket...what's that?

Votes: 11 12.1%

Drain Plug Gasket? How often do you change it?

13K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  Ragnar Danneskjöld 
#1 ·
Well 32K here and still using the original. Was going to change my oil today but wondering if I should wait til I get a new gasket first. Just want to see how often everyone changes theirs..if at all...or am I crazy.

#4 ·
Why fix something that works! It's just a drain plug and if leaks then change
the gasket. If your changing this all the time then you must be over tightening! :bigthumb:

#5 ·
I change it when it starts to leak.

#6 · (Edited)
Many shops, dealers and others would recommend changing the gasket with every oil change.

As they are cheap and easy to replace (the plug is already out), it's probably best to do so. Many gaskets are not really meant to be re-used, so changing out this $1.00 part along with your oil is kind-of a "no brainer" in my opinion.

A.W.D.

#7 ·
Yeah, I am thinking I am really pressing my luck at this point and don't want to throw away $30 of Mobil 1 Synthetic over a $1 gasket. So I guess I am going to wait til I can run by the dealership and pickup a gasket before I change it.

#9 ·
Come on, if you can afford to drive it - change it every time !!! Do you change your filter too? or recycle your oil from another vehicle? Have you ever run out of oil on an engine before ?

#10 ·
Calm down, of course I change my filter and no I have never ran out of oil before in fact I don't think I have ever even been a quart low on any vehicle. The gasket has always stayed on the bottom of the pan and I never really think about it til I already had the oil drained. Thanks for your concern though.

#11 ·
Sorry I didn't mean it like it sounded. I had a leaking plug on my F250 that almost cost me a motor one time. The stupid light came on when it was just about empty. I would hate to see a leaky plug cost someone a motor.

#13 ·
I am still using the original one and just slipped past 52,000 on the odometer. Yeehaw!

#15 ·
30,000 and i think i'm on my 4th one. I only use the factory toyota filter and whenever i buy one i always buy the washer too!

#16 ·
The gasket on the oil drain plug is a compression gasket. It flattens out every time you tighten up the drain plug. They are designed to use once. My dealer gives them to me with every filter I purchase.

#17 ·
I stopped in and bought some stuff, about 50 bucks worth at the parts department, and asked about the oil plug gaskets. He threw in a pack of about 10. They are obviously dirt cheap. Just go pick some up and change it everytime.

#22 ·
okay i bought a five pack today, I already had a few filters. My dealer has never given me any with the filter purchase, but then again they were giving me employee pricing on the filter since I used to work there.

#23 ·
I found one person in the parts department that always hooks me up. She gets me the Toyota filter and gasket for $6.95 (that includes tax). I don't know if the combo is usually that cheap, but I'm not arguing.

~$32 for a synthetic oil change is great - of course I do it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.