Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Rubble on the Double, Chitown4x4.com build #5.

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  chitown4x4 
#1 ·
Hey Fj forum Peeps!

This day marks a few mile stones! 1, I have been an FJ owner for 10 years or there abouts! Not saying its the same fj, but having one of the originals back in the fall winter of 06.

The second mile stone. This is my 5th Fj cruiser, and 5th build on this forum! (yea, kinda obsessed) In that time frame I have learned a whole awful lot about what to do, what not to do, and what I want out of my Fj.

The name of this FJ comes from my youngest one. She loves paw patrol and thought that the truck looked like Rubble from the show. So Rubble on the Double is the name of this one, and so far its sticking well which is good, considering the last 2 fjs were named Gizmo and Gizmo 2, this is a nice change.

I had an unfortunate accident with my 2013 Calvary blue FJ, AKA, Big Blue, Gizmo 2 and Jake. yall can see that build here. 2013 Calvary blue build i will wrap up that build and close it out, but that truck was a pretty well known truck locally and in the Fj circles.

So knowing exactly what I wanted out of my rig this time around, I wanted something more set up for over landing, and less slamming rocks.. This build just like others was to keep weight low, protection high and have full use of every facet of the rig. Keeping full interior intact for the family trips, and having enough power to tow my off road trailer.

After analyzing every year fj, and having owned 07-10-10-13 in the past, I figured I could make the very best of every year with enough patients and the use of a good junk yard fj ;-) (more on that as the mods start to flow)

So I found a 08 Trail Teams 6mt with less than 30k miles on it. the truck was very very clean (cleaner than my 13 was) and I had it shipped up from west Texas 1 month ago. here are the first pictures of my rig in this post. Thanks to CMEB4DK for helping buff off the hot texas bake that was on the truck, yuck!

Having a shop, and having most of this stuff in stock, building it was pretty easy, I mean really, we build FJ's every day, which makes it hard to carve time out to work on my own stuff when im dedicating so much time to others dreams and projects. So stay tuned to see what transpires. My thanks below gives away a massive amount of hints of where the build is headed, but these people have been wonderful to work with as vendors and business partners for many years, so thank you!

Special thanks for this build goes to in no particular order, Baja Designs, Shrockworks, Just Differentials, Expedition one, Cooper Tire, FN wheels, Oznium, Cruiserheads, Elgin Toyota, All the great people in the Midwest Off Road Group, Gorilla Automotive, Icon Vehicle Dynamics, RCI Metal Works, Wolcott CB, Magnuson Superchargers, SPOD, Factor 55, Lifetime LED Lights, Front Runner, Chitown4x4.com , Soundz Plus, GZILLA Designs, Indy Fj Cruisers, Chicago Fj Club, Total Chaos, Metal Tech 4x4, ARB, BajaRack, and lastly, my very accommodating wife who lets me wrench after hours to my hearts delight :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First mod comes from gzilla designs. Fj aluminum grab handles and a flash light holder! Also got the grill badge, but not installed yet! Great product and love having the flash light right near by.

Attachments

#4 ·
The truck was totally rust free except, it looked like the original battery spilled acid and it was flaking off the oem finish around the battery tray. I used a wire wheel and a dremel to scour the rust off and top Coat with primer and a clear for durability. Turned out clean.

Attachments

#5 ·
Parts are starting to make their way from the shop to the garage.. icon cdcv shocks extended front and rear, total chaos control arms. Fn wheels six shooters and Cooper St pro in 315-70-17. One picture here is telling. The extended travel vs regular travel shot,. It's 2.5" difference in hub travel!!!

Attachments

#9 ·
It's all coming together fast now, some guys from the local fj club came out and helped me hang the front and rear bumpers, install a few lights that are not powered yet. It's shaping up quick!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.