Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Project SAC'D FJC - "The Rebuild" and then some...

107K views 521 replies 76 participants last post by  MotioncontrolMike 
#1 ·
Finally getting around to starting a new thread. :nerd Some of you may have seen my other build threads, but if not click on the links below and have a ball reading for the next couple of hours...

Phase 1 - The original SAS build thread... that covers the initial build up, some additional post build changes, offroad expo coverage and a bunch of the wheeling trips.

Phase 2 - The post SAS thread that includes everything from the DIY beadlocks, reaer tire carrier, tube doors, shock tuning, lots of wheeling pictures and a bunch of helpful posts on the electronics and how to disable them.

In this installment :wink I'll cover the rebuild of the front end and the rear 3-link with 14" Fox 2.5" coilovers plus a bunch of other things as we go...

First... the original solid axle swap was completed almost 7 years ago and my FJC has performed amazing over the years. Over the last few years I've seen a number of successful rear 3-link setups on late model Toyota's and that made me believe it was time to do the rear 3-link on my FJC.

The parts list goes like this...

- 14" Fox 2.5" body coil overs with remote reservoirs
- Eibach coilover springs 300/350 spring rate as a starting point
- RuffStuff antiways (this thing is crazy stiff - same diameter as a Dana 60 axle shaft)
- Branik 2.25" solid aluminum links (all the way around)
- Currie's new chromoly narrow johnny joints (all the way around)
- FK heims on the panhards
- Fox air bumps (reusing the ones I had in there, but relocating)
- Polyperformance limit straps
- FJ-80 High pinion third member with an ARB for the front (moving away from the elocker third)
- and a bunch of pretty welds from the fabricator...

So enough with the words and on to the pictures.

Here is what I started with...

A few pics of the parts... new johnny joints

Fox coilovers

Started off by putting the FJC on the scales... let's just say it needs to go on a diet. PIGLET!

The first thing we started with was swapping out the front diff. When I originally built the front axle I chose to use an FJ80 high pinion third with an elocker. This go around I'm switching to the same FJ80, but with an ARB locker instead. This involved adding some steel to the face of the housing in order to make the ARB third fit. With elockers there is a large chunk of steel missing where the elocker shift fork passes through the diff and connects to the locking shift fork. We welded in a piece of 1/2" plate, drilled and tapped it and then installed the new diff.

Sorry for the crappy pic... this is post adding the steel to the face.

Post diff install...

At this point... things change direction and I decide to rebuild both the front and rear. After 7 years of hard wheeling the link mounts at the frame had taken a beating as had the front axle mounts. So...

Off came everything... :surprise and we started completely over. We kept the shock towers, steering and frame side panhard mount, but stripped the front axle and belly bare and started over.

The plan going forward it to rebuild the front axle mounts, new front and rear cross members with integrated link mounts, fully belly pan, 3-link in the rear with coilovers up into the rear cargo area, sway bar and a bunch of other cool things.

I will post more as we make progress...

See less See more
#408 ·
Wow....what a build...your thread somehow escaped my view..... amazing work all around. Looks like one of the best SAS FJ I have seen. The rear shock towers are really well done.

That is one of the things we are not sure how to deal with on mine....since I now have massive holes in my floor where all my shocks go... In the end I wont be too picky I am expecting the cab to be a bit dusty as I'm not sure we be able to seal it up.

Anyways, congrats! Looks like she performs just like she should......enjoy her!

I hope you put alot of miles on her in 2016! Who knows I might bring my monster up to your neck of the woods some time!

Cheers!

#412 ·
Been using the FJC a lot over the last couple of years. Signed up for Rubithon this year and had a great time. Nice to see some old friends and get in some great wheeling.

My son driving the FJC...

Coming into Buck Island on day 1...

Heading down big sluice into Rubicon Springs...

The view from camp...

We had a great time....

#416 ·
Finally started to install the Atlas case. Man things are really tight under the truck and the Atlas case is BIG!

First thing to do it remove the tail housing bearing. This bearing is not need and only used to support the factory tcase input.

The bearing...

Removing the tail housing of the transmission...

Then remove the large c clip and the bearing pushes out...

After...

The bearing, clip and retainer...

Then you install the input seal adapter... and install the trans adapter and input spud...

Case on the trans jack... then shove it into place...

Then when you realize that it doesn't fit and will hit the floor boards... you go Fred Flintstone style...

More later... :)

#418 ·
Fully clocking it flat? Also, make sure you mount up something to support it. The weight of a four speed is a lot pulling on end of the transmission. You seem to be the type that would already know this though. I used a mount by Roark.
Not completely flat... Dropping the drive side output down a little, so everything clears the cross member and skids. Advance recommended 40 degrees, I think its about 30 degree. I've read up on auxiliary mounts and I'm torn. Advance says they aren't required... but, a lot of people run them and logic says that heavy box needs support. I looked up Roark and he's no longer making them. No worries, based on the location I think it would be best to build off the inspection plate. We'll see where it goes...

#419 ·
A little more progress...

Trimmed the spud down to the recommended stick out from Advance.

Out with the old transmission support...

In with the new...

It's tight in there, but it fits...

Now to start on the shifters...

Notched the twin stick and welded the planetary shifter to it...

Cables and shifters installed and adjusted... now to get it into the FJC.

#420 ·
A little more...

Had to take a chunk out of the front cross member in order for the Atlas case to fit.

New section bent and welded to the cross member...

Modified cross member back in place...

Got the Atlas fully assembled, filled with fluid and ready for final installation...

Got the Atlas installed... it's really tight. Shifter cables are in as well as the shifter...

Shifters... custom box turned out super clean. They are sealed up nice and tight, so no water should get in... much better than before.

