Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Layonnn's Locked FZJ-80

63K views 228 replies 52 participants last post by  Layonnn 
#1 · (Edited)
Most current picture first:

And my co-driver/navigator:

I thought about it long and hard, and made the decision i needed less of a car payment and more room. I need to get back into graduate school with some money saved up. I couldn't do that and still pay off the FJ at the same time so i decided to pick up an FZJ-80. (For some reason people on here think i am an old grumpy man, hahaha, i am 26, and also the youngest moderator)

I looked for 4-5 months and finally found a near stock one i really liked.
1997 Nightshadow pearl with tan interior and 156K miles.
Front and rear lockers

I found it up near Atlanta, GA. So after some emails, phone calls, and a very nice guy over on mud (Scott) went to go take a look at it and give it a test drive, i booked my flight!!! The guy i bought it from (Roy) owns a small used car lot. He came and picked me up from the airport, about an hour later, we made a deal. Off i began on my 9.5hr drive back on July 4th. 2010. It was pretty sweet driving back and seeing all the fireworks but i did miss getting to spend it with the family.

First day home:

My dad owns an auto-upholstery shop in BR. They have a pretty large warehouse that i have access to whenever i want with a large assortment of tools, a two tower 7Klbs lift, and a place to store everything. Only downside, all of my dads cars/projects are taking up too much space, haha. In the back warehouse are: dads boat, 66 showroom floor condition Mustang, a 66 Mustang project he is building into a GT500 replica, a 70 something Mailbu he is restoring with a 454, and my brothers mint condition 85' Monte Carlo SS. My dad and brother like cars, i like 4x4s, go figure.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Build up begins.
Step one: clean interior!
I started out by using a fantastic product called Malco to clean all of the leather and interior plastic. This stuff is so good that you need to only use it on a wet sponge when cleaning the leather or it will actually begin to remove some of the dye in the leather :)
The rear carpet has some stains and a very weird substance on the right rear, very gross is a good description. I was going to try and shampoo the carpet while still in the truck, i decided i would rather pull it out entirely as our carpet shampoo-er was broken, ha. This turned out to be a MUCH better idea. I pulled all of the rear carpet, removed the padding on the back side, sprayed it down with Purple Clean? Then pressure washed the snot out of it! This got all of the stains out of the carpet and returned it to a "like new" condition. I then added some new felt padding to the back side as insulation and sound deadening. I will probably go with dynamat on the rear eventually as i can get a deal through one of my dad's employees.
I may eventually go with a bedliner material for the cargo area of the truck. The main downsides i see to doing this are the heat from the exhaust with my dog in the cargo area. My dog comes with me everywhere.

I will also be re-doing the entire headliner either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Carpet out, seats still in and fender carpet still in.

Seats out and fender carpet out.

Re-padding the back of the cargo area carpeting, i did this also for the fender well carpet after i presure washed it too.

Today, Monday 7/12/2010 i finally washed it up and decided to try and see if my FJC steelies with 285 BFG AT's would fit, THEY DO. No rubbing whatesoever. I wasn't too keen on black wheels on a navy vehicle, but i think they look great after mounting them!
I just mounted my spare onto the front axle for a quick test drive down the street.
Also installed my Yellow top optima to replace the crappy battery that was in there and not holding a charge. The yellow top won't be staying in that location for very long though :)

Don't laugh at the mis-matched colored lugs haha.

#3 · (Edited)
Step 2: order parts!

Ordered Stainless brake line set (frame to axle and axle to caliper, 7 in total) and windshield washer relocator bracket from Slee offroad. The washer relocating bracket is so that i can buy a FJ80 (91-92 year model) battery tray which is located on the passenger side of the vehicle. I will then use my DirtyParts dual battery kit to wire up dual batteries. DieHard Platinum as primary and Yellow Top Optima as auxiliary/backup.

Tomorrow i will be ordering from CruiserDan at American Toyota:
Toyota CDL (center differential locking) switch: this enables locking the center diff in 4Hi, and i will be performing the pin 7 mod which allows unlocking the center diff in 4LO. This makes turning sharp turns in 4LO MUCH easier
Toyota Hand throttle: this enables you to set any rpm rev, lock that RPM in place with this cable, and then remove your foot. Ideal for winching, jumping another vehicle, etc. also, poor man's cruise control.
FJ80 battery tray
radiator to engine heater hoses and a couple hoses on top of the valve cover as well as the PCV grommet

The previous owner "said" he took care of the pesky heater hose, PHH, but i saw a neat solution that looks to be better. Instead of just replacing the very hard to reach hose, i will replace the whole metal tubing from the heater valve all the way to the engine block down below.

