Polishing a shiny turd - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I see silver!

I feel like the FJ has so many shortcomings as an stock vehicle. Or I guess you could say potential to be positive.

I came from a land rover that didn't really need much from factory to conquer most California trails. Realistically, I don't have time to upkeep an old vehicle . But after getting the FJ, I feel like so many parts need reinforcing. Weak spindles, control arms/links, skids, fender ripping, elocker that doesn't lock etc. Please don't think I'm bashing the FJ, i feel like there's so much from the factory that needs attention. Also coming from my rover which felt top heavy, I'll be trying to keep this vehicle near stock height. Low and wide, instead of lifting and realizing I need larger tires to fill the wells.

I'm not planning a major build but hopefully most all things I can do are bolt on or what I have time to DIY since much like you, we're shorter on time these days. Growing up but not growing out of having fun!

I just wanted to use this thread to document things that were going to make my ride more enjoyable and reliable for me and my girlfriend. I enjoy desert running and the crawl and climb. If you're not in California, there's everything from beaches to mountains here, so it's best to be prepared. This is my first Toyota so please be kind.

Current
Color: Ti Silver /white roof quarters/silver roof panel (mistake by autobody shop oops)
Trans: AT
Tires: Hankook Dynapro MT 295/75R16
Mileage: 122k

Before
MY: 2007
Color: Ti Silver /white roof
Trans: AT
Tires: Hankook Dynapro MT 265/70r17
Mileage: 118k

Future plans (am i getting ahead off myself?)
Replace all fluids with synthetic
Gas/water can carrier
UCA, rear upper and lower link
Scuba mod
Cam tab, shock tower, engine mount gussett.
Curry anti rock rear sway
Prerunner bumper

Engine
√ Toyota oil and air filter
√ Castro syntec 5w-20

Suspension
√16x8 -25 wheels
√ 295/75R16 Hankook dynapro mt
√ Wheelers bumpstops front and rear
√ King 2.5 coilovers with CSS rear springs +.5" 205 lb-in
√ Toyman gussetted spindle
√ Allpro UCA
√ Whiteline adjustable panhard
Mwstudt sliding disco endlinks
Metaltech rear links

Interior
√ Coverking Neoprene 11/2/16
√ ram mount tab holder
√ blue tooth wireless adapter
√ 10lb co2 tank
√ 2.5 Halon fire extinguisher

Exterior
√ Factory fender removal
√ RCI skids
√ Baja Rack Flat Utility
√ Demello hybrid sliders
√ Deezee ladder
Olympic 4x4 gas can mount 10gallons

Current condition 1/7/17

Loganbeere likes this.

Last edited by jamesepoop; 03-23-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Re: Polishing a shiny turd

10/7/16
Here's a picture from the Autotrader ad. Yes, I'm sentimental.

I got some SCS F5 from fellow member Laobron. Stand up guy to deal with. These are 16x8 3.5BS. Mounted some 295/75 on there. Probably a little bigger than I should have gone with but out of aesthetics, the 295 looked more in proportion than 285. Also I like the ground clearance.
Hankook Dynapro 295/75

12/10/2016
Attempted to fit 295. Caster could be adjusted but a solid body karate chop will due for now. Removed and relocated fender flares to trash receptacle.

12/14/2016
I don't know how people removed their fender trim. Ended up hacking it up for the front and rear to keep the plastic door trim flowing and the same theme. I haven't had time to finish the driverside. Also, I know it's doing the lean in the front, but going to wait for proper suspension.

12/27/16
AFE exhaust install. Hi-Tuck model in 2.5" as I wasn't looking for a loud increase BUT I was looking for straighter piping unlike the stock which has lots of dents in the piping for clearance. Also hoping the straighter flow of piping might allow the engine to expel the exhaust gases more efficiently.

12/28/16
FJToymanoffroad.com gussetted spindles. Replaced the haggard gaskets National Oil Seal PN#710573 and Toyota o-ring PN#90301-92003
Kind of a jump in mods. I knew I wanted to upgrade the front end so I ordered these with rear shock skids from FJtoyman but there's a core charge so I had to get it on sooner than later.

1/6/17
Skids by RCI. I had these from their recent group buy and was lagging to put them on. Finally made time to mount up. Also lubed the driveshaft while i was down there. Bottom side stouter than a pint of Guinness!
Mileage:119k

1/13/17 Demello. Installing hybrid sliders

Loganbeere likes this.