Center console is back in, shifter boots fit perfect and the floor is boxed back in and painted. I will install some dynamat before reinstalling the OEM flooring...

Clearance between the gas tank and the case. Looks like a stock gas tank should clear with ease. Might have to sell (or trade) my modified tank with the dual cases and make a package deal out of it. :D

Next up is the tailhousing support, drivelines, check clearances and a few other things...

#426 ·
Atlas in in for good... finished up the tail housing support. It ain't coming out again (fingers crossed)... :D

Built a little mount off the rear crossmember...

Then fabbed up the support... bolts (or clamps) onto the tail housing of the Atlas.

Installed... bushing will dampen the drivetrain vibes and hold the case in place...

Now to order some new high angle drive lines...

#430 ·
Who ever does your fabrication is incredible. Thats better work than whats seen on supercars. Glad to see its coming back together.

#433 ·
wow....nice work as always....

Funny coincidence.....I just ordered my new engine, tranny and atlas today.... great to see the output mount etc... thanks for sharing.

Can't wait to see pics of it out on the trail...

#434 ·
Started working on the new rear bumper...

Last couple of trips did a number on the rear bumper. I've also wanted to work on lightening up the FJC, so... I decided to make a new bumper and come up with a completely different approach to the rear swing out. Also looking for more clearance and a lightweight solid structure to protect the rear. First step is to chop the rear frame section and remove the rear cross member from the frame.

The rear section is going bye bye...

Going to remove the rear body mounts and rebuild some high clearance mounts. Funny to see the leaf spring bushing still in there from when the truck was originally built with leafs in the rear.

Cross member and body mount done... frame cut line marked...

Frame chopped and boxed back in with what will turn into part of the mounting points.

Started working on the bumper base and recovery points. The recovery points are .500" and the bumper is .188". Note the radius in that top plate... that radius will play throughout the bumper design.

Started bending up the side wings...

Got the wings and the bottom section all put together... again note the radius in the bottom plate... it lines up perfectly with the a$$ end of the FJC. Those side wings are about as high up as you can get them... going to be a lot more clearance.

Starting to look like a bumper...

After a little bit of clean up...

Spent some time rebuilding the rear body mounts. Since these were shorter, we had to make some changes to the hardware. Moved the wings from the factory bolts to some F911 hardware...

Bumper all ready to test fit...

...and on the truck...

Nice and tight to the back... lightweight with gobs of clearance...

...and there's that radius again... following the lines nice and neat...

Last one for now... stoked how well this turned out...!

Next up is the tire carrier... it's going back on the rear door... yes on the door...!

#450 ·
Started working on the new rear bumper...

Last couple of trips did a number on the rear bumper. I've also wanted to work on lightening up the FJC, so... I decided to make a new bumper and come up with a completely different approach to the rear swing out. Also looking for more clearance and a lightweight solid structure to protect the rear. First step is to chop the rear frame section and remove the rear cross member from the frame.

The rear section is going bye bye...

Going to remove the rear body mounts and rebuild some high clearance mounts. Funny to see the leaf spring bushing still in there from when the truck was originally built with leafs in the rear.

Cross member and body mount done... frame cut line marked...

Frame chopped and boxed back in with what will turn into part of the mounting points.

Started working on the bumper base and recovery points. The recovery points are .500" and the bumper is .188". Note the radius in that top plate... that radius will play throughout the bumper design.

Started bending up the side wings...

Got the wings and the bottom section all put together... again note the radius in the bottom plate... it lines up perfectly with the a$$ end of the FJC. Those side wings are about as high up as you can get them... going to be a lot more clearance.

Starting to look like a bumper...

After a little bit of clean up...

Spent some time rebuilding the rear body mounts. Since these were shorter, we had to make some changes to the hardware. Moved the wings from the factory bolts to some F911 hardware...

Bumper all ready to test fit...

...and on the truck...

Nice and tight to the back... lightweight with gobs of clearance...

...and there's that radius again... following the lines nice and neat...

Last one for now... stoked how well this turned out...!

Next up is the tire carrier... it's going back on the rear door... yes on the door...!

I keep my 35" mud grappler on the door. You have to flip the mount upside down which kicks the bottom on the tire out to clear the bumper. Then I cut off the camera mount and brazed it back onto the carrier and remounted the camera. Works perfect and looks great. And my door opens and closes (and latches) perfect. Now I'm about to modify the rear windshield wiper to fit behind the tire. I have a allpro bumper on the rear and they did not think to leave room for a 35" tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#439 ·
Thank you...!

You're making me feel bad about not coming up with something else to do to mine. Of course, I haven't spent all that much time in it since I got it back so that could certainly change (not to mention it would have to be done in utter secrecy since my wife is aware of how much I've spent thus far). I did go to Moab for 4 days in late September but I couldn't do any really extreme stuff because of the folks that went with me. I didn't want to terrorize them too much. I did take them on Moab Rim and I made them all do Hell's Gate when we did Hell's Revenge. We did have a huge crowd of Razor folks watching us on the Gate so all my crew heard lots of cheering when each of them made it up.
Sorry I wasn't able to join you in Moab. Good to hear that you had a good time with the refreshed setup. Did it work as you had hoped?

#438 ·
You're making me feel bad about not coming up with something else to do to mine. Of course, I haven't spent all that much time in it since I got it back so that could certainly change (not to mention it would have to be done in utter secrecy since my wife is aware of how much I've spent thus far). I did go to Moab for 4 days in late September but I couldn't do any really extreme stuff because of the folks that went with me. I didn't want to terrorize them too much. I did take them on Moab Rim and I made them all do Hell's Gate when we did Hell's Revenge. We did have a huge crowd of Razor folks watching us on the Gate so all my crew heard lots of cheering when each of them made it up.

#440 ·
How did I not know about your build threads before! Really beautiful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.