Ghost FJ Build - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Ghost FJ Build

After lurking on this forum for a year, I pulled the trigger and purchased my new to me FJ Cruiser on July 18, 2015. I have to admit I bought it because it looks cool and I had no offroading experience prior to purchasing this truck. But after taking it on some dirt roads I realized it was more capable than my skills were. I then took a beginners offroad class by Badlands Offroad Adventures (http://www.4x4training.com) with Tom Severin and off we went...

Thank you to all those who contributed to this forum. With the knowledge on this forum, google and youtube, I was able to complete all of my mods thus far in my own garage.

This was the day I bought it:

2013 Iceberg 4x4 AT, bought used from Carmax with about 21K on the odometer. Im not even sure what package it came with but it was pretty much a base model with Rear diff locker.

And this is how it looks like now:

I decided to name my FJ "Ghost" after the white direwolf from Game of Thrones.

BUILD LIST

ARMOR:
Trailworx front tube bumper (Evil eye)
RCI steel skids- Front, transmission, transfer case (Rustoleum satin red)
OPOR Rear LCA front mount skid
Pure FJ rock sliders (Rustoleum textured black)

LIGHTS:
PIAA 520's crystal ion fog lights
22" 120W Ebay spot/flood CREE LED lightbar
-clear/amber lenses
-Rugged Radios 1.75" billet tube mounts

WINCH/RECOVERY:
ViperMax 4x4 Recovery 13K winch
-Orange synthetic line
-Winch solenoid relocated to behind grill
Factor 55 Prolink (red)
Ellis Precision aluminum hawse fairlead (red)
48" HiLift
Powerbuilt 3-Ton All-in-One Jack
Harbor freight 3 ton bottle jack
Krazy Beaver shovel

EXTERIOR:
All-pro Bandi mount
3' firestick CB antenna (black)
4gal Rotopax
Exterior Blackout (Duplicolor bumper and trim paint)
Black Tundra door handles
Off-road Garage Snorkel (Kazakhstan) (install instructions http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post8178785)
Dirty Deeds Industries high tuck tail pipe
Half rack mod
Trasharoo
ARB awning

INTERIOR:
On board CO2
-Beverage Factory 10lb CO2 tank
-The "Source" Hyperflo 150psi fixed regulator (Wheeler's Offroad)
-Viair 88P air compressor (backup)
Ellis Precision shift knobs (pewter)
Midland 75-822 CB radio
Android head unit-Carjoying
Coverking spacer mesh custom seat covers
Dometic CFX-40US fridge/freezer

UNDER THE HOOD:
Fumoto Valve
Winch kill switch
-PAC 500 amp solenoid
Dual Battery System
-Diehard AGM Gold and Odyssey 34-PC1500
-NVX BIR500 500 Amp Relay Isolator
DIY Windshield washer fluid bottle relocation
Rear Scuba mod: E-locker and rear diff
Hayden 678 aux transmission cooler

SUSPENSIONS, TIRES, WHEELS:
Front: Fox 2.5 Factory Series Coil-Over IFP
Rear: Fox 2.0 with reservoir/cd adjusters
SPC Light Racing UCA
SAW 1.5 rear springs
Metaltech offset rear LCA
Mastercraft Courser MXT 285/70/17
Stock wheels
-Rustoleum bedliner
-Rustolem black satin

PENDING MODS:
TRD brake pads
TPMS hack

REMOVED MODS:
Stock roof rack
Nfab nerf bars
Toytec ultimate lift
Front camera

--------------------------------------

(Mostly) Chronological order of mods

1.First mod/mistake was adding the NFab nerf bars. Makes for a nice step but gets caught up on the trails.

2.ATRAC button mod was easily the best bang for the buck
(Mod Resource: A-TRAC Switch)

3.Allpro Bandi mount with Midland 75-822 CB radio. Should have used a step drill, almost had a mishap with the normal drill bit.
(Mod resource: PcCruiser's CB Install)

4.Went to my first offroad class. Nerf bars kept getting caught on the ledges so off they went in exchange for PURE FJ sliders

5.Blackout silver bits with Duplicolor bumper and trim paint

6.I found the first $2000 forum thread and was convinced that stronger rear LCAs were needed. Metaltech offset rear LCA with OPOR skids
(Mod resource: The first $2000)

7a. Adding the Dashpod...cutting this square with a dremel was nerve-racking. Measure twice cut once. Some think it's useless but I find myself using the temp and compass often.
(Mod resource: Dash Pod gauges install /w pics)

7b. Android Head unit installed. Ordered directly from Carjoying's website (https://www.carjoying.com/).

