Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

The Bulldog - Rich_4 and jstroud08's Build

30K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  jstroud08 
#1 · (Edited)
This was originally Rich_4's post, but since I bought the Bulldog, I wanted to update with my additions and changes.
I will add my changes alongside Rich's so if you want to see his original post click Rich_4

I decided on The Bulldog after narrowing it down to that and 'The Cookie Monster'..I think the front looks like a bulldog's face. Maybe it's only me, but I really can see the resemblence.

From Toyota
Upgrade 1 + 2
Billet Door Inserts
Hitch
TRD Exhaust

The Mods
PIAA headlights/domes/backups
Wicked CAS Subwoofer Enclosure
2 10w1 JL Audio Subwoofers
2 channel 800 watt Amp. -sub toggle switch in place of stock switch.
TRD CAI
TRD Exhaust
All Pro Sliders
Full BudBuilt Skids (some RC for now but will be getting the new 6" Buds)
Painted Engine Cover
Expedition One Bumper
PIAA Foglights
Superwinch Epi-9000
Yellow Synthetic Winchline
Added 12v Outlet
Garmin Nuvi 350
Wet Okole Seat Covers
Bandi Mount
Cobra 75wxst CB Radio
17" Dick Cepek Polished Wheels
35" Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires
Rough Country 6" Suspension Lift Kit
Hitch Mounted Rear Reciever Shackle
Rack Mounted Hi-Lift
Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
Chopped Body Mounts
A-TRAC hack
No warning beeps!
Camburg Engineering Uniball Upper Control Arms
ARB Safari Snorkel

The Story
I originally wanted an Infiniti G35, but after driving the FJ, fell in love with it. The people on this forum are the most friendly and helpful you could ever find, and I appreciate everything everyone has contributed. I would specifically like to thank Matt for everything he has done for me and my FJ. Without him my FJ would be nothing like it is now, and for that I owe him a lot. He spent 10 hours helping me put my 3" lift on, and over the course of a week we spent 31 hours putting my 6" lift on (Yes, time isn't on our side, and we ran into some major time killers). You can't find anyone better than Matt, who will help you in any way he can. Thanks Matt. I would also like to specially thank Terry, Scott, Josh, Bo, and the rest of the crew from the LLJ last year that really helped me my first time offroading, and got me as interested in it and my FJ as I am now.
Until a few weeks ago I had the 3" RC kit with 285 BFG's, but I switched to the RC 6" Kit with 35's and it's made a huge difference in the appearance of the FJ.

That was Rich's story. Now here's my story...
I had just graduated high school, and was looking for a better daily driver than my '92 Ford Bronco. My main requirements were that it get decent gas mileage (not 8-9 like the Bronco), it is off-road capable, doesn't require a lot of maintenance, and looks good. I did quite a bit of looking on Ebay and in Thrifty Nickel. I found an amazing Ford Excursion with everything imaginable done to it. It had the intimidator style bumper, dual gas shocks, 38" tires, electric step, diesel w/ all the mods, touchscreen, 4 screens, EVERYTHING. I really wanted it until I found this FJ on Ebay. It was love at first sight. I talked with my dad and convinced him to pay for a third of it, and had it shipped to my house. It took almost three weeks to get here, but I absolutely LOVE it.
I don't plan on taking it mudding locally, I plan on tearing my Bronco up that way. JK, but it always breaks something. I plan on taking it on weekend trips specifically for off-roading, and I plan on it being my daily driver while I'm in Colorado.

I can't find a completely stock picture right now, but everyone knows what that looks like anyway.

Protection
All Pro Sliders - Couldn't do without them. Have saved a lot of damage.
Expedition One Bumper - Great Design, Strong, fits the curves of the FJ great
Full BudBuilt Skids - Also a must. Thick, strong, and covers up everything.
I'm running the 2 front RCX skids with the lift right now, but will be adding the new Buds soon.

Noise
Wicked CAS Sub Box - 2 10's. Looks great, functions flawlessly.
2 JL Audio 10w1's - Not the loudest, but certainly loud enough.
800 Watt 2 Channel Amp - Powers the Subs
FJammer Headunit
Really wanting to change out the front speakers for components

Recovery
Superwinch Epi9000 - does what it's supposed to.
Yellow Synthetic Winchline- something like 19600 lb. strength. Safe.
Rear Receiver Shackle - custom red:)
2 Front Bumper Mounted Shackles
Hi-Lift Extreme - mounted on the rack
really need to get some tree savers/tow straps/etc.

