Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Blueberry Gone Wild

19K views 86 replies 18 participants last post by  FJX2000 
#1 · (Edited)
12/10/14 Took home a meticulously maintained 2007 Voodoo Blue FJ. Just a hair over 100k miles, 4x4, never off road, factory locker + A-trac, all bone stock! Even had OEM running boards. Threw on a spacer lift , Bobby Mount Chop (BMC Poway special) , and 285/75/17 (33.8") Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and I was off !

This builds Primary use is a Reliable DD that can get me anywhere I want and home at the end of the weekend. Just a Build for camping, road trips, and exploring with the pup (Ozzy) and Family/Friends.
Not looking to PreRun the Baja 1000 or race KOH although I am trying to make it strong and reliable enough to hit some fun terrain! ;)

Post up if you have any questions or suggestions!!!

Current Mileage: 151,400 as of 8/23/17

Lighting :
Baja Designs XL80, Driving/Combo, Pair
Baja Designs Squadron-R Pro, Amber Wide Cornering, Pair
Baja Designs S2 Pro, Wide Cornering, Pair
Baja Designs S2 Pro, Amber Flood/Work, Pair

Baja Designs Rock Lights as Dome Light Replacement

Armor :
Demello Off-Road Aluminum 3-Hoop Front Bumper
SRD Rock Sliders Welded On
Demello Off-Road Swingout Rear Bumper

Front Suspension :
Total Chaos UCA's
Total Chaos Race Series LCA's
Fox 2.5 w/ Resi Coilovers + 700lb springs
Limit Straps

Rear Suspension :
Toytec Superflex 2.0 HD Rear Springs
Fox 2.5 Single Tube Bypass W/DSC
Total Chaos Fabrication Chromoly Link Kit
Limit Straps

Overland / Expedition Gear :
BajaRack Utility Rack
ARB 50L Fridge
TemboTusk Fridge Slide
TemboTusk Skottle Kit
FrontRunner Expander Chair
Table in a Bag
Scepter 5 Gallon Water Can w/ JAGMTE pressurized cap kit
Custom Fridge Cage
Tuffy Security Console
Goose Gear Floor Plate & Drawer System

Wheels / Tires :
285/75/17 33.8" Nitto Terra Grappler G2
4- 1.25" Wheel Spacers

Rotiform SIX-OR 17x9

Battery/Electrical :
sPod Power Source
OTRATTW Switches
Sears Die Hard 31M
IPAD w/ RAM mount and Gaia GPS
Pelfreybilt Off-Road 31 Battery Cage
ICOM IC-2730A w/ Extended Frequencies

Trips/Runs :
- 12/31/14 Palomar MTN snow exploration
- 1/24/15 Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo Wells
- 2/14/15 Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo Wells
- 2/21/15 Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo Wells
- 3/28/15 Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo Wells
- 6/19/15 Sequoia National Park
- 8/22/15 Big Bear Lake
- 9/05/15 Eastern Sierra's
- 11/21/15 Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo Wells
- 1/02/16 Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo Wells
- 1/09/16 Big Bear Snow Fun
- 2/20/16 Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo Wells
- 3/04/16 Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo Wells
- 4/30/16 Eastern Sierra's / Kennedy Meadows Area
- 7/16/16 FJ Summit / Ouray, CO
- 8/05/16 Eastern Sierra's / Kennedy Meadows Area
- 9/03/16 Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo Wells
- 9/17/16 Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo Wells
- 11/19/16 Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo Wells
- 12/30/16 Big Bear Snow Fun
- 1/01/17 Palomar MTN snow exploration
- 2/25/17 Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo Wells
- 3/10/17 Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains
- 5/25/17 Mammoth Lakes & Surrounding Areas
- 7/17/17 FJ Summit / Ouray, CO
- 8/07/17 Eastern Sierra's / Kennedy Meadows Area
- 8/18/17 Eastern Sierras / Mammoth Lakes / Yosemite NP

To Be Continued.....

See less See more
#6 ·
Congrats nice find. Looking good so far.

#8 ·
Thanks all! Had a lot of fun in the desert Saturday. Really glad to be back in an FJ. Had to change a rear shock. Blew out one already. Oops. Upgrade will happen sometime in next month or so. wish I had the cash already!

#11 ·
Looks good!

Would be super interested to see how it worked out.
Thanks! posted a pic. the one S2 is does the job helping me backup at night in tighter spots. it's really bright! I like the location. I can see a decent amount of light in both mirrors.

