Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2010 TT 6MT manual Interesting

5K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  ZUNAMI1 
#1 · (Edited)
Follow me on a Build thread. Just bought this 2010 Trail Teams Manual Transmission at a Copart auction. Salvaged and wrecked. I am in the process of getting it shipped. I have always liked the 2010 TT and manual transmissions just feel right in a FJ. So a new member posted a low mileage 2010 and when I contacted him he wanted a mint for the unit. Sure was nice and caused a flare up. In a couple years of casual searching I have not seen a 2010 TT MT at a asking price that I would approach. Understanding that I already have more than 1 FJ currently and drive one almost everyday my motivation is other than the typical FJ buyer.

When a Copart unit came up with a Buy It now I watched it closely and vasodilated over doing what seemed to be a good buy it now price. Well I decided that if it went to auction I would try to get it for less at a steal of a price or not at all. Well I bid just enough through a broker to WIN. I am pretty excited to see it in person. I am a little concerned because it went cheaper than I would expect suggesting damage in inspection is more than I would revealed by the limited pictures accompanied by listing. Nevertheless, I have this posted for transport across the country and waiting pick up.

I will post the saga as it unfolds and use first two posts document most of the work.

Step:
1. Bought on Copart 2/9/17

2. Posted with Dispatch for transport. 2/13/17

3. Got picked up. 2-21

4. Received 2-24 a lot of new parts hanging on a tweaked frame. Not what I expected but workable.

See less See more
#7 ·
3rd?:bandit: More than 1 is all I will say.
This one is "you get what you pay for." I paid less and will get less. It is worth the trouble as it's on the hard to find side of the FJ world. It was listed with front end damage. Pictures coming show passenger side body damage and something way out of alignment in the front or rear. I've got a rear axle housing from another project and if the third is good in this one I will replace wheel bearings and reload the other housing as is auto ratio. That auto third will end up offered to someone on the forum or I will snitch the locking carrier out into another rig. I've got parts and donor vehicles.
First I need to get the thing here and make a plan. If the front end is smoked I will consider solid axle and hard core it. This is my third Copart rig and I've been lucky so far. Big gamble each time.

#5 ·
My 2008 MT, with a supercharger, wound up at a copart location. I don't think it's been auctioned out yet. Do you know if there's a way to check? I got a good insurance buy out and would up upgraded to a newer model and less miles.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't see anything that looks supercharged in Colorado. What happen to yours? I can search again. Mileage might narrow it down. Of course the MT narrows it down quite a bit. They don't always end up where they are wrecked.

BTW. I lived in Avon for a bit while I ski instructed in Vail. Beaver Liquors still around?

#9 ·
I did a VIN search on COPART and found it https://www.copart.com/lot/39832306/

Looks like it was already sold. I wonder if I can track down the broker. I'm sure it will be parted out, since the repairs needed are more extensive than the pictures would suggests.

#11 ·
I was tempted to rip the supercharger off, but it wouldn't fit later model engines.
I sure do miss the manual transmission and the extra horsies. Do you know if there is a way to figure out what it sold for? Would just be of interest. I'll do google searches on the VIN every now and then and see if it shows up. I suspect it will be parted out.

Yes. World Famous Beaver Liquors is still around and thriving. And, very happy the Cubs won the world series. I've worked on and off as a part-time ski instructor at Vail, but not this year.

#12 ·
Man I am Jonzin' for Vail right now. What's a ticket $175. Got spoiled have a locker in Mid Vail back in the day.
I didn't see your rig mostly because of the color and I don't spend anytime on Copart because it is such a bad deal for consumers most of the time. I definitely would have bid on yours had I known for parts (sorry) I bet the TRD didn't get much of a premium. looks like your in a 13 TT now. I bet that pearl comes out nice in the Rocky Mountain Sun. Good luck.

#15 · (Edited)
Did a vin check online. Not Carfax but looks to be one owner with not much history other than VA Salvage title. Obviously it didn't play into the purchasing decision but I am curious about it history. If you had manual 2010 TT in VA call me!

#16 ·
Good luck on the build! A local Denver member of our Colorado FJ Cruisers club did a rebuild on a 2012 TT that had been in a flood, and it turned out pretty well for him.

I have always liked the 2010 TT and manual transmissions just feel right in a FJ. So a new member posted a low mileage 2010 and when I contacted him he wanted a mint for the unit. Sure was nice and caused a flare up. In a couple years of casual searching I have not seen a 2010 TT MT at a asking price that I would approach.
The main problem with trying to find a very specific TT year in a manual transmission, and then mainly doing it here on the forums, is that people here know what they have. Dealerships hate MT trucks because they're harder to sell. So the best deals on MT trucks, and especially FJ's, happen at non-Toyota dealerships who have no idea what they have or how desirable it is.

#17 ·
Good luck on the build! A local Denver member of our Colorado FJ Cruisers club did a rebuild on a 2012 TT that had been in a flood, and it turned out pretty well for him.

