Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

The Bandi Build

192K views 552 replies 129 participants last post by  Iconic_ 
#1 · (Edited)
OK... here are a couple of shots (updated as I dod mods)... :rocker:

Current Status Image !!! (see the last page first for most upated info)...

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: ALL-PRO Lift and Swampers - Bandi's FJC

I was going to go with a very similar combination and same size LTBs. In the end I decided against it because so many of the trails out here require lots of highway time before you get there. That combination is going to look sick though. PIX, PIX and more PIX.

#6 ·

I guess this means i won't be following you on the next run in PA. But it will be good to know it will quiet some of the jeep guys.

#7 ·

1983FJ60 said:
Also, I think that they missed a spot on that tire, the weights don't go all the way around.
Well... LOL... Those weights are on the front and back BTW... LOL... BUT THEY ARE BALANCED... That is what i told the shop to do... Weights inside and out, no stick on weights and don't hold back on how much goes on, as long as they are BALANCED

MissFJ said:
sweet...after they're installed, what time are you picking me up?.
OH MY... I have not been asked out on a date since I was a teenager !!! I am so embarresed, an I don't have a thing to where either !!!:eek:

Anjee said:
cool, i'm happy for you! aggressive looking tires! can't wait to see the final product!.
Thank You Anjee !!! I can not wait either, I might just put them on before the lift just to stare at them... being that they are on stock steel rims, and only 10.5 widht, they would prolly not rub !!!... I'll let ya know :D

OffRoad Rage said:
I was going to go with a very similar combination and same size LTBs. In the end I decided against it because so many of the trails out here require lots of highway time before you get there. That combination is going to look sick though. PIX, PIX and more PIX.!.
I have always ran TSL SX on all my rigs... But they were 38x12.5x15... and as long as I had steel rims to put weights on both sides, and keep lots of air pressure for the rode, they are fine... TSL's with high pressure ride on the 2 center treads (zig-zag portion) which gives a smooth ride and very little tire resistance like on radial tires that make full contact with the road...

AND YES... PIX PIX PIX !!!!

#8 ·

yoda said:
I guess this means i won't be following you on the next run in PA. But it will be good to know it will quiet some of the jeep guys.
This just makes it easyier for me !!!... I won't be leaving the FJC Club... Greeen and Blus are just fine !!! :p

#9 ·

Assuming nothing rubs, you are going to have probably the best looking (proportionately) FJ out there. I love the look of tall skinny tires, Black rims, approx. 3" of lift, knobby tires...that thing is going to be sick! Nothing's going to look silly or out of whack. I can't wait to see it.

#11 · (Edited)

Those shocks are very nice, and sexy looking :D
I am behind the times when it comes to the 4th gen 4Runner/FJC lifts for the frontend.

My old '91 is so easy to lift.
Crank the aftermarket torsion bars, throw a set of Downey 1.5" coils in the back, call it good to go.

Many lifts to choose from here.
1. Spacers, AKA Revtek
2. The All Pro coil over shock combo
3. Old Man Emu coils and shocks.
4. Donahue coil and shocks

What are the advantages to this setup you have?
I see the spanner wrench, so that must mean you can dial in the lift in the front?
Kind of like the King shock/coil combos I have seen on Tacomas in the past.

Would you recommend this setup for an aftermarket bumper/winch combo, or go with the non adjustable coil and shock combos?

I am keeping my Warn XD9000 winch from the 4Runner, and I will install it on an All Pro/ARB/Demello/Bentup front bumper.
As you can see, I am undecided still as for the front.

But I got lots of time, my FJ has not even entered production yet.

#12 ·

Thats why I will never buy another pair of swampers.... They are a ****ty built tire... look at all the weight that was needed for a 34, I had 38's on my Tahoe so you can imagine how much they took that and they had to be rebalanced every 5K, I hope you have better experience with yours.

Hands down the best big tires out there is Toyo's AT / MT and the PJ Dirt Grips, they are unfortunatly the most expensive too...

But once again in life you get what you pay for!!!!

MACTIKI

#13 ·

MacTiki said:
Thats why I will never buy another pair of swampers.... They are a ****ty built tire... look at all the weight that was needed for a 34, I had 38's on my Tahoe so you can imagine how much they took that and they had to be rebalanced every 5K, I hope you have better experience with yours.

Hands down the best big tires out there is Toyo's AT / MT and the PJ Dirt Grips, they are unfortunatly the most expensive too...

