Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Michiganders SWOI Build

15K views 76 replies 19 participants last post by  Michigander 
#1 · (Edited)
This Build would not be possible without the help and support of my father.
Current as of 10/13

Well I got my FJ in June of 2012 with 68,000 miles on it. I am still in college but I wanted to have a better toy than my father’s 05 Honda Element. In December of 2011 I test drove my first FJ, an immaculate 08 Brick with 38,000 miles on it. My father made an offer but the dealer didn’t bite, they sold it within the next couple days. After that my father decided it was a bad idea to trade and said he would have regretted the purchase. Even then I decided to keep pushing and on April fool’s day my father and sister tried to convince me they had purchased an FJ, it turns out it was actually a Kia Forte :flame: I had given up hope that my father would trade the Element to close the gap on the price difference to an FJ.

I had started a new job in January and by summer I had saved up about $8000 and was actively looking for an older jeep to buy as a toy. After my father realized that I was serious and going to buy something he told me he would look into a trade again. I had been browsing the classifieds and sent him links to all the good deals in the area. My father had the Element, because I had borrowed his car, and decided to clean it up and see how much he could get for a trade. He went to two dealers one day and they both offered very little for the trade. A few days later he went to a Honda dealer that happened to have an 07 Black Cherry Pearl on the lot. Well they made a good offer and my father purchased it that day.

I was ecstatic I finally had my FJ :clap: I told my father that I would pay the difference in the trade from the Element so that there would be no out of pocket cost to him but he refused and told me to keep the money (so long as I spend it wisely).

Out with the old

In with the new

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Exterior Mods
Current
- AVS Ventvisors
- OEM Hitch and wiring harness
- ATRAC Switch
- 2012 FJ Cruiser Forum Badge
- Ricochet Offroad HD Skid plates full set
- Plastidip Blackout (front only)
- DIY Hi-lift mounts
- All-Pro HREW kick-out sliders
- Radflo 2.5 Lift From Metal-tech
- 16" Tacoma Steel Rims
- 286/75R16 Treadwright Guard dogs MT's
- Homemade Stainless CB Antenna Mount
- Homemade Steel Front Bumper
- Engo 10000S Winch

Future
- Finished Black-out
- Expedition One rear bumper with swing-out
- and much much more...

Interior Mods
Current
- ATRAC Switch
- DIY el-cheapo rear box
- Ultra-gauge
- Cobra 75 CB Radio

Future
- New DIY Storage Drawer
- New headunit
- Upgraded Speakers
- OTRATTW Switches

#3 · (Edited)
Michigan Trails
(This list is incomplete as many of the most entertaining trails I have done do not have actual names)
- Cliff Mine Peak Road - 10/12 - This is an interesting series of logging roads/ATV trail. I have never taken the FJ to the Summit as there are a couple large obstacles and very tight trees.
- Mandan Road - 10/12 - Technically an ORV trail but like many of MI's actual ORV trails basically a gravel road.
- High Rock Bay Road - 10/12 - An ORV trail (rough dirt road) that leads to one of my favorite camping areas.
- Horseshoe Harbor Trail - 10/12 - A rough dirt road that leads to a Nature Preserve. The trail is smooth up to the preserve but the trail quickly becomes narrow and rougher afterwards. There is only one obstacle, a washout, that may become impassible without winching when wet.
- Rocket Range Trail - 10/12 - A rough and narrow dirt road with high probability of pinstripes leads to a former rocket launch site.
- S65 - 11/12 - A logging road not terribly rough but very good for snow wheeling.

