Project Snow Leopard - Page 37 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

858Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 961 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Project Snow Leopard

awesome as always. Just got done installing your washer bottle, air pump relocation, battery tray along with TRD air intake. Everything went great as the instructions were very well done. also with TRD air intake it frees up little bit more space around battery tray and washer fluid bottle. Trd intake also does not require the use of support bracket that sits right next to the new TEE location of the air pump hoses, and such can be removed freeing up some space and no chance of the bracket rubbing on the hoses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 961 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
ASPEC previously said: View Post
awesome as always. Just got done installing your washer bottle, air pump relocation, battery tray along with TRD air intake. Everything went great as the instructions were very well done. also with TRD air intake it frees up little bit more space around battery tray and washer fluid bottle. Trd intake also does not require the use of support bracket that sits right next to the new TEE location of the air pump hoses, and such can be removed freeing up some space and no chance of the bracket rubbing on the hoses.
Awesome! Glad to hear everything went well. I have been eyeing the TRD intake for the same reasons, but don't want to lose the cyclonic pre-filter. The TRD doesn't have that right?

2013 Iceberg 6MT
1990 Supra Turbo

My Build!
post #363 of 961 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Made a bit more progress on the battery gauge and switch combination setup. I found that the air on board and stock switches are very deep and I just couldn't bring myself to chop all of the mounts off of the dash and trim panel to jam switches in there. What I came up with is a compromise that allows two switches with no or very minimal trimming of the dash. I am intending to use these two switches for my aux fuel tank setup I have been thinking about.

I believe there are better places to mount additional switches that don't require hacking that dash apart. For one thing, I am planning to control a bunch of stuff with the wheel controls, so there are 7 switches right there. I am also thinking I may have these done in anodized aluminum versus plastic if there is not a massive cost difference. They have to be CNC machined anyway, so why not right? The renders don't really look very realistic but I don't feel like messing with it right now.

I also got the prototype under tray and disconnect parts today and they look fantastic. I will get pictures as I begin the install later in the week.

2013 Iceberg 6MT
1990 Supra Turbo

My Build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 961 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
lzalusky previously said: View Post
Awesome! Glad to hear everything went well. I have been eyeing the TRD intake for the same reasons, but don't want to lose the cyclonic pre-filter. The TRD doesn't have that right?
that is correct it does not have the pre-filter, which I did not like either, and that is why it was a tough decision for me am glad I went with it as there a few benefits that I noticed right away, It sounds way better with the manual tranny when shifting and feels more powerful (dunno if it actually is) all the restrictions are gone and it does have a visual gauge that tells the condition of the filter as to when it needs cleaning etc and is a compromise to pre-filter ( thats what I tell myself) LOL. looks better under the hood and does free up some space with resonators gone etc.
post #365 of 961 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Forum Master

looks really good. In terms of room for switches, I agree I was not too comfortable with hacking the dash either. you are right can always figure out somewhere else for them. anodized aluminum would be great even if little more etc in terms of cost.

I like your idea for Aux tank!! Do share more!!
bazross and Alpine FJ like this.

Last edited by FAUJI; 01-06-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: addition
post #366 of 961 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Dual batteries are finally installed! It was a very long weekend of work, but aside from one short cable that connects the winch disconnect to the fuse block everything fit just fine. I will say that 1/0 SGX cable is absolutely MISERABLE to route. It is about as stiff as a similar size hydraulic line and has virtually no give or twist. At least I know it is not going to move around once routed..

I am updating the cable lengths on my schematic and am going to suggest that others go with SGL cable with its much softer insulation due to the routing nightmare I went through. Anyway here are the pictures:

First off, a shot of my new shorter 1/0 winch cables versus what came with it:

Next up are the main battery under tray and disconnect with parts fitted. I did have a limited number of extras made of these two parts..

Tray installed with stainless rivets:

And the main battery installed with the terminal extenders. I did this to have matching main and aux. batteries per Optima's application engineer. I have terminal covers on order but they didn't make it for the install.

A few shots of the carnage and routing. I needed the bumper off for other reasons but it definitely helped having it out of the way.

Fitment of the winch disconnect:

And the aux battery installed!

And the whole setup minus the main battery terminal covers:

Everything checks out and the ACR works as advertised. It is very audible when it connects and disconnects. I will share more detail on everything in future posts but wanted to get some pictures up.

TCao, FAUJI, zcutt and 4 others like this.

2013 Iceberg 6MT
1990 Supra Turbo

My Build!
post #367 of 961 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Here are some additional shots of the routing. The wire I used is SGX wire which has XLP insulation which has a high temperature rating and excellent abrasion resistance, but it is nearly impossible to route due to its extreme stiffness. SGT cable has a lower temperature rating but is much more flexible. This is what I would use if I did it over again, and what I suggest to anyone following a similar routing path.

I was sure to cover the edges of the openings in the front body panels with silicone edging. I do not expect there to be much relative motion between the cables and body since they are very stiff and well supported. Even so, cover the edges so that they can't become an abrasion point.

The cable bundle gets routed along the inner support structure and up into the cutouts already present in the body panels. I used a cable clamp at each end to secure the bundle. If using a more flexible cable you could likely get the routing a little neater.

Generous ziptie application. Doesn't look pretty but should do a great job of keeping the stiff a$$ cables in a bundle.

A revised version of the schematic with cable lengths and part numbers is attached. All cables were purchased from custombatterycables.com. I listed the cable parameters in a format that mimics the online ordering system for the cables for people that want to follow a similar path. You will likely need to alter some of the lengths if you have your winch contactor in a different place and or have a different battery setup.

I have had a chance to test the winch under load and the fuses seem to be properly sized for the Warn M8000. I have more testing to do on everything but so far it is working perfectly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery_Relocation_1.2.pdf (69.5 KB, 539 views)

2013 Iceberg 6MT
1990 Supra Turbo

My Build!
post #368 of 961 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)

Super clean as always! I would be interested in the extra parts (under tray and disconnect) if you are willing to sell...

The AT-AT Build

2011 Silver Fresco 4x4 5AT, Blacked Out & Nekkid - Airaid CAI - MBRP High Tuck Exhaust
Toytec BOSS 2.5 - Superflex Springs - Skyjacker Links - Light Racing UCA - Spidertrax - Superbumps - DT's BMC
295/70/17 Ridge Grapplers - Method Fat Five - Metal Tech Tube Bumper
Nestah LED Doorhandles - Scangauge II - M-PAC - Pioneer HU - JL Amp - Hertz Speakers - JL sub
Cobra 18 - Bandi Mount - Izalusky Resevoir - Chitown4X4 Power Window - LUX LED
Protected by Diesel Toys - Boztec - Rocktek - PureFJ - FJ Toyman
post #369 of 961 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 124 Post(s)

Umm, I'm gonna need air the extra parts too. (Another group buy???) I'm pretty much copying your whole setup so count me in on the parts needed. I will also need another one of the battery clamps. Thaks! Looks sweet!

2013 Magma
TLCA #23190
post #370 of 961 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
Alpine FJ previously said: View Post
Umm, I'm gonna need air the extra parts too. (Another group buy???) I'm pretty much copying your whole setup so count me in on the parts needed. I will also need another one of the battery clamps. Thaks! Looks sweet!

Ditto for me, looks awesome.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.