Replaced the OEM usb/aux port with this one (https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...campaign=43737). Works well.

GPS antenna placed here hidden under the dash pod cover. Strong GPS signal in this location.

8.I needed better tires but needed a lift first so that I could fit 285/70/17 size tires. After some research, I went with a more budget friendly Toytec Ultimate Lift and SPC light racing UCA and a set of used SAW 1.5 rear springs

9.Decided to go with Mastercraft Courser MXT LT285/70/17 Load E tires mainly for the aggressive mud terrain tread pattern, good reviews and also they are one of the lighter MTs on the market (56lbs each). Made in America by Cooper tires. Only draw back is the 2-ply sidewalls. I have had 18K miles on these now, with every 5k mile rotation. They are wearing well and I expect to get about 35-40K miles on them. Road noise was minimal at first but is more noticeable now. Soft, smooth ride on road and does pretty well offroad

10.Because I often go out alone for the most part, I wanted to get a winch bumper for self recovery and also for better approach angles. Did some research and decided on a tube bumper for weight savings. I was initially set on the MetalTech tube bumper but found Trailworx Fabrication which looks better in my opinion with the option of the 3 hoop evil eye design. It's light (60-70lbs), strong and provides very good approach angles.

2013 Iceberg AT 4x4
Ghost FJ Build

Last edited by Loganbeere; 03-19-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)
Ghost FJ Build

(Mostly) Chronological order of mods (continued)

11. DIY windshield washer fluid bottle relocation due to aftermarket bumper exposing the bottle. Decided on this $20 option.
(Mod resource: http://www.fjcforums.com/forums/off-...tml#post322324)

Bottle: 1.5 Quart Natural Tank w/Mounting Tabs 7.74" L x 3.62" W x 5.9" H (2-1/4" Neck) | U.S. Plastic Corp. (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...6229&catid=934)
Cap: 2-1/4" Un-vented Black Nylon Cap | U.S. Plastic Corp. (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...4512&catid=934)

Its very good quality, fits right into that slot without any modifications
Get a hole saw for the drill to make the holes for the 2 pumps, i drilled one on the bottom and one on the side
I got some galvanized steel wire at Home depot to make the bracket to hold it in place
Does not rattle at all, no issues offroad
For $20 there is your windshield fluid bottle relocation

12. Went with the Vipermax 13K winch based on good reviews by many members on this forum. Added Ellis precision red aluminum hawse fairlead and Factor 55 prolink to the mix. It was at this point that I decided red was my accent color.

Winch solenoid control box was initially relocated to the top of the fuse box
(Mod resource: ENGO Winch Install with Solenoid Relocation)

The cables were too messy to me so I relocated the winch solenoid again to behind the grill. I have a remote and still have some space to plug the wire controller in.

An in-cabin winch kill switch was added with PAC 500 solenoid for safety.

13. Tires mounted and stock wheels painted with Rustoleum bedliner and Rustoleum black satin paint. Cleaned with soap and water, sanded with 3M 200 grit sanding block. 3 light coats of rustoleum spray on bedliner and 3 light coats of rustoleum black satin paint. No problems with wheel balance. The bedliner undercoat really makes the finish solid and resistant to chipping. No chips at all after 8 months. Bits of scrape on the lip of the wheel when grinding against rocks. Not sure any kind of wheel/finish would be resistant to that.

14. PIAA 520 crystal ion fog lights added.

15. RCI Metalworks steel skids (front, transmission and transfer case) were next and painted red to match the other accents. The small window for oil changes is key as these skids are heavy. A rear diff skid may be in the works in the near future.

16. DIY Dual Battery system with NVX BIR500 500 Amp Relay Isolator, 2 AWG battery cables, 250amp fuses
Batteries: Diehard AGM Gold Group 34 (main) and Odyssey 34R-PC1500 (aux)

(Mod resource: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...y-setup-for-50)

I ordered battery cables from this eBay seller. Multiple lengths and configurations to pick from.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Gauge-AWG-...mdLPjUjgzJK0Tg

Aux battery monitor placed here
Mod resource (USB Charge port question)

17. Scuba mod for rear diff and E locker. Didn't do the front breathers due to 2013 ones being high enough under the hood already for me. SoCal terrain is mostly dry desert with rocks so not much in the way of water crossings but I anticipated some water crossings at FJ Summit X so went ahead with this relatively easy and cheap mod.
(Mod resource: SCUBA Driver Transmission, Transfer Case, Rear Differential & E-Locker Breather MOD)

18. After a few stories on Facebook of Bilstein 5100s folding over at the lower stem, I decided to upgrade the front suspension with Fox 2.5 Factory Series Coil-Over IFP. The Toytecs were better than stock and while on road they were fine but washboard roads were rough. Fox's feel alot smoother offroad. Fox's for the rears are also on order to match the front.