#17 ·
Sequoia National Park Trip
June 19-22, 2015

Attention All!
I'll be leaving San Diego at 4:30 AM Friday the 19th for Sequoia National Park.
If traffic isn't too bad, I will be up there around Noon. We will be staying at Dorst Creek Campground.

Haven't been up to Sequoia in about 2 years. Not a very long trip so I'm trying to get the most out of it.
Any awesome spots up there you all have been to? Open to suggestions

Planning to hit these spots:
-General Sherman Tree
-Tunnel Log
-Moro Rock
-Little Baldy Sunrise Hike
-Buckeye flats campground river
-Heather Lake (if I want to hike 8miles)

Should be an awesome trip! :blueblob:

#18 ·
Sounds like a great trip with some hiking activities. I would try to do the hike to Heather Lake if possible. It's getting fairly hot now that we're a few days away from the official first day of summer so I'd bring a lot of water (at least 1 gallon/day). I'd also call Sequoia park ranger to find out if there's snow on the trails (Little Baldy and Heather Lake). Take lots of photos. :bigthumb:

#20 ·
Sequoia National Park June 19-21 REPORT

Just got back from another awesome road trip!
Headed out of San Diego at 4:30 AM and hit the road at a quick pace. The goal was to avoid traffic through LA and we did just that.

Made it up through the grapevine at about 7:15 AM. We were moving along at a nice pace.

From there we were cruising along through some very boring areas. (sorry Bakersfield folks)
At around 10:30 We came into the park entrance.

Making our way up the hill we decided to cruise to Buckeye Flats Campground. On the way in we saw a fire road/ trail access called "Middle Fork Trail"
The road was partially paved and was very tight. We made our way in and had some of the best views I've ever seen. It was nice knowing the commuter car wouldn't likely be up there.

After relaxing there for about an hour or so, it was time to make our way further into the park.
We decided that setting up camp early was the best option so that we could explore more afterwards.

Camp set up at Dorst Creek Campground

Had to go and hit the main tourist stops.
Tunnel Log

Moro Rock was a complete Cluster****, So we decided to hit that on Saturday
The road back from Moro Rock.

Ate lunch at Wuksachi Lodge and Headed to down the road for some more scenic stops.
A couple hours later we were back at camp and Headed up the Muir Grove Trail for a short Sunset Hike. Didn't take many photos along the hike.

Fast forward to Saturday Morning. Forced myself to get our of bed at 5:00 AM. We quickly rushed to Moro Rock for a Sunrise Hike.
While there we ran into a Guy named Ryan. He was from New York and was visiting Sequoia and Yosemite for a few days. We chatted it up and waited for the Sunrise. The early morning rise was worth it!

More to come later! Have some more photos to upload

#21 ·
Great pics! Looks like it was a great trip! :)

#22 ·
Sequoia National Park June 19-21 REPORT Part 2

On our way back from Moro Rock, we were rounding a bend and saw a nice sized Black Bear Come running across the road.
We slowed and made sure there was no traffic coming. Quickly rolled down the window and got a pic of him/her. The Bear was about 20ft away, so we quickly got the shot and moved on.
Didn't want to bother the Bear on it's hunt for some breakfast

A nap was needed after the little sleep from the night before. Can't seem to get a solid nights sleep when camping.
Always on High Alert :Wow1: Had a few visitors in the campground, I think they smelt the Bacon Cheeseburgers I accidentally torched on the fire.

We decided to Cruise on over to Upper Stony Creek. Parked the car in the Day Use Area and Hiked down to Lower Stony Creek.
More than a couple years back I had High School XC Running Camp and Lower Stony Creek was the hangout everyday after runs. Unfortunately many of the best spots were very low as the water levels certainly have changed over the years. It was nice to relive some of those memories as we took a nice dip in the creek. Not a bad spot to sit on the log and relax for a few hours.

Arrived back at camp just in time for Sunset and Dinner. After a full two days, it was time to relax and rest up for the drive home.
Fathers Day was Sunday so we made an early departure and decided it was better to spend as much time with the family.
The road home got a little interesting. It was about 8:00 AM when we ran into some trouble.

Had a nice surprise when we came around a blind turn and found a Ford Escape sitting head on in our lane. The couple driving said the car just turned off without warning going up the grade. Trying to coast into the turnout they got stuck in our lane. A fellow FJ also stopped and we did our best to try and assist the stranded motorists. I initially parked at the entrance of the turn and turned on my hazzards and Rack Lights to try and warn traffic behind us. Luckily a Park Service worker was on his way to work and safely regulated traffic flow.