I am also looking to replace the entire exhaust system.

#4 · (Edited)
Step 3: order the fun mods!!!!

My very immediate list of things i will be adding to the FZJ-80:
The FJC steelies and 285 BFG ATs from the FJC
ARB bumper
Old Man Emu 850/863 (heavy/heavy) and new Nitrocharger Sport shocks
Safari Snorkel (of course)

After these, and soon to be ordered near after will be:
Sliders (undecided on brand yet)
LightForce Blitz 240's
Rear bumper with swing out: I like the Kaymar because of towing ability, but it's departure angle and weight are killer. I am about 90% sure i will be going with the Slee rear bumper with swing out and then will just leave my OEM hitch on underneath that. Whenever i go wheeling, i will just remove the 6 or so bolts that hold on the trailer hitch, and then be on my way.

The Slee rear bumper with Hi-lift mount.

#6 · (Edited)
We're going to have to charge you rent for those unoccupied posts that you reserved. So, fill them up quickly with pics - pics - pics!!!! :rocker:

And, let me be the first to say how great your 80 looks!! :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks Steve! There is some more info above now ;)

What do y'all think of the steelies and BFGs?

#8 ·
Kick a$$ !!! Layton, I've always liked the 80s and the increased room they offer. After wheeling on a Bill Burke trip with a 96 Lexus LX450 (the Lexus version) I gained even more admiration for them and, had I not just spent over three grand on suspension and rear bumper, I would have really considered buying Rockcrawler's (Terry) Lexus LX450. I will watch this build closely. :rocker:

#9 ·
Very cool Layton! We are still several months out on picking up ours. Seems the new (to us, built in the 40's) house and shop are eating up all our money, go figure :) Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

#11 ·
Nice man. I like the 80 series. You should rethink the rear bumper and get one of Lukes at 4x4labs. I've been driving his 80 while he does a rear end for my 4runner. Departure angle is the best out there and he's got modular attachments. I was stoked about the one he did for my FJ so I went back for the runner.

#13 ·
I have definitely looked at that one.
I have been studying all the features of the 4x4 labs, Kaymar, IPOR, and Slee.
The 4x4 labs does have the best departure angle due to the fact that you cut the rear crossmember, shorten the frame, and weld on a new cross member. To me this has two major pro's and cons.
Pro: better offroad
Con: worse off in a rear end collision.

With the bumper being so close to the body, in a rear end collision they will basically be hitting your tailgate as well as the bumper.

With something like the Slee or Kaymar, their is still a good 6inches or so of bumper that they would hit before getting to the body.

#16 ·
Is this a 1996 FJ-80? I owned one for over five years that looked just like yours, and it was one of the best vehicles I've ever driven. It is a TANK, and will go anywhere in comfort.

Only two downsides come to mind: 1) the gas mileage will make you appreciate the FJC's fuel consumption (figure about 10-12 mpg city driving), and 2) brakes in the FJ80 series were somewhat under-engineered - I had to have the rotors turned and pads replaced about every six months or so.

I still miss the old 80, though.....hope you enjoy yours, too!

#18 · (Edited)
The mileage might be a huge difference if you have a very close to stock FJC :)

Mine was getting around 16MPG haha. I got 17MPG on the way home from Georgia in the Cruiser. ONLY the LC has a 25gallon tank!!!
As soon as the stainless brake lines come in i will also bleed the brakes with some nice synthetic brake fluid.

#22 ·
Also part of the reason i decided for the switch. I have taken a few friends with me offroading and those in the back seat didn't have a great time. Later on in life if i am blessed enough to have a wife and kids, i would love to take long road trips to see the country side. I feel like anyone in the back seat wouldn't be having as great a time. The 2nd row of the LC is rooooomy, comfortable, and has center armrests.

I am definitely missing my driver side armrest in this thing though. I go to put my elbow down and i fall into the center console. I might have to fab something up or see what folks are doing over on mud.

#21 ·
There are 2 built 80's that same color that roll around my small town. It's hard to tell them apart except one has a snorkel. There is also a built silver one that parks at my building.

I would be lying if I didn't wonder what an 80 would look like in my garage today had I gone that route and spent that car payment on mods.

#23 ·
It would be sticking out more, haha. My 80 barely fits in my private garage at my apartment. I have room to walk behind and in front of the FJ. I have to open the garage door to walk around the 80.

#26 ·
It looks like you picked up a good one!!!

I kinda wish we had gotten a little newer 80 than the 91 we picked up. The 3FE (4.0 liter) engine acts like it couldnt pull my son's wagon full of his toys...lol The 4.5 liter isnt exactly a powerhouse but with a little trickery, you can get the job done with it.

