Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Mad's "Dark Angel"

51K views 165 replies 42 participants last post by  Old Cruiser 
#1 · (Edited)
Mad's "Dark Angel"

The Creation of a DARK ANGEL
Before we get started I want to say this was built to wheel, play in mud and use as a daily driver.. It is NO MALL CRAWLER and has the Scars, dents n repair list to prove it.. and yes Even pictures to back it up!

Now, How the FJ came to be;
WHile i was deployed to Iraq With My unit in 2006-07 my wife did this to my Ford F-150........

After My Military deployment with Special Forces & back home decided to go back to Iraq on contract. SO, Just prior to going back over seas, I traded MY truck in for the wife a new 07 Dodge Nitro, leaving me with No vehicle,and no toys for the first time in 25 yrs!

SO WHile working now On contract as a Field Engineer For SF.... I managed to get my hand crushed n had to be Medivac out back to the States for Recovery.... SO what do Guys do when completely bored n have no vehicles or toys to get introuble with?? HMM??

YUP!!! Traded the wife's brand new Nitro.

FOr This ....:clap:
Purchased Oct 31, 2008 Complete with Factory warrenty intact as the lift was Dealer installed Prior to signing final sale.

2 days later, I went back and got the OEM Roof Rack, and Hitch, installed.

The Road to ModVille
As I have never owned a truck that wasnt modded. I had thousands of ideas. Mods are slow & stretched out do to My working overseas. I am only home 4 weeks out of the yr and its hard to spend time with family, Go wheeling and Modify in 33 days!

See it transform​

Ok, Here is what has been done to date!The Stuff that been added or done to get it to look and perform the way it does

AS it was @ purchase, Dealer Equipped
08' Brick, w/ Automatic
Convenience Package
Rear Differential Locker
OEM roof rack
Hitch
Dealer Added Equip (Installed By Earnies Southern off Road)
Pro-Comp 6" Stage One Lift
18" 956 MotoMetal Wheels (chrome)
35" Nitto Mud Grappler tires.
Nerf Bars

Performace
Safari Snorkle
K&N AIR Filter
Scuba Mod (Own Design)

Wheels and tires
Matching Spare
1.25" Wheel Spacers front and rear (ALL-Pro)

Lighting
Light Bar
2x) All-Pro 8" 130w Lights
2x)All-Pro 6" 100w Lights
AeroFlow tinted headlight covers

Comms
Cobra 29LTB BT CB Radio
6' Fire stick Antenna
Hand Held CB(For when your out of the FJ)

Electronic stuff
Garmin GPS
A-Trac Switch
VSC Hack
6 Position Fuse Panel for Accessories.

Armor
One off Custom Front Bumper.

Recovery Gear
Smittybilt 10k Winch
Extreme High lift Jack 48"
Shovel & Axe
ARP Tree saver
ARP Tow Strap (30ft)
Rease tow strap w/ hook ends (30ft)
Bubba rope (30ft)
Snatch Block
Gear bag
15lb Power Tank
Snap-on 25ft Jumper cables
D-rings Front and rear. Reciver Mounted D-ring

Safety
Military Spec First aid Kit
Fire extingusher

Interior
added a dash mount for camera or camcorders
Tinted windows
SpringField Solutions mPac Side Rack and Center console rack
Built in Permanent mount for Power tank

Exterior
Four Treks shovel and axe mount
Fourtreks High lift Mount
Custom Ameasing Hood Decal (installed, but SHop screwed it up! Gettiin WHole hood blackout)
Complete Black Out
Later Removed all exterior Plastic.

Body
1.25" Toytec Body lift (Ernies Southern 4x4)
Body mount Mod
BiG Dent in Pass Door (curtisy of Eldest Daughter)
Various Scratches(pin strips) from Trails

Dreamers Ideas... got wait for the wallet to catch up.
rear Bumber with swing out
One of a kind Rock rails (Building myself)
Black out center of wheels
Modify and install custom floor section on roof rack
Belly armor
Exo Skeleton Roll Cage
One of a kind full Custom Complete Fiberglass headliner
Dual Battery set up
Bushwacker Fender flares
And many many more

As I mod the FJ, I will Continue to mod this thread.......:rocker:

See less See more
1 3
#22 ·
re: Mad's "Dark Angel"

How on earth did you get a 6" lift under factory warranty? I know a bunch of Canadians who would love to hear the details of that!