A group of us pushed the escape into the turnout and a Park Ranger was sent out to try and help from there. It didn't look good as the Escape had a very strong smell of burnt oil and was leaving a nice trail underneath. Spirits were still high even though the car wouldn't start and more than likely they would be towed out of there.

Picture after we got all turned around and moved the escape into the turn out. The initial idea was to pull the ford with the rig, but we had enough man power to push it safely. Explains why I'm facing uphill.

Overall the trip was a success! We got a lot more done than expected. It was really nice to be back in the mountains. A lot of great memories came back from my XC days.
A great reminder how out of shape I've gotten. It really might be time to get back in shape. Certainly was nice to be able to run some of those trails a few years back.
I'm greatly considering another trip in August right before School picks up again.

Have more pictures of the trip here:
Sequoia June 19-21 2015 by Bailey Johnston | Photobucket

#23 ·
Picked up a Mobius Action Cam
https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/features/

Have it set up as a dash cam w/32gb memory and looping function on.
Currently mounted on instrument cluster with 3m tape. Video coming later
With my already high insurance rates, I wanted some extra eyes in case something happened on the roads.

#27 ·
Total Chaos Fabrication UCA's
some goodies arrived today from Total Chaos. Very excited to get these put on.
These things are a work of art. Just waiting for the coilovers and shocks to be built and shipped from FOX

#28 ·
Eastern Sierra Nevada September 5-6 2015 REPORT

A long long long two days of driving in some of the best terrain California has to offer! Monache Meadows to Mammoth Lakes!!!
5:00 AM departed San Diego with Monache Meadows as the destination for labor day weekend.

After 4 hours on the 15 and HWY395 we reached the turn out for 9 Mile Canyon Road. Tanks were topped off at the Shell Station and we were headed up the mountain.
NOTE: Lights were turned on for most photos. Was not driving around with them on... Wouldn't want to blind others

9 Mile Canyon Road is a beautiful drive gaining elevation quickly into Kennedy Meadows. Coming around the turns we quickly entered the tree-line and were greeted by beautiful scenery.
Decided to check in on Kennedy Meadows Campground and see if it is a good spot for future camping use. It is certainly on the list!

Pic just outside of Kennedy Meadows Campground at a pit stop / outhouse that was nicely maintained

We continued our way towards Monache Meadows and couldn't stop laughing at this creative wildlife sign

Monache Meadows Jeep Trail is a neat Trail that is Stock 4x4 Friendly with a few slightly flexy sections. Nothing Crazy!

As we approached the camping area we noticed quite a few vehicles cruising in and around the campground.
We just had to get the usual water crossing shot in the little water that was left. Shot at South Fork Kern River Crossing

This is where most of the pictures stop and we decided to change the game plan a little bit.
It was about 2:00PM and the vehicles kept coming in to Monache Meadows. Last minute decision after a phone call with a friend and we had Hot Springs on our mind.
Made our way down the mountain and through these towns along the 395
-Olancha
-Lone Pine
-Independence
-Big Pine
-Bishop

From Bishop we headed up towards Mammoth Lakes with our destination being the local Hot Springs. After hours of driving from Monache Meadows we arrived at a very tucked away spring just east of 395.
As the sun went down around 7:30 the spring was very relaxing. Realizing we could A) camp near spring or B) camp down the grade towards Bishop and possibly get a hotel..
Option B would be better to reduce the drive home Sunday
*Insert IPHONE Panorama*

Darkness came up quickly and it was time to hit the trails. Thankfully I had a little light to help guide the way :sombrero:

Driving back through Bishop and Big Pine we had our mind set on a few forest roads outside of Independence for camp. All hotels were booked so we decided to do what we set out to do in the first place. Camp!
After about 18 hours of being out and about on the road it was time for the Final Rest Stop. Chose a nice turnout and headed to bed around 11:00PM.

Morning came around shortly and a beautiful sunrise lit up the great Sierra Nevada Mountain Range.

After a little bit of exploring it was time to head back to San Diego! Really grateful to have the Sierra Nevada mountain range so close.
This was a weekend to remember! Hopefully the next time fire restrictions will be lowered and memories of this trip will be shared for years to come around the campfire.

