LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 06:56 AM
JMK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Needle temperature gauge dashboard

I have a little problem with the dashboard temperature gauge: When the car is shut down the needle needs doesn't go back to it's zero position. The needle has shifted to "one quarter" and has made that it's new zeromark. So when driving the temperature gauge needle goes up too high. Instead of halfway it goed up too three quarters. When on normal operating temperature.

I have called a couple of dealers but they say they can't reset it and a dashboard change with all clocks on it is necessary. This part only will cost me 700 euro's (just the part!) So I'm not going to do that. I'd rather buy a scan gauge to keep track of the temperature. But I still want the tempgauge to act normal and go back to zero. Isn't it possible to to just push the needle back?

I made a ****ty photo with my phone to go with this thread. This is the position the needle goes to with car shut off. Hope you understand what I'm saying and maybe someone's got a solution.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	52455  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Forum Veteran

Supporting Member
Re: Needle temperature gauge dashboard

Just buy a replacement gauge cluster from a salvage yard. In the US that should be less than $100.

07 FJ Voodoo Blue (The Nostromo)

TLCA# 18990
KF7QGC
#3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 AM
JMK

(Thread Starter)

I don't think we have any gauge clusters on salvage yards here in The Netherlands with the few FJ's riding around here...

I'd rather repair this temp gauge (or let somebody do it). But how and is it even possible?
#4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hmmm... 1st of all how did that happened? Do you know the history of the FJ, previous owners, services.. Maybe someone here in the forum can help you run your Vin number to see if your fj got into an accident...

Well if I'm in your situation I would just take the odometer out and manually turn that needle to it's proper place :-)

Mod Central of anything TRD, Line-X and Powder Coat.
Build Thread: DAPURAK

07' TRD Imitation Edition all black FJ Cruiser
#5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

It could be that the needle is hung up on something? I had a shift indicator once that would move very slowly, a little bit of lithium grease and all was well.

08 Sandstorm, CQ, OF, C7, CF, All Wthr Mats, TG Sliders, Extra Horn, Tundra Handles, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Springtail M-PAC HD Side Rack, Basket and Backdoor Rack, S A Fuse Block, IPF 968, LED's under hood, extra 12v outlets, FJTOYMAN's rear shock skids, Scuba Mod, IronMan Front Coils/ToyTec Rear Coils, Bilsteins, ToyTec Swaybar Relo Kit, IMP Shift & Tcase knobs, BudBuilt Skids, Demello/EXp1 Bumpers, 10lb Powertank, Viper Max 12k Winch with Amsteel Synth Line, BajaRack, Hella Marine Flood Lights on rack, Fourtreks Hi-Lift and tool mounts Dennx Design Rear Storage Box, SPC LR UCAs, Bandi Body Lift & BMC
TLCA #19565
GCLC #2128
http://www.fjnortheasters.org
#6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 08:58 AM
JMK

(Thread Starter)

Unfortunately I didn't buy it from a dealer. And the guy I bought it from didn't have the history of maintanance/ services. Normally I would think he had something to hide but I thought to just buy it and take the chance. The car has been checked recently and all seems good. What happened to the meter I can't tell you. I'm not a tech guy either...

Manually putting it in the proper place seems good to me. But the toyota dealers over here seemed more keen on changing the complete panel. They say, you can't put it back in place... I wouldn't know why this can't be done...
#7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi, I've been driving Toyotas for over 15 years and never seen that before. I would imagine it needs to be re calibrated. I don't understand why the dealer has made such an issue.
I will the dealership on Monday that I know here in South Africa and let you know.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 AM
JMK

(Thread Starter)

The needle doesnt stick or move slow. It's just the position where it's at that's not good.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sorry that was……
I will CALL THE DEALERSHIP!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 AM
JMK

(Thread Starter)

All right Thanks NIKFJ. I understood you already...

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.