Last edited by jamesepoop; 03-23-2017 at 05:43 AM.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

1/28/17 The build continues. Finished a no name 10lb co2 tank. Used on 1/29/17 and super happy with it. In the future I plan to carry an impact wrench so for emergency situations.

2/2/17 Baja flat rack. Can't wait to have a future RTT. It's my dream to tour across with my girlfriend. Also, my rack mounts are questionable at the moment. I'm using basket rack mounts which are lower flat utility mounts. If you ever need more clearance, this is the go-to. My air dam touches my roof at the moment. Currently cutting up spacers. Will update.

2/7/17 Stant locking cap installed No more siphon pirates allowed!

2/9/17 Changed oil at 122k with Castrol full synthetic 5w30. Not sure what was last in it. Current avg mpg is 16.5mpg

2/10/17 Installed ram mounts with a 10" tablet for a map source. Gaia Maps works awesome! Also good for entertainment for the passenger.

Hitting the mule Canyon/Phillips loop trail in Calico 2-11-17

2/17/17 Rainy days here in so cal so I thought I would start planning out my gas/water situation. Looking at adding about 140 lbs of weight on the rear door. Bad idea? Probably, but I'm not planning on a rear swing out. And Rotopax carriers aren't my preference. I've had a bad experience with poly gas cans expanding in the sun and when going to deserts at 120* it's not something you want to worry about.

2/21/17 this just happened! I need to have tower, cam tabs and engine mounts gussetted. May just get that done before the shiny stuff.

2/22/17 Couldn't wait. +.5" CSS springs, 10% stiffer.

Sitting there wrenching my life a quarter turn at a time. Install tip Have an angled ratcheting wrench set. 19mm for these. Would have gone much faster and made life easier.

FJ Toyman Shock Skid. One of the best thought out designs for a shock skid (IMO) compared to what the others are putting out for the same price.

3/11/17 These orange boots ain't made for walking

3/12/17 Rear gas mount mod to a Olympic 4x4 rotopax mount

3/23/17 Whiteline Panhard. Thrust angle is barely off, but I'm a bit of a stickler for those things. If you're into cars and driving fast, you might know Whiteline. Many people use them for HPDE/solo/rally cross because they're solid and budget friendly. Weighed in at 12.6lbs. Stock is 12.2lbs.

3/29/17 Rotopax gas can mount fitted and base plate fabbed. Extra 10 gallons!

4/10/17 Replaced the front and rear diff fluids with Shaeffer Manufacturing parasynthetic 75w-90 @127kmiles. Finally finished rear scuba mod! So easy and I don't know why I waited lol.

4/25/17 Installed limit straps on the front. But I think it needs another .25" adjustment. For now it's fine, I just want something to aid the droop, not cut out the travel completely.
Loganbeere likes this.

Last edited by jamesepoop; 04-30-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

Im sure most of those worries are forum based. I assure you once you get it out there you will be pleased. Dont feel the need to throw a bunch of parts at it until you try it out!
Interested to see the build! Welcome aboard.

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:08 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Agreed^^^ Don't worry the FJC is quite sufficient out of the box for what 98% of people do. What you see on the forum is what 2% of people do with their FJ. IMO spindle gussets aren't needed unless you are hitting curbs at 40 mph, OE rear lower links will get you by on moderate trails, and even skids IMO are optional with a lift and decent driving, even while rock crawling.

Don't be afraid to wheel it in its current condition to get a feel for what it can do.

Just trying to give you some advice before you spend your hard earned $$.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:32 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
I came from a land rover that didn't really need much from factory to conquer most California trails. Realistically, I don't have time to upkeep an old vehicle . But after getting the FJ, I feel like so many parts need reinforcing. Weak spindles, control arms/links, skids, fender ripping, elocker that doesn't lock etc. Please don't think I'm bashing the FJ, i feel like there's so much from the factory that needs attention.
My advice would be to try the FJ on some of the trails you want to run first. A stock FJ can do every trail but Poughkeepsie (which the main issue is ground clearance) at FJ Summit, and I've run Traildamage rated 4/5 difficulty trails here in Colorado with factory FJ's that still have the dealer plates on them.

There are two types of people who build their FJ's like you're talking about: the ones that want to use their skidplates to get over obstacles, and the ones that want to have the skidplates there in case they mess up and hit an obstacle. For the trails you're doing, which are they: equipment or insurance?