Nice truck, BTW.
I'm lifted 6'' and have had lots of stuff under warr work ,tranny, trow out bearingx2 ,leaking cv,stereo, door wheather striping, have had no problems with getting stuff done the only thing not been covered were bearings on the ac unit that was full of mud wonder(wonder why):lol:ANd mines an inport from down there also

#3 ·

Named the Dinosaur by my daughters and their friends. It was purchased right off the showroom floor with 21 miles and is a brick, 2008, w/ AT, tow package, Atrac, and rear locker and is the basic model other than that. It was purchased as, Dealer equipped w/ OEM roof rack, Pro comp 6" lift, 35" NITTO Grapplers mounted on 18" Motometal wheels, Spare included, and tinted windows. (all Fall under FACTORY WARRENTY!!!!) Since then I have added Realwheels lightbar w/4 Pro Comp 6" 100w Lights, FourTreks Highlift mount w/ High Lift Extreme jack,FourTreks Shovel n Axe mount. I have removed the factory fender flares and completed a body mount mod to help with the over sized tires and 1.25 All-Pro wheel spacers. The One mod I didnt plan on was a large dent in Pass. Door! That was a gift from my daughter while she had it out with some friends. Future plans other than fixin the door, are for Bushwacker fender flares, Warn Tabor 12000 winch mounted hidden in the factory bumper. Full under armor,and alot more custom mods as I find time to actually do them.:bigthumb:
The really expensive part was getting the wife a 08 rav 4 in re-turn!!
:wave:
Funny. I drive a FJ and my wife has a RAV also. :rocker:

Reactions: CQB27
#6 ·

If its installed "pre purchase" reguardless of what it is the dealer has to warranty it under factory warranty. With Toyota if its installed by the dealer it wont void your warranty(certain performace items will void no matter who installs them) If its TRD parts and you have it dealer installed its warrantied by toyota..

#7 ·

NICE!!! I'd suggest an aftermarket bumper and a winch!

#9 ·

its getting a 12000lb one i just dont see the need for a 1200$ bumper when I can fab a badass mount n make it a factory looking winch install using the factory bumper
One of the big advantages of an aftermarket bumper is much better approach angle. You also don't have to spend $1200. Just play the waiting game and you'll find something on craigslist or the for sale section of this site. I got my Demello Triple Hoop bumper for $650

#14 ·

True, here in Iraq we dont worry about aprouch or departure. it described as plowable and plowed...bumpers are for going through things, not over them:rocker:
Have you actually looked at the stock bumper on an FJ? You go thru a pile of leaves and you could break the flimsy plastic mounts for the front bumper. Not telling you how to build your rig... I just think the first time you bury it in the sand over there you might be wishing you had a bumper with some shackles and D-rings.

#12 ·

Does she let you drive it? I cant drive my wifes, modify it or anything. I am only allowed to wash it when Im home. I guess its fair. I traded her paid off, fully loaded Dodge Nitro off to get my FJ.....I was looking for me a used ride just to get around in at the time.... I wanted a FJ and took the op to finally get it. Opps!!

#16 ·

Wow we need to start a club my wife had an 07 rav and I have an 08 fjc:lol:
LOL! My wifes Rav is blue and my FJ is Brick..reverse to what it looks like you have according to your picture! Couple more people we have a club! I Love the wheels you have on your rig.. Are they true BEad locks? How do they ride?

#18 ·

The wheels are rockcrawlers with rimstiffeners the swampers ride rough just my offroad wheel tire combo. I run the stock rims with cooper stt's on the street.

#19 ·

i like dinosaur name

#26 ·

No one from the forums, but I have had several ask if I actually wheel it.. YES I DO. It is no mall crawler.
DO to where I Live, This is what it typically looks like when it rains.

And this is me Playing at a Mud Park LAst year.

#27 ·

Bonnie rig, mate

#29 ·

Bonnie rig, mate
That is a VERY SWEET RIDE!!
Thanks! Its been a slow build and not so glamorous as some of the others but Im getting there... Have tons of ideas and some in the works.
Heres a Mod that My Daughter contributed to the Build! SHe did it while wheeling with her friends awhile back. Took her and the wife 5 days to get the nerve to tell me!:rofl:

Pushed most of the dent out, so you can hardly see it in picures. The inner edge of the shell is bent so they cant reskin it.. It needs a whole door.This tiny little dent has a average repair (of 4 Est.) of 2000$.:mecry:

#31 ·

Ehhhh, no biggy! Believe me, it could be FAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR worse!!!!!!!
OH I know.. I cant decide to fix or not fix... I know at some point its going to get more trail rash....I just have OCD when it comes to Keeping my Vehicles nice, and Its killing me to leave it that way!:lol:

#32 ·
Update!! The FJ has Officially Been Named! "Dark Angel"...
It is actually a name that originates from A few sources... For those that May Have a clue to where Im at and what I do, Im Sure you understand When I say I cant reveal the story As of TIme Now.. FOr the rest, I will Be glad to Indulge the Story to All, but I can not at this time... I Appologize.. I can say it was Named by me and SOme Very close friends I have the Honor of working with & for...

#34 · (Edited)
You been busy I see! :rocker: Nice job and I really like the turn signals...Sahweet!

Maybe try that CB out down in Punta Gorda?

#35 ·
Yea I hope it works.. I had to re-end the Cable and I dont think its working right.. Looking for some place to take it to and get a Pro to install a new end for it...

And Yup I have been Busy!!!! As soon as I get all the pics uploaded I will post on here and update my Build.

Cant wait to put it in the MUD!:rocker::rocker:

#36 ·
Ok, Its Been a busy week... Lights finally rewired and installed on their own Fuse block.
CB Wired and cable Run
VSC Hack Completed on a tiny switch and 100% undectable!
Molle racks Installed
Power tank installed
Hood black out Installed..

As it is right now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.