But once again in life you get what you pay for!!!!

MACTIKI
Yeah, but none of the tires you mentioned could even hold a candle to Swampers offroad. SS's are offroad tires, they are not meant to be friendly on the highway. If you look at interco's less aggressive tires like the TrXus MT, you'll see that they are way easy to balance and fine on the road.

Comparing Swampers to Nitto's or Toyo's is like comparing apples to oranges. They are completely different beasts. I'm not dissing on Toyo's, but they are just meant for a totally different use.

#14 ·

4RnrJ said:
Yeah, but none of the tires you mentioned could even hold a candle to Swampers offroad. SS's are offroad tires, they are not meant to be friendly on the highway. If you look at interco's less aggressive tires like the TrXus MT, you'll see that they are way easy to balance and fine on the road.

Comparing Swampers to Nitto's or Toyo's is like comparing apples to oranges. They are completely different beasts. I'm not dissing on Toyo's, but they are just meant for a totally different use.
How about Pro Comp or Mickeys?

I've run Mickeys on my old Land Cruiser exclusively.

I liked them.

#15 ·

4RnrJ said:
...like the TrXus MT, you'll see that they are way easy to balance and fine on the road.
Nope. The TrXus sucks, too. Had a set of them on a dual-purpose 02 Chevy Avalanche. Difficult to balance and they wear in such a way that it will just piss you off. Unless you're mounting a set of Intercos on a second set of steelies for offroad use only, just stay away from them all-together.

-voodoo

#16 ·

Bandi,

I just finished up my all-pro lift but I can't remember the orginal hgt of the ground to to the fender bottom edge of the fender. can ya tape it off b/c I would like to dewt the front coil overs to the right ratio F-R/. I will say the every FJ needs to ride like it does now with the walker shoacks I drove for 3-weeks with just the fronts in the stock lift and it's great.

#17 ·

I had a pair of 35" Super Swampers, on a 79 k-5 blazer. I left the tire shop drove about 5 miles, they drove so horrid, I turned around and came back to the tire shop cause I thought they did something wrong. But after many checks it was just the swampers, so I switched to BFGs and and it was 100x smoother.
I have nitto mudders and was scared to get them cause the tred pattern was so aggressive, but even they dont ride anything as bad as swampers.

#19 ·

83greentoy said:
Bandi,
I just finished up my all-pro lift but I can't remember the orginal hgt of the ground to to the fender bottom edge of the fender. can ya tape it off b/c I would like to dewt the front coil overs to the right ratio F-R/. I will say the every FJ needs to ride like it does now with the walker shoacks I drove for 3-weeks with just the fronts in the stock lift and it's great.
I Just measured Miine, I have 36" at the back tire to plastic fender, and 35" in the front... Hope this helps... I will be putting mine in this weekend coming up...

Leroy...

#20 · (Edited)

TIRES TIRES TIRES... LOL...

Everyone has there own taste and performance wishes when it comes to their tires... I have never had a tire outperform my swampers... Yes, swamper take allot of weights to balance them, but they are also very thick and heavy, other than the old Ground Hawgs, you will not find a tire with deeper or larger lugs on it, and I did notice that Interco sells Ground Hawgs still...

There are some points needed to be know about the tires handling and setup...

They are noisy, but I like that roar sound myself... it gets people to take notice and not pull out in front of you...

They should not be run on rims where you can't have weights on the inside and outside, this way they CAN be balanced properly...

They also need to be driven about a mile to warm them up to soften the hard rubber so they will drive smooth... the hard rubber is needed for the very large lugs they have...

You front end alignment should be set as close to 0 degrees positive camber while still keeping some positive caster... This way the tire rides on the center zigzag lugs and not the ones on the side that will throw you around... Also of course, the toe should be set even, or just a hair in if you have warnout parts in the front of your rig...

The Air pressure should be set so that the outside lugs are just a hair off the road surface, again, so you ride on the center, not the outside lugs...

Anyway... I have ran Groung Hawg's, General MT's, Toyo's CUT, BFG MT's, TSL SX's, TSL LTB's... and the TSL's lasted the longest, in fact, I had 38's balanced on steels on my 81 F-150, and on my 87 F-250, and never had to buy another set for either of those vehicles... I also could run 80mph and still be smooth... I ran the Generals, Toyo's & the BFG,s on my 88 4Runner, they all wore real quick... My brother-in-law has had 35x15.5 TSL SX's on his F-150 for 6 years now, I would say he still has another year to go with them at least... what I am saying, is if the front is not set up right for the TSL's or any other tire, you will not get the performance you are looking for... TSL's take a little more work to have them set right, but their performance is Awsome...