As for fenders ripping and your e-locker not working, (a) they fixed the fender bulging in the 2010+ trucks and (b) the e-lockers take a bit of back and forth sometimes to get locked. Not to say that yours can't be broken, but odds are it isn't unless the previous owner did something stupid to it. For the level of trails you say you're doing, you should never need the locker. Does your truck have an ATRAC button? If not, get that and enable ATRAC. I wheel some of the hardest trails here in Colorado and have used my rear locker 5 times: ATRAC is that good.
tomwill55, Thorn661 and jamesepoop like this.

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
I feel like the FJ has so many shortcomings as an stock vehicle. Or I guess you could say potential to be positive.
I have a 1990 4runner setup as a pretty legit. Baja rig, which is my basis for comparison. Off the lot, even without proper tires my FJ is really impressive and can even do some things my "prerunner" can't do when it comes to crawling type activities.

Every vehicle has it's limitations, modified or not and the more you modify a rig, the narrower it's application becomes. As a novice, I find my stock FJ gets me over the gnarly washed out NorCal roads I can find an excuse to drive. . . but it wouldn't like the black diamond trails at Hollister Hills SVRA without more ground clearance. That ground clearance can be had without getting too crazy

- Robot
jamesepoop likes this.

f0rgiv3 m3, i haz t3h dum6
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I have basically the same setup you, but I leveled the front with Bilstein 5100's and run 285/70/17 tires. I ran some pretty rocky trails this past weekend and never scraped once. On the rocky hill climbs, I used 4 low with atrac engaged and had no problems at all. I never used my locker. I understand what you are saying, but these FJ's are very good off road. Even my friends with Rubicon's agree.
Attached Images

2007 FJ Cruiser • 4x4 • Terra Grappler 285/70/17 • Bilstein 5100's • ATRAC • Locking Rear Diff • Hella 500 Lights
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
My advice would be to try the FJ on some of the trails you want to run first. A stock FJ can do every trail but Poughkeepsie (which the main issue is ground clearance) at FJ Summit, and I've run Traildamage rated 4/5 difficulty trails here in Colorado with factory FJ's that still have the dealer plates on them.
We even had one completely bone stock FJ make it up the wall this year. Didn't meet the driver but met someone in his group and I guess the guy was a really experienced driver and they were in an FJ they borrowed from their friends.
debFJVT likes this.

2007 Ti-Silver FJ Cruiser

IG: @catttanner

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." ~ Mark Twain
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Thank you for all the positive replies! That's exactly what I like to hear. It's not that I don't have confidence in the vehicle. I know it's very capable. Maybe I've been reading the forums too much and sound like I have something to prove

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
For the trails you're doing, which are they: equipment or insurance?
If not, get that and enable ATRAC. I wheel some of the hardest trails here in Colorado and have used my rear locker 5 times: ATRAC is that good.
A little bit of both. I've been driving trails for awhile and realize that you have to use your equipment to get around. But there are times I've probably been lucky that more damage hasn't been done to my vehicle, so the insurance is nice that I prepared ahead of time. Ie. I had a friend who's ICON coilover snapped (possibly due to a bumpstop/bottom out) and took out his CV. I overheard the towing was $1300 alone

I'll be in CO in June for a ragnar event. I'd love to drive some trails with you guys!

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
...What you see on the forum is what 2% of people do with their FJ. IMO spindle gussets aren't needed unless you are hitting curbs at 40 mph..... Don't be afraid to wheel it in its current condition to get a feel for what it can do.
Glad I'll be able to hit the malls at a good speed then, no crawling for me hah. You made a good point of getting out there as there's no replacement for experience. I need to stop reading these forums, they give me bad ideas!

Quote:
Robot previously said: View Post
I have a 1990 4runner setup as a pretty legit. Baja rig, which is my basis for comparison. Off the lot, even without proper tires my FJ is really impressive and can even do some things my "prerunner" can't do when it comes to crawling type activities.
I would love to see this 4runner baja rig. Have a few pictures or a build thread?

Quote:
Racer X FJ previously said: View Post
I have basically the same setup you...
Thanks man. That's inspiring. I guess I read too much of the forums and get inspired as well. I like your rock rails. I only have running boards right now and I don't think that would put up much of a fight next to that boulder on your driverside up there!

Last edited by jamesepoop; 12-07-2016 at 02:43 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.