Colorado Trails
- California Gulch - 07/13 - An easy trail without difficult obstacles. Great scenery.
- Cinnamon Pass - 07/13 - An easy trail without difficult obstacles. Great scenery.
- Corkscrew Gulch - 07/13 - An easy trail with some extreme switchbacks. Great scenery.
- Crystal Mountain -06/13- Ran this and Moody what I was expecting for Colorado wheeling. I scuffed a rim, crunched my tailpipe, and nearly tore off a bumper wing. Had a great time though.
- Engineer Pass - 07/13 - An easy trail without difficult obstacles. Great scenery.
- Governor Basin - 07/13 - An easy trail without difficult obstacles. Great scenery.
- Haystack Gulch - 05/13 - An fairly easy trail with some steep ascents and descents and some challenging narrow paths through aspen groves.
- Imogene Pass - 07/13 - An easy trail without difficult obstacles. Great scenery.
- Metberry Gultch - 06/13- Not a very difficult trail but enjoyable. One large obstacle with a couple bypasses. Beautiful at the bottom.
- Mineral Creek - 07/13 - Slightly more difficult trail then I expected but a lot of fun with little risk of damage.
- Moody Hill - 06/13- I did not do the rock quarry obstacle but the rest of the trail was not that difficult. Most of the trail was done at warp speed thanks to FJess leading :lol:
- Poughkeepsie Gulch - 07/13 - A fairly difficult trail that was a lot of fun. I did not make the wall on the first attempt and ended up winching due to a backup.
- Rampart Range Road - 05/13 - A very scenic drive but no difficult wheeling. I got bored and started taking every side road because the main road is easy.
- Russell Gulch - 07/13 - Easy trail with some cool mines and old buildings.
- Yankee Boy Basin - 07/13 - An easy trail without difficult obstacles. Great scenery.

#4 · (Edited)
The summary so far:

The first thing that I did when I received the FJ is order a OEM hitch and Wiring harness from trdparts4u since I was placing the order I decided to pick up an ATRAC switch also. Both were very easy installs.

Next I ordered a full set of HD skids from Ricochet offroad to replace the stockers that had nearly rusted away. Unfortunately before I could install them I had to address the rest of the rust problem so I sanded, scraped, and painted the frame with por-15 to ensure that the rust won't be an issue for a long time.

I then worked on a couple DIY projects including some mounts for my hi-lift and a storage box in the rear for my recovery gear.

After wheeling it a couple times I decided that the tube-steps the PO had installed needed to go so I ordered some HREW kick-outs from All-pro during their last group buy.

Since then it has been to nasty out for me to do much to my FJ hopefully come spring the mods can start again.

#5 ·
Good looking dark cherry. Interested to see your build!

#6 ·
Nice choice in color :bigthumb:

#9 ·
Looks nice! :bigthumb:

#10 ·
Well it looks like the like the next round of mods is coming sooner than I anticipated. I was planning to buy a couple pistols after my 21st birthday. Unfortunately prices have soared and nobody has what I am looking for.

So instead:
- Radflo 2.5 complete lift ordered from Metaltech.
- Ultragauge on order as a gift from my father.

I don't think I'll be able to get the lift installed until spring as up at college I have no place to work when it is looks like this outside.

#12 ·
Yeah it certainly makes me wish I had a garage but I enjoy our summers. I like the cold much better than the hot. I can always put on more clothes but people get angry if you take too much off :jester: I only saw it hit 100 once this summer and that was when I was visiting my father downstate up at school there was maybe 2 days where it went over 90.

#13 ·
Just build an igloo so your out of the wind :jester:
Looking good !
Redboat

#16 ·
Got home from class today and found some packages on the porch. Of course I had to open them and throw up a picture before heading to work.

My new Radflo 2.5 kit from Metal-tech.

#20 ·
Awesome! Same kit I'm looking at! Subscribing NOW so I can read the review! I'm very interested in hearing how they ride (road handling, comfort, ability to absorb big bumps, etc.). What spring rate on the coilovers?

#17 ·
Awesome!!! :rocker: Can't wait to see them installed!! Wish I could come home and find some awesome toys like that!!

#18 ·
Got that drive-in igloo built yet ? :rofl:
Looking good !
Redboat

#19 ·
:lol: No but I think I found a garage that I can use for a weekend to install. Now I just have to find the time. I am leaving for Spring break then exams start again hopefully in a few week though.

#23 ·
I'm near Traverse City and can kinda heat the garage .
Lots of tools and I've done this a few times . Let me know if I can be any help
Redboat

#28 ·
Well I don't think that you guys will have to wait too much longer. I have gained access to a friends garage this weekend to do the install :clap: So unless something unforeseen happens I should be able to post pics this weekend. :rocker:

#32 ·
Well I installed my front coil-overs today. It took about 6 hours not bad considering it was my first lift install and I was doing it in my driveway. I was hoping to get the rears on tomorrow but they are calling for 3-5" of wet heavy snow tonight and into tomorrow.

Before:

After:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.