Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Bumper and front coilover install near St Louis?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  The_B.O.W. 
#1 ·
I have a trip to moab set for first week of September.

Have an Expedition 1 front bumper, Warn winch and a set of Radflo coilovers all due in the next couple weeks and am getting concerned I won't have time to mount them myself.

Does anyone know of a trustworthy shop in the St Louis area that could handle this? I'm actually about 40 miles west of St Louis but would drive a little for a good shop. Thanks.

#4 ·
Yeah Chicago is 300 miles and I have zero desire to set foot in that city lol. But I appreciate the suggestion.

I'm not doing UCA's. I'll be installing 2.5"Radflo coilovers. Don't want to lift much, my goal was twofold. First I just wanted to replace the front springs/shocks because at 150k miles the factory Bilsteins were getting tired. And second, after adding the Exp 1 bumper and 10k Warn winch I wanted to be able to dial out the sag and level the truck.

I'm not opposed to doing it myself, but it would be nice to have an experienced eye watching the process. Hopefully it'll go well if I end up doing it alone lol.

#5 · (Edited)
Axleboy is here in St. Charles and does excellent custom work and they are a full service shop as well. Unfortunately they do not install "walk in" parts. If you need work done in the future then def check them out Axleboy Complete Automotive Service | Foreign, Domestic, Jeep, 4×4 & Custom Manufacturing

They did my BMC for me, it was a lil on the pricey side but overall it was worth it and I'm very satisfied.

As for going the route yourself I'd be willing to lend a hand depending on the day you chose. My hours at work are pretty sucky at the moment. I've done all my mods with the exception of the BMC and my snorkel.

Also with adding a winch/bumper your front will start to sag. I just upgraded to Toytec Ultimate Coilovers because of this. I'd also highly recommend doing UCA's in the near future. Your ride will be much better and it will also help get your alignment closer to factory spec.

#6 ·
Awesome brother. Very much appreciate the offer.

As for the bumper and winch, lol well I did them this past weekend.

Probably just going to do the coilovers myself too. This will be my first time ever lifting an IFS truck. But I think it's manageable.

Out of curiosity, in what city do you work? I work in troy mo, and have seen a lifted black fj with bumpers/winch etc up that way. Wouldn't be you would it?

I would love to meet another local off roader with an fj.

#7 ·
Most likely wasn't me. I live in St. Peter's and am currently working in Ballwin.

As for the coilovers they are very easy. Get an alignment afterwards. I would have offered to help sooner but as you could probably tell I'm not very active on this forum. Really more just my guide.

If your looking to wheel I'm much more active on Mo4wd - Index Great group of people. Pretty active. Check it out.

#9 ·
Ackerman Toyota in St. Louis can do that and will do a great job. Ask for Jay Ackerman when you go in. He's the owner, is usually there and will get you taken care of. Jay was just out at the FJ summit and was working a few deals with several manufactures including Total Chaos as being a installation center for there parts. Jay drives a 2013 FJ.

#10 ·
Ackerman Toyota is actually taking new 4runners and Tacomas and installing lifts, bumpers, winches ect on them. They also do custom work on older Supras if your into the older sports cars. Jay Ackerman also recently purchased a mid 70s FJ to restore and sell there too.

#12 ·
I'm in central Illinois and just threw on a set of the 2.0 Radflo's for the 6" Rough Country lift. If you're in the area Swing by. Otherwise, even with limited tools and experience it's about a 2hr job. If you have questions let me know. It was pretty straight forward. Rough Country has a good set of instructions for disassembly of the front end. Look at their 6" lift and on the page is a link to the directions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.