Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

The Rock Walker Build

69K views 145 replies 46 participants last post by  bc_indiana 
#1 · (Edited)
After almost a full year of enjoying my first new new truck, I've been bitten by the mod bug. I blame dallasjetfan because he gave me a deal I couldn't refuse on some Metal-tech Sliders.

Here she is Day One May 2010. I actually snapped this to send to me dad to talk me out of it. He was not successful.

Factory Options:
4x4, Convenience Package, Upgrade Pkg 2, Rear Locker, DRL

I chose not to put any money into upgrading the exterior and drivetrain/suspension since I KNEW I would be investing a lot into upgrade. That said, I kinda wish I would have spent the extra $2K for the TRD model on the lot.
Being my first new car, I wanted to enjoy factory for a while, but I hated banging my antennae on my work garage, so I installed a rubber spring antennae as the first "mod." A couple weeks later, I named it Tonka. Added Husky liners since the OEM All Weathers were recalled.

A couple weeks ago I installed the black TT grill and finally installed the hitch, which came with the black valance. I've also added the black handles and the TT cargo mat.

Texas opened up 7 character vanities in early March for 1 week. I couldn't resist; my brother actually suggested this name.

Devil is in the details... TRD Japan valve caps... have TRD Japan license plate bolts too.

Current Additions:
Expedition One Diamond Series Front Steel Bumper
Demello Offroad Rear Aluminum Bumper
Demello Offroad Hybrid Sliders
Suspension Lift - ICON Stage 3+
- Icon Extended Travel Coilovers with Remote Reservoir
- 2.5" Rear Piggyback Shocks
- Icon Tubular Upper Control Arms, with cover
- Hydraulic Bumpstops
- Overland Springs
Warrior Products Platform Rack with low-profile Hi-Lift and tool mounts
TRD Cold Air Intake
Lifetime LED 70W Headlights
Tires - Goodyear Duratracs 285/70/17
Black Rhino Sidewinder Wheels 17x9"
Skids - Ricochet HD, Full Kit
Boztec Rear Diff Skid
sPOD Accessory Management system
- Trailworx A-pillar lightbar brackets holding a 52" curved Tuff Stuff LED lightbar
- 20" Rigid Industries SR LED lightbar mounted to the bumper
- DBCustomz pillar light mounts with Rigid Industries D2 Flood LEDs
- HID Converted Acro Lights in front bumper ports
Expedition One 2010+ Windshield Fluid Reservoir
Springtail Solutions door and side racks with Molle packs
The Source 10lb CO2 Tank
Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS DVD Receiver Headunit
Door speakers: Focal Polyglass 165 CVX 6-3/4"
Dash speakers: Infinity Reference X REF-3002cfx 3-1/2"
Cobra 75WXST CB, with Boztec HAM mount.
Amaesing's Hood Vinyl Decal

Immediate Plans:
ToyTec Signature Series Rear Link Kit
Remove and black-out the mirrors, install the Oznium LED upgrade
FJ Freedom Windows - Sitting in the garage
Rock lights compiled from Oznium products

Long-term Plans: (in no particular order and tentative)
Snorkel
4.56 Regearing

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: The Great White Tonka Buildup

Suggestions and opinions welcome. I'm pretty green when it comes to modding a 4x4.
It really depends on how deep your pockets are...to be honest I'd leave the mirrors sliver, also, what about a roof rack?

Over the years I've modded my share of cars and trucks, with the FJ I'm giving more thought to what I want the end results to be.

#5 ·

It really depends on how deep your pockets are...to be honest I'd leave the mirrors sliver, also, what about a roof rack?

Over the years I've modded my share of cars and trucks, with the FJ I'm giving more thought to what I want the end results to be.
I'm definitely putting on a rack at some point, but some clearance issues at work. The garage has a 6'3" clearance, so once I put the OME on, I'll have to park in the garage next door, which is 6'6" clearance. Even the new Baja flat rack, which I'm really liking, adds 4.5" to the height. No room for a rack until the office relocates or I invest in a commuter car.

#8 ·

I remember when mine looked that white. I did the black mirrors and liked the look on the iceberg, but to each his own. I agree with the post above about how deep the pockets are. It also depends on what you want this thing to do. lift and tires are always a good thing to start with. Or for a daily work fj you could start with the upgrades inside like a new stereo. Keep us up to date on your plans.

#9 ·

Looks nice!

#10 ·

Off to a Great Start! Take your time and research your way thru all the builds here first. I have changed mine three times over and it aint cheap!

#11 ·
White

#17 ·

Thanks everyone. I got the Sliders on officially last saturday but haven't had a chance to snap shots yet. After a week I've noticed a perception on my part that the rig feels "shorter, stockier." I think it's because it extended the black trim down more and "connects" wheel to wheel. I love the look.

#18 ·

Love the plate. I was thinking of getting a B/W Texas plate. Compliments the colors of the white FJ.

I bought my extra cross bars from Dallasjetfan as well. I see he's selling his stuff to get back to stock. Sucks for him to have to sell it...but great deals for everyone in DFW lately!

#19 ·

Love the plate. I was thinking of getting a B/W Texas plate. Compliments the colors of the white FJ.

I bought my extra cross bars from Dallasjetfan as well. I see he's selling his stuff to get back to stock. Sucks for him to have to sell it...but great deals for everyone in DFW lately!
Thanks. I considering getting "THATGUY", but I was told not to be that guy.

Definitely sucks he's selling it, but I understand. I considered picking up his SwayAways, wheels, and tires too, but it's tough to commit 2k right now.

#22 ·

personally i started with interior because i could go at my own pace/budget and no one would see if it wasnt complete rather than if i put on a lift then i would want tires right away because it didnt look right, but thats just how i felt

#26 ·

And to prove that nothing is ever final until the credit card is paid, I have actually switched my suspension plans to ICON Stage 1+. After many discussions and help from guys like Digger, WILSON, Old Cruiser and helocat (Mark at MetalTech), I've jumped on the purchase of a modified Stage 1 setup. I've swapped the standard from coil-overs with the extended travel coil-overs with the remote reservoir. In the long run, I think it'll be far more cost effective to get the reservoir now instead of rebuilding later. To save some $$$, I've also ordered the new ICON tubular UCAs from Demello Offroad instead of getting the IVD Billet UCAs. No reason I can't upgrade those down the road. :rocker:

Things are finally cooling off in Texas, so I've started the black out process of the silver pieces, beginning with the spare wheel trash can lid as practice. Good things to come I think. Super excited. :cheers:

#29 ·

If you need any help installing that beautiful suspension give me a holler! Can't wait to see it!
Actually Landy, I will. But not so much with the suspension. I think I may need to host a DFW wrench day at my place. I need help with some electrical mods.

#30 ·

I always love when big boxes show up at my door. My wife doesn’t and I think the UPS guy has a bad back from it...:lol:

As far as you suggesting the upgrade to the billet UCA's- that would be a direct swap and unnecessary. The 4130 tubing has been proven with everyone else building them to be almost bomb proof. So you should be fine with what you’re getting.

Looks like you’re on your way!! You’re going to be blown away by the difference. just remember to get a good grease for the UCA's and it will take a few days of driving for the suspension to settle in. :bigthumb:

:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.