As previously stated, the brakes on the 80's are total crap. We picked up ours in November and I put new brakes on it in May. Pulling a trailer with any weight at all will scare the stuffing out of you. Our trip back from our farm (2 hr trip) on New Year's Day pulling a 68 VW Bug behind the 80 made me rethink doing anything like that again without a complete brake upgrade first.

You have a pretty solid looking platform to do some really great stuff with. If ya need any help or have questions, gimme a holler. :bigthumb:

#47 ·
I had a '91 and traded for a '94 which I then drove 202K miles with only general maintenance. The '94 had major improvement in the engine 50+ more HP and better gas mileage (although still bad...maybe 12-13 up to 13-15). I now have a 2004 LC but do miss the '94 a bit...even though I did no off-roading. I seriously considered looking for a '97 (last year 80 series I believe) because I enjoyed my '94 so much. BTW...sold it for $9,000 with 202K miles...in late 2003. I will follow your build with interest...Tom R

It looks like you picked up a good one!!!

I kinda wish we had gotten a little newer 80 than the 91 we picked up. The 3FE (4.0 liter) engine acts like it couldnt pull my son's wagon full of his toys...lol The 4.5 liter isnt exactly a powerhouse but with a little trickery, you can get the job done with it.

:bigthumb:

#29 ·
Just a couple more thoughts about your new 80, for what it's worth: it's been almost ten years since I sold my FJ80, and my memory may be faulty, but as I recall, the OEM wheels were CRAZY expensive. You may want to keep that in mind, and research their resale value if you decide to sell them.

Also, to me the FJ80 represented the pinnacle of what the LandCruiser series was intended to be. The successor, the FJ100, was just way too NICE to take out and beat up on the trail. Every time I left the pavement in the 100, I felt guilty and nervous.

#30 ·
They aren't in great condition is part of it. They had started showing some surface rust i guess, and the PO did a horrible job of painting them. As in, didn't sand them down at all :(

#32 ·
Thanks Matt.

Spoke to CruiserDan today (mud members will know who this is) and ordered the following OEM Toyota parts:
Both radiator to engine hoses
PCV grommet and hose and whatever that other hose is on the valve cover
all new belts
Center differential lock switch
FJ80 battery tray and all hardware needed (for my dual battery kit)

Maybe one or two more items i can't quite remember :)

Also called up Slee offroad and told them to add the hand throttle to my SS brake line and washer relocating bracket order.

#38 ·
Thanks Dave!

It should definitely be trail ready by Wheeltoberfest.
Think you will make it?

#36 ·
Layton,
It looks GREAT! This is definitely something that has been bouncing around in my head! I am subscribing to the thread to see how all your mods get installed and perform. Make sure to take loads of pics!!! :bigthumb:

Just my $0.02 worth.... How about painting the steelies to match the gray bumpers? Might give a groovy two-tone look to the beast! :cheers:
Bob

#37 · (Edited)
Thanks Bob!
If the steelies start to rust at all, or get scraped up, i might go that route. The front grill and the chrome surrounding material needs to get painted asap. I am thinking of doing it in the "hammertone" silver color.

Also, i got my hand throttle installed today. Took a little contortioning to get it installed. Once i started my idle was around 1500rpms!!!! Definitely adjusted the cable wrong, ha. After some tweaking, when i would engage the hand throttle, it would shoot up to 2500rpms, needed more adjusting. Now my idle RPMS about back around 600-700, and when i just pull the hand throttle, it increases to ~1500rpms. It is very neat in that you ran raise the RPMs to whatever you want, pull the hand throttle and it will hold that RPM.

Numerous benefits to this simple install, and it is OEM.

Got my slee stainless steel brake lines in as well, with no directions and no install help on their site :(

Going to pick up a Diehard Platinum for the primary battery in a few minutes, and using the Optima as an auxiliary. I also have a complete Blue Sea secondary fuse box, and all of the wiring for it that i had bought for the FJC but never got around to installing. I will be using this on the LC to hook up items to the Optima.

#39 ·
Very cool! Can you check out a rig for me in the 'da bayou? Not sure where exactly. But if it's close to you, could ya?

#40 ·
Possible/probable.

Where at? Only one i have seen in the area is a LX450 about 45 minutes north of here. Guy wants about ~6000 for it.

Has about 220K miles, but drives well. Engine runs better than mine. Interior is in "meh" shape. Body is good. Minimal surface rust underneath (once again, better than mine :( ). Has fr/rr lockers. I test drove it before i knew how to properly operate the lockers. I can't remember if they engaged or not, i don't think they did, i just saw the lights blinking.

