Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

FJ_MIKE's Build

13K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  FJC_MIKE 
#1 · (Edited)
After several years of dreaming about FJ's and playing with my RC FJ Cruiser(Xmas gift as a joke from girlfriend in 2006), I finally got one on November 25, 2011 (Black Friday). I said the hell with the stores and Christmas shopping, I'm going to the dealer to buy an FJ!!

MOST RECENT PHOTO(S): More at: http://fb.com/RESZFab

Right after I got the keys. Sitting next to the SC300 I traded in.(sorry about the crappy BlackBerry pic):

Since it was too late to take it off-road the day I got it, I waited until the next morning to get it dirty.

And here's the most recent pic(s): 1-1-2014

Details

2007 Titanium Silver

Suspension

FRONT
-OME Coils
-OME shocks
-SPC Light Racing UCA's
-Custom disco

REAR
-Toytec SuperFlex coils
-ProComp ES9000 shocks(11.25")
-Reinforced lower links
-Removed sway bar

Armor
-All-Pro DOM sliders
-Factory skids
-Custom lower link skids
-Custom built steel front bumper(build pics bellow)

Wheels & Tires
-Factory 17" x 7.5"
-Spidertrax 1.25" spacers
-Firestone Destination M/T 285/70/17 (currently for sale
-Method Racing NV 305 16" x 8"
-BFG KM2 315/75/16

Lighting
-Piaa Xtreme White headlight bulbs
-6000k LED mirror lights
-20" LED light bar
-50" LED light bar
-Custom 50" mount
-1 burnt out factory reverse light(replacing soon! lol)

Misc
-Body mount chop(BMC)

Flexing the current suspension setup.

Comparing headlights to 20" LED light bar.

.....will add more soon!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I had the hardest time picking out a bumper I liked...

I started off wanting the All-Pro bumper. I loved the lines and the way it looked on my RC FJ Cruiser. Then I saw Demello's bumper and really liked the idea of having a 1/4" steel plate frame. Then I came across the Expedition One bumper, which was also made of thicker plate, but also had those awesome looking d-ring shackle mounts on the front.

Since I couldn't decide between the 3 bumpers, I finally just made my own! :) This also happens to be my first major welding/fabrication project. ...with the exception of welding some pieces here and there for practice. Just got my first MIG(Miller 212) in April 2013. Started building the bumper in July I believe. So to the pros here, please take it easy on me! LOL

I mocked everything up with 1/4" MDF, cardboard, and poster board. Once I had dimensions of everything, I drew it up in DraftSight(never drew anything in CAD before, so that was fun!) and took it to work(Cometic Gasket) to get cut. All of the 1/8" steel was cut by laser, while the 1/4" was cut on the water jet. Once I had the 1/4" pieces cut, I started welding everything together. In fact my profile picture here is of me tacking the winch mount/frame together.

And here are a few pics from the bumper build. More pics can be seen at the link below.

Bumper Build (167 pics)

Side by side of 1st bumper build and 2nd bumper build.

#6 ·
Any pics on how you made that sweet bumper?

#10 · (Edited)
That is a really nice looking front bumper, very impressive, especially for a first welding project. Looking forward to seeing your build progress!

#11 ·
Very nice bumper! I really wish I had that skill. Anxious to see more about the build.

#13 ·
Great write up and pictorial of the bumper build! Looks great, cannot wait to see more!!

#15 ·
Glad you ended up with the rig you were dreaming about, great job on the bumper fab as well... Very clean looking beast :bigthumb:

#18 ·
How does it drives without the rear swaybar?

#28 ·
Awesome build! your fj looks almost identical to mine minus the wheels!

Congrats on the build!

Reactions: FJC_MIKE
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.