Thanks for checking out my Trip Report.. Time to get some rest

#29 ·
Cargo Platform and Tembo Tusk Fridge Slide 10/15/15

Note: Crappy Cell Phone Pics

A fridge slide was always on my mind since purchasing the edgestar. I liked the idea of being able to pull out the fridge and have very easy access. After months of using my head to prop the lid open, I pulled the trigger on a Tembo Tusk slide! Found here: Tembo Tusk - Innovations for the Road Less Traveled I did research on the most popular slides including the DIY option. My patience is minimal so the DIY was out of the question.
Their fridge slides are made from 12 and 14 gauge steel and utilize 500 pound rated Accuride locking slide tracks. Same heavy duty slides found in emergency vehicles, utility trucks, big rigs, and the military. Also, made in the USA!!!

This slide is super heavy duty...I can easily say it will last the lifetime of the vehicle. That is a long long LONG time considering the FJ is a Toyota :sombrero:

Now I know I mentioned I do not have the patience for DIY slides... Thankfully I have some awesome FJ friends willing to lend a hand on the next step of the project.
I decided a wood "False" floor would be the best option to help secure the fridge. Off to Home Depot I went and had a few pieces of 3/4" Maple Plywood cut. I removed the cargo hump located in the trunk and did a test fit to see how the Home Depot cuts were... Pretty nice fit!

There is a brace for the rear seat that sticks out a little. I wanted to utilize the 4 threaded holes in the rear to secure the wood so cutting a notch in the plywood was the best option.
This allowed the floor to slide back into position and cover all 4 mounting locations.

After a test fit, a slight problem stood in the way. The Factory seats have a plastic cover on the back with a slight ridge at the bottom that kept catching the wood. When the seats would fold up and down, the lip would catch the wood and prevent a full range of motion. It was time to remove the platform and trim a little off.

After a little trimming the platform fit perfectly and the factory holes lined up. The Slider was bolted on using M8 bolts and nyloc nuts.
Got the platform all bolted on and tested out the slider with the fridge! This thing is so secure the entire truck will move before the slide or platform even makes a noise!

Overall I;m very very happy with the fit and finish of the Tembo Tusk Slider on the custom wood floor/platform. Can't thank Josh (Jnev) enough for all the help!
Really cool to lend a hand. It's amazing what can be done in such a short time with the right tools. Part #2 coming soon as I look to add on some storage bins.

TO be Continued!!!

#30 ·
Cargo Platform and Tembo Tusk Fridge Slide Update #1 10/17/15

Stopped by The Container Store in Fashion Valley to upgrade my rear storage setup. I've been using these very large plastic bins for my tools, toiletries, camp kitchen, and clothes. They have done alright. The big downside is the latches are flimsy and the container isnt very rigid. I picked up 3 - Grey watertight totes. These use thicker plastic and have 4 latches that snap shut. 2 fit next to the fridge and 1 will go on top. The plan for the one up top is to mount it on top of a fridge cage. Will work on that later.
Bin 1- Tools, Straps, Jumper Cables, Gloves, and Tent Stakes
Bin 2- Toiletries, Silverware, Plastic cups, Paper Plates, etc.
Bin 3- Clothing and Sleeping supplies

The tent will sit just behind the fridge. Everything is fairly organized now!

#31 ·
Bailey:
The Container Store in Fashion Valley is a great place to shop. I've used hard-sided containers and have switched over to the soft-sided type as they are more flexible when loading the FJ for most of my extended trips (over 4 or 5 days). The rigid plastic containers are great if you need to stack them in camp however, especially if the weather is not ideal. I don't recommend hard-mounting a plastic container on top of the fridge--it'll block your rear visibility and block the fridge lid from being opened when you're inside the FJ. Your mileage may vary.

#32 ·
Very good point about the lid. I will more than likely leave the rear area alone. Thinking about it now, the best idea is to fold down the single seat and stack two more bins there. That is If I need to. The back seat is usually reserved for the pup. He doesn't need the entire row :rofl: ... May try to find a narrow bin I can put in front of the others. Just don't want to limit access to the extinguisher and tools.

Side note: most likely Headed to Anza Borrego for a day trip. Temps for today are not bad at all!!!

#33 ·
Two of the latest shots before the FJ goes on a diet. Aluminum bumper is on order! Excited for the finished product. Should be about 2 weeks or so...
AP has been removed. Rocking the stock for a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.