19. Hayden aux transmission cooler installed and transmission fluid was flushed with 14qt of Toyota WS ATF at this point with 43K miles on odometer. I don't do any towing but climb 4000 ft mountains regularly. Will help protect the transmission with slow crawling off road as well. Easy enough mod and makes it super easy to flush the transmission now which i plan on doing every 50K miles
(Mod resource: Installing a Transmission Cooler - instructions with pics and DIY Auto Transmission flush?)

20. I was using a VIAIR 88P air compressor which was relatively slow and gets hot with use so I pieced together an on board CO2 system with a Beverage Factory 10lb CO2 aluminum tank and The "Source" Hyperflo 150psi fixed regulator purchased from Wheeler's Offroad. Mounted it in the back with piece of wood and two super quick fists. Will mount the fire extinguisher next to it as well. Used it last week and was able to air up all four tires in about 2-3 minutes from 20 psi to 38 psi. Also aired up another SoCal forum member's tires in the same setting as well. There was a little bit of frost on the regulator after airing up 8 tires but no problems with flow. Using rubber hose made from recycled goodyear tires and a gas station style tire chuck. It impressed me.
(Mod resource: Build Your Own CO2 Tank System High Quality & Lowest Cost)

21. Swapped an Amazon spot LED lightbar for an EBay spot/flood LED lightbar. So far so good. 120w CREE LED with amber lens for flood and clear for spot.
Tube mounts for Lightbar: http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.ph...04a467901fe069

Continue with mods here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post8038458

2013 Iceberg AT 4x4
Ghost FJ Build

Last edited by Loganbeere; 03-19-2017 at 06:44 PM.
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 08:54 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Loganbeere's Iceberg Build

2 posts and its already built? LOL its a great looking rig. I like those rims blacked out. Are they holding up to offroading?
Loganbeere likes this.

Steve 07 FJ with almost enough mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Sanderhawk previously said: View Post
2 posts and its already built? LOL its a great looking rig. I like those rims blacked out. Are they holding up to offroading?

Lol, thank you. it's been ongoing just decided to document it now. The wheels are good for the most part. No chips. But the rim will scratch if hit up against big rocks
Sanderhawk likes this.

2013 Iceberg AT 4x4
Ghost FJ Build
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Loganbeere previously said: View Post
Lol, thank you. it's been ongoing just decided to document it now. The wheels are good for the most part. No chips. But the rim will scratch if hit up against big rocks
I`ve had my FJ for almost 10 1/2 years now and its getting close to getting a rebuild. All my mods are pretty old now. I want to get it painted get the kings rebuilt and refurbish a few of the other mods I got. It just started snowing tonite so all this will have to wait until at least spring just because .....its cold
Loganbeere likes this.

post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Sanderhawk previously said: View Post
I`ve had my FJ for almost 10 1/2 years now and its getting close to getting a rebuild. All my mods are pretty old now. I want to get it painted get the kings rebuilt and refurbish a few of the other mods I got. It just started snowing tonite so all this will have to wait until at least spring just because .....its cold
give us feedback on the WILDPEAK A/T3W TIRE, they look great!

2013 Iceberg AT 4x4
Ghost FJ Build
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)
Loganbeere's Iceberg Build

Random adventures

FJ Summit X
Zero'sFJ, debFJVT, Iconic_ and 3 others like this.

2013 Iceberg AT 4x4
Ghost FJ Build
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Garage

G'Day L,
sweet build.....
Well done....
Cheers
Baz
Loganbeere likes this.
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:22 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage

Woah!!!!!!
Damn that rig is sick looking. Nice work!!!! When my Fj grows up it wanted to be like yours lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Loganbeere likes this.

TARVER KING
post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 07:11 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Loganbeere previously said: View Post
give us feedback on the WILDPEAK A/T3W TIRE, they look great!
I ended up driving in the snow yesterday. I live on very steep hill they stuck great never spun the tires once. The tire is perfectly quite on the freeway. I love the look of them. When I bought them on Friday Discount tire said the were redesigned from the first set that I had on my truck. I cant wait to get on a trail with them the side walls look like they will bite into anything.
Loganbeere likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.