OK... Now... I was not going to even type anything on this.. but, I just wanted people to know the truth behind the Interco TSL's and how to get good use from them and set things up properly from someone who has had them since the 80's, and not from someone's 2 mile drive on them...

Like I said above... there are things that you want to know about them before you buy and not be shocked afterwards...

#297 · (Edited)
They are 34x10.5x17 super swamper LTB-09 bias ply tires... WORST TIRE for rain, no side bite on wet roads... They used to be cheap, my 1st set was $110 each, second was $125 each, now they want $260 or so... at the lower price they wee worth it, but at the new high price, no way ! ! !

06-25-2006, 11:03 PM
TIRES TIRES TIRES... LOL...

Everyone has there own taste and performance wishes when it comes to their tires... I have never had a tire outperform my swampers... Yes, swamper take allot of weights to balance them, but they are also very thick and heavy, other than the old Ground Hawgs, you will not find a tire with deeper or larger lugs on it, and I did notice that Interco sells Ground Hawgs still...

There are some points needed to be know about the tires handling and setup...

They are noisy, but I like that roar sound myself... it gets people to take notice and not pull out in front of you...

They should not be run on rims where you can't have weights on the inside and outside, this way they CAN be balanced properly...

They also need to be driven about a mile to warm them up to soften the hard rubber so they will drive smooth... the hard rubber is needed for the very large lugs they have...

You front end alignment should be set as close to 0 degrees positive camber while still keeping some positive caster... This way the tire rides on the center zigzag lugs and not the ones on the side that will throw you around... Also of course, the toe should be set even, or just a hair in if you have warnout parts in the front of your rig...

The Air pressure should be set so that the outside lugs are just a hair off the road surface, again, so you ride on the center, not the outside lugs...

Anyway... I have ran Groung Hawg's, General MT's, Toyo's CUT, BFG MT's, TSL SX's, TSL LTB's... and the TSL's lasted the longest, in fact, I had 38's balanced on steels on my 81 F-150, and on my 87 F-250, and never had to buy another set for either of those vehicles... I also could run 80mph and still be smooth... I ran the Generals, Toyo's & the BFG,s on my 88 4Runner, they all wore real quick... My brother-in-law has had 35x15.5 TSL SX's on his F-150 for 6 years now, I would say he still has another year to go with them at least... what I am saying, is if the front is not set up right for the TSL's or any other tire, you will not get the performance you are looking for... TSL's take a little more work to have them set right, but their performance is Awsome...

OK... Now... I was not going to even type anything on this.. but, I just wanted people to know the truth behind the Interco TSL's and how to get good use from them and set things up properly from someone who has had them since the 80's, and not from someone's 2 mile drive on them...

Like I said above... there are things that you want to know about them before you buy and not be shocked afterwards...

#21 ·

TrAiL bUs said:
That's what I'm going for eventually All Pro lift and 34". Can't wait for pics, tell us how it handles on the trail soon as possible (articulation report, and rubbing issues).Enjoy:)
I am calling ALL-PRO tomorrow to see if they can get me the upper control arms by friday... Once All is done, I will give a full report !!!

#22 ·

Oni said:
I'm waiting to hear a review of those Walker Evan's coil overs! They look sweet!

Is that an old Katana in the background?
Yes it is a Katana... Nice Catch !!! Did you notice the Halfpipe too ??

#23 ·

4RnrJ said:
VERY WELL PUT 4Rnr !!!

#24 ·

MacTiki said:
But once again in life you get what you pay for!!!! MACTIKI
BUT... I Do know exactly what I want and what I am getting and paying for ($122 A TIRE SHIPPED), All the weights on the tires, the steel rims... I have had these before and I know how to set up !! What you see as "&^%&ty", I SEE GOLD !!! :D

#25 ·

bandi said:
BUT... I Do know exactly what I want and what I am getting and paying for ($122 A TIRE SHIPPED), All the weights on the tires, the steel rims... I have had these before and I know how to set up !! What you see as "&^%&ty", I SEE GOLD !!! :D
Your crazy, yet bulletproof, logic has convinced me.

Show pictures of your "born again hard" FJC when you're done:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.