Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

4XX4 My Blacksand Beast - 'El Toro Rojo'

23K views 62 replies 27 participants last post by  4XX4 
#1 · (Edited)

It all started when I saw the new FJC's hit Maui's only Toyota dealership. I had heard that Toyota was doing a "comeback" of the old LandCruiser, more affordable for the masses (the LC's run too much for my wallet). So I took a closeup look of the oddly colored (VD and SF) rigs on display one night after hours. Pricing was reasonable. Styling was incredible. Off road reviews were ecstatic. I was hooked. That was April of '06. My '95 Blazer had turned over 110,000 miles and was bleeding me dry with repairs. But I was not ready to buy anything brand new.

Yet.

I visited Toyota.com on a regular basis for several months. I dropped a few hints to my way better half. It worked. Good thing she knows many of the prominent business people on this rock. A deal was struck in December '06 for delivery in January of a nicely loaded Black Cherry.

In the meantime, the SE TRD's (4) came in and I came within inches of bagging one. But I was an hour late. The last one sold before I called.

So after an agonizing eternity (and a blast in Whistler), the truck came home on January 9th, 2007.

~to be continued~

Then-

Today

Came to me as:

2007 4x4 AT
package #2
running boards ( bye-bye early )
roof rack

Mods to date~chronologically

Blacked out bezel
Sway-a-Way 2.5" Racerunner Coilovers
Sway-a-Way rear shocks
Sway-a-Way rear springs
Metal Tech rail sliders
DeMello Front PreRunner Winch Bumper w/ hoop
DeMello Front Skid
DeMello Clamps
Spidertrax wheel spacers (removed and sitting on shelf, no longer need them)
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ 305/65/17
3/4" D-rings
4T recovery rope
PIAA 520's
48" Hi-Lift
Walker Evans Beadlocks

Future Mods

Lower links
Winch
And whatever else comes to me.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: My Blacksand Beast - 'El Toro Rojo'

The Blacked out Bezel-

Ok, it wasn't my idea, but I never liked the silverish plastic look from day one. And this is such an easy mod I can't help but wonder why most people haven't done it.

Dragon's thread-
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/20329-painted-bezel-thread.html

The lift-
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-tech/37984-new-lift-sway-way-s.html

No detailed instructions, as I had my local 4x4 shop install them, but can say the ride quality has improved greatly. I just have to hit the rear shocks with PB Blaster every week, and the 2.5" coilovers rub ever so slightly on my swaybar. Not the shops fault BTW, they were great in trying to help me eliminate the problems. But their supplier has been a total pain to deal with. Replacements will be done when these wear out.

The Sliders-
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/44941-mt-sliders-fj-s-birthday.html

I think that Metal Tech, Mark and LT are great to work with. Their products are some of the best here, so I sprung for their sliders as my first armor job on the FJ. Easy install, just bolt them up.

The Bumper and Skid-
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ed-trigger-demello-prerunner-its-way-but.html

After perusing every bumper thread here, I was so impressed with TCao's [no-hoop], Air2air's, Wrigman's and ThyIrishMen's bumpers, that I chose the PreRunner w/ hoop from DeMello Offroad. I have wanted to work with Jason and his crew after all of the great writeups for so long that when he announced his Big Sale, I jumped all over it [a few days late]. He's such a great businessman that he extended the prices to me without hesitation. Is that going to translate into future purchases? You bet.

Shoes-

Found a great deal from my favorite local 4x4 shop. Slightly used and a good deal of tread left on a set of 33" ProComp XTerrain's. I just needed to fit the Spidertrax spacers on first in order to clear the UCA's and so far, no rubbing on the body mount. I'm sticking with the stock alloys for now, and it doesn't look too shabby.

#4 · (Edited)

I'm confused...

Isn't that a Black Cherry - "The Red Bull"

...not a Blacksand Beast?

A.W.D.
\

:lol: Last time I checked, cherries were red. Has something changed and no one told me?

So in essence, it's the Blacksand.......... Beast, not the Black..........Sandbeast

Black sand is prevalent on Maui and the Big Island. One of my favorite beaches ( which I used to wheel on many years ago) is called -what else- Blacksand beach in Makena.

#6 ·

Lookin' good, Mike!! :cheers: :cheers:

Apparently you were able to get those stock bumper bolts out. How big of a "BFH" did it take?? :lol: :lol:
A three pound sledge and a coupla good hard whacks per bolt. :lol:

A special thanks to ThyIrishMen. :cheers:

#8 · (Edited)

Nice looking cherry.
I bet you say that to all the guys :ladysman:

Thanks Froggo

#11 ·
#12 ·

We own a BC ....(more inside mods than out that this point)......but those photos sure make me want to ship it, and myself, to Hawaii.

That and the fact that it is currently 103 here in Hades today. :boohoo:

The Blacksand Beast sure is pretty!

#13 ·

We own a BC ....(more inside mods than out that this point)......but those photos sure make me want to ship it, and myself, to Hawaii.

That and the fact that it is currently 103 here in Hades today. :boohoo:

The Blacksand Beast sure is pretty!
Thanks! Hitting 100 early this year, eh?

And I thought 89 was hot. :lol:

#15 ·

Nice write up Mike. Now go and get rid of the "el reservo"! :lol:

#17 ·

Great looking BC! :)

#22 ·

Great looking BC! :)
Thanks!!

Very clean!
Lovin' it!! Thanks again, Jason. You guys are #1 for a reason.

Great pic!

Let's see more blacksand. :bigthumb:
Thanks, Thong. I'll do a trip to the blacksand to get pics when I can.

Air2air move to Maui? One of a kind in Hawaii for sure. I know the feeling about wanting to go to California Dessert Looks good Mike.
Someday Billy, we'll ship our rigs and do a month long expedition.

#25 ·

Nice ride - beautiful place - :bigthumb:

-

#30 ·
#31 ·
Great looking ride. Just remind everyone, who questioned the name of your rig, where you live.

#32 ·
It's about time Mike that you post up the Blacksand Beast's own thread!

It's looking good buddy!, I wish you were over here to hit the trails in Ouray with us this year :cheers:

#34 · (Edited)

Thanks for the compliments.

Mike, I hate missing Ouray again this year, but I will get there someday. I'll just have to live vicariously through your reports.

#36 ·
Thought you disappeared! :D Good to see you back.

#38 ·
Finally got around to adding another mod. The long awaited new shoes.

Not exactly new- I needed some recovery gear and my local shop had just recently swapped a set and had some decent tread left on a set of ProComps.

I called Spidertrax and within a few days my spacers were on and ready. I've read quite a few posts on the durability of these spacers so I'm plunging ahead with no regrets.

Tomorrow I'm heading up Haleakala (Polipoli park) and doing a run to see how everything works. Then I'm heading over to Oahu later this month to run with the Aloha FJ'ers.

#39 ·
Finally got around to adding another mod. The long awaited new shoes.

Not exactly new- I needed some recovery gear and my local shop had just recently swapped a set and had some decent tread left on a set of ProComps.

I called Spidertrax and within a few days my spacers were on and ready. I've read quite a few posts on the durability of these spacers so I'm plunging ahead with no regrets.

Tomorrow I'm heading up Haleakala (Polipoli park) and doing a run to see how everything works. Then I'm heading over to Oahu later this month to run with the Aloha FJ'ers.
That looks great :bigthumb:. I think your rig and Air2Air's are about the only one's I've seen with that front bumper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.