Engine
TRD CAI - really love this one.
TRD Exhaust - great w/ the CAI.
Custom Engine Cover - Did alright for a few hours with spray paint.
Might add the URD Y-Pipe in the future.
ARB Safari Snorkel
SCUBA Driver Mod

Lights
PIAA Headlights
PIAA Backups
PIAA Domes
PIAA 580 Fog Lights
Xenon-Vision bi-xenon HID headlights (one of the best mods I've done)
always room for extra lights

Electronics
A-TRAC hacked
No more beeping (both seatbelts, and key in ignition)
Garmin Nuvi 350 - great touchscreen easy to use navigation.
Cobra 75wxst CB Radio - About 3 Miles of reception
Added the 12v outlet in the center console
Wired Aux cable from the port through the center peice, out the emergency brake cover for my iPod.

Suspension
Camburg Engineering Uniball Upper Control Arms
Rough Country Complete 6" Lift Kit
--new knuckles, front/rear diff brackets, front spacer, sway bar relocators, rear sway bars, rear upper control arms, track bar (red):) , rear coils, and rear shocks.

lots of thought went into changing from a 3" to a 6". I'm confident in the stability and safety of this kit after installing it and driving it for the past 2 weeks. It handles great and looks killer. I couldn't be happier going with the 6" kit.

Tires
35" Dick Cepek Mud Country - look mean, quiet on the road.
17" Dick Cepek Polished Wheels - I love the contrast with the black.
Spidertrax Wheel Spacers - Easy to install, huge difference in offset.
Body Mount Chop -(thanks Chris)- needs a little more, still barely rubbing at full lock
need to put the spare on, but have to find a cheap wheel spacer first so it fits

Other
Wet Okole Front Seat Covers - Red piping with 'FJ Cruiser' & Map Pockets
Various Sweat Bands
Gatorade and Red Bull At all times.

Near Future Mods
Bud Built front skids for Rough Country 6" suspension lift
custom welded lower link skids
All-Pro lower shock mount skids
Expedition One Rear Bumper
Vent Visors
Differential Skid Plate
M-PAC side rack
Rear Differential Hack
PowerTank CO2 system

Distant Future Mods
ClearPlex Window shield
AeroFlow Headlight Covers
Gobi Ladder
Roof Basket
Dual Batteries in stock location
Touchscreen deck w/ Nav and Windows XP
Component Speakers
Light bar on roof
ARB Lockers front and back
Man-A-Fre 4+Plus High Angle Super HD Control Arms

I will add to this thread as anything changes, and look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.

See less See more
#6 ·
Holy cr@p!
What a nice rig. :clap:
Man, that's gonna be fun watching you go over stuff when you get here next year. Can't wait. :cheers:

#8 ·
Just added the Camburg Engineering Upper Control Arms.
I love them, they make it a pleasure to drive, and they did NOT require limiting straps with the 6" lift!!!
I'll post up pics when I get a chance

#9 ·
looking good man. Glad you're enjoying it and using it the way it should be used. Keep up the good work.

#10 ·
Thanks!
I LOVE IT!!!!
I'm taking it to Katemy this weekend, I'll post up pics when I get back.

#14 ·
I don't know about ice or snow, but they are great in the mud and rain.
I have caked them with mud once, but understand that the mud here is different, its red clay mud, and I've seen Super Swamper Boggers caked with mud.
They do fine in regular mud though, and I would think they would work well in snow.

#15 ·
I'm doing the SCUBA driver mod and installing a snorkel this weekend!!!!!
I'll post up pics when I'm done.

#17 ·
I had the original mud-terrains on my F250, and they were awesome tires!
If the KM2s are anywhere near as good as those, then either one would be a good pick imo.

Will do!!:cheers:

#18 ·
NEW SNORKEL check out the pics!!!
new Camburg UCAs, pics to come

#22 ·
How is that fender doing??? Did you get that fixed yet, or have you been fixing the bronco?

#23 ·
Toyota hasn't done anything yet, and I have given them until wedensday to give me at least some sort of update on it

#24 ·
I'm plannin on going to Ouray for the Summit, but there are some things I want to do to it first if I get the money in order:
M-PAC Rack
SCUBA Mod
Shock Mount and Lower Link Skids
Component Speakers
some kind of storage system
URD Off-Road Y-Pipe
Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.