97 Lexus LX 450/Landcruiser FJ 80-Team Tatum Used Cars-Financing!-225 - Cars - News on Deals

#41 · (Edited)
Box from CruiserDan arrived.
All new:
OEM belts
OEM radiator to engine hoses
FJ80 (91-92) battery tray (passenger side mounted for an OEM looking dual battery setup)
Couple other small doodads.

Still waiting on a Mud member to remove and ship his exhaust, intake, and LSPV (brake valve)

Also picked up my Diehard Platinum 34m battery from sears. Would have got the 31m for its greater capacity, but it require some modifications to fit, and is about $50 bucks more. If i wasn't running a dual battery kit, i would have bought the 31m. I think i'll be okay with the 34m and the Optima Yellow Top :)

#42 · (Edited)
Changed the PVC grommet, valve, and hose (hose was rock hard) and the evacuator or something other hose on top of the valve cover

The horror stories i had heard about the PVC grommet were true. This thing was a PITA to remove. I took my time, tried to get a little bit of oil between the sides of the grommet and the valve cover. I had a shop vac ready to suck up any small pieces that broke and fell into the valve cover. I cut the grommet in two main pieces, it came out in about 7, hahaha.

I also tried to install my new Toyota belts today. Only to find out, that my tensioner pulley needs to be replaced. The little rod on the bottom that actually puts tension on it, is broke. I am going to go ahead and replace it and the idler pulley as well because both have a lot of rust, so might as well.

The O2 sensors need replacing bad, going to order those with the pulleys tomorrow...

Threads suck without pictures, i know this. I took a few today, and will take some more tomorrow whenever JoeUser comes by to swap roof racks!

#43 ·
Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing your new project, Layton!

#44 ·
Just placed an order for sliders from 4xInnovations. Adam at 4xI is very open to custom orders. I asked him if he could make mine look something like this

When they normally look like this

Also, Spidertrax spacers arrive tomorrow.

#45 · (Edited)
I think you could modify the sliders in the pic to look like your drawing pretty easy. Just cut out the back cross piece and get a new piece of tube with same diameter but a little longer and fit it in at an angle like your drawing. I think this way would also be stronger since the perimeter tube would still be one continuous piece. In your drawing, with the kick out being an add-on, I think it would be a little weaker. Strong enough? Maybe. But I think you could get the same look with more strength.

After one more look, I guess the drawing could be seen as showing it done either way. Sorry if I was looking at it wrong.

#46 ·
I had asked the fabricator about it, and he said due to how the hoop would have to be cut to fit, and the extra tubing needed, and the time to make that cut right, it would add about 75-100 to the price, so i decided to go with the original design :)

#50 · (Edited)
Thanks Steve! That means a lot coming from you and all the Cruisers you've had!

PICTURES, with commentary.

Dennis (JoeUser) drove down from Dallas the other day to pick up the BajaRack and trade me his rack for a great deal. Also, he got a phone call letting him know he was offered a great new job. Congrats on the job Dennis and i am very sorry about the other phone call you got while here.

The 80 up on the lift with it's new tires/wheels. It now currently has some 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers as the backspacing of the steelies is too big for my liking. The spacers put the wheels almost right in line with the edge of the fender flares, sit about 0.5" inward. I don't plan on removing the flares (i think it looks weird without them) so this was necessary IMO. Also, with the spacers i can run my Toyota center caps on the steelies and 16" offroad package wheels :clap:

#51 · (Edited)
Today, i got in my gently used replacement exhaust, intake, and LSPV for the rear axle.

Since my dad decided to put his mustang frame up on the lift i had to resort to stupid jack stands, grrrrr. Yes, i am already spoiled by that lift, haha.

I started dismantling the exhaust on the 80.

Removed the heat shield and i am currently soaking the header bolts in PB blaster. Will attempt to remove those tomorrow. A keen eye will notice the washer bottle relocated near the fire wall. This is from Slee and is so that i can mount my dual battery kit :)

The bolts on the rest of the exhaust looked pretty rusted. So, i decided to go the fun route on removing them. Sawzall!!!!

Here are my "wheeling tires". I brought these up to my dads shop to get them out of my tiny garage to give me some more room.

Last but not least, took a recent hiking trip with Roux (golden retriever) and friends. Saw a few snakes. Let the girls do the "map" thing. They got us lost. We had to turn back, haha.

Here we are at one of the waterfalls relaxing.

The bandage on her foot is from a week prior. While playing ball with her and my dads golden, she slipped and broke her dew claw pretty badly. Had to take her to the vet and sedated her as they snipped that sucker off at the bone. She is doing well now and it has healed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.