The main problem with trying to find a very specific TT year in a manual transmission, and then mainly doing it here on the forums, is that people here know what they have. Dealerships hate MT trucks because they're harder to sell. So the best deals on MT trucks, and especially FJ's, happen at non-Toyota dealerships who have no idea what they have or how desirable it is.
I agree. And another problem. Apparently people are balling up FJ's everyday. I can't believe the number of Salvage FJ's there are at any one time on just the one auction service. What the hell people?

#20 ·
Passenger side rear lower control arm is pretzeled and the front end previously had been stuffed hard tweaking front frame and bending control arm mounts. There is a partial repair with cosmetics hiding the true nature of the original damage. New radiator, condenser, sheet metal etc. all up front but frame is a bit off still and front control arms a tweaked.

#22 ·
In time for the weekend. Might need a new front section of frame to graft in if this does show serious progress. I am afraid attempts have already been made and I won't get very far. I've got some heat too. We'll see.

#23 ·
Removed some parts that literally, no exaggeration, where attached by a single plastic push clip. I believe at this point that Copart curbed this vehicle. If true repair attempts were to be made but latter abandoned they would not have painted sheet metal before realizing it was a total. There is a crease in the door that was painted. I think this was done in hopes of camouflaging damage for photos. The objective was to hide true natural and extent of damage from an online buyer. Copart is a dealer and should have listed the item for sale by Copart. The seller is listed as USAA which is my insurance. So the premise is look what USAA totaled and represent a hard to find and sought after vehicle by a reputable insurance company that would require quality repairs if any done. I might reach out and see if I get anywhere.

Here's a picture of what came off with removal of one clip.

Front bumper was hanging by one push clip. Head lights and signals fell out. Trim beneath signals popped off.

#24 ·
Not to exciting but the first replacement part showed up. This will get the rear axle realigned. I already had an entire rear axle with links off a previous project but couldn't readily find the links. For $50 bucks delivered I couldn't afford to waste anymore time looking. I'll find the old ones now as soon as I get home.

#25 · (Edited)

$35

$275 Edit: Is not 2010 up unit though sold as one. Tie rod are smaller, mounting bolts are smaller. Basically have to by smaller outer rod ends to make this work plus smaller mounting hard ware. Thought Inner Rods could be swapped to retain upgraded strength but not doable. Rod ends are $20 each for 2007 to 2009.

$54 loaded!

#30 · (Edited)
Thanks. Did not know this.
I believe it. These don't feel nearly as hardy as OEM.
I may take a stick or mig welder and booger up the mating surfaces on the cam washers and arm bushings with some tack welds if I get movement. I used to spin out wheel bearings on Ford 9 axles and just a couple light tacks on the outside of the bearing races would hold amazingly well. Kinda bush but better than self-destructing from excessive movement.

EDIT:
The bolts are long enough to double stack the cam washers. Simply welding two washers together could be the solution (other than back to non-greasable OEM). Washers are available in pairs but looks like ordering a whole kit is more economical. Especially if you can find a cheaper kit that has right sized washer. Specs are thin on the sites I checked and Summit Racing could not provide specs over the phone. They have the best prices and some kits are $15 on sale. If the washers fit, and they are a little sloppy, it might be the solution for those with must have greasables.

Above From Tacoma World site.

These would stack on correct washers in kit reinforcing just the keyed bolt surface. Already has spot for Rose / Fill weld. Illustrative only, I don't know if these are correct bolt size.

Part listed as Moog K8701 Caster/Camber Cam on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5801O/ref=psdc_15708941_t3_B000C58046

Another possibility: Outside the box washers from kits that are higher quality that can be supplemented or augmented by welding. A little ground work to find good fit and solve the problem for those hell bent on greasables once and for all.

Rubicon Express RE1476 Front Cam Bolt Kit for Jeep JK
https://www.amazon.com/Rubicon-Express-RE1476-Front-Bolt/dp/B006GJOOYC/ref=zg_bs_15717411_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YAZVRQHWVJSD1AQ9ZKPG

#28 ·
Interesting project. Good luck! The first pic you posted of the sales ad showed the front wheels too far back so I guessed front impact. Amazed they can get away with covering it up to sell and not declaring the damage.

#29 ·
Agreed. But Copart went to a lot of trouble to conceal damage. Amazingly the rig went to the very limit of my max bid and not a penny more. I suspect a shill or strawman bidder. Plus they asked for more money after bidding ended as seller hadn't approved. They had a sucker on the line and they knew it. I stuck to my original bid and as I saw how it was unfolding my suspicions grew but I was locked in at my max. It's my hobby or I might be a bit peeved.

#31 ·
Moog Camber Castor lower control arm bolts are crap.
Trying again with these. Will report back and spread the word on how they work. Look to be heavier duty. Been suffering delays due to parts suppliers not accepting the change in 2010 steering rack is completely incompatible in every way and sending early racks instead of 2nd gen 2010 forward racks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.