Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
T Screw on Door Lock Not Lining Up

Ok, I decided to blackout mine door handles and went out there to do it. Driver's side was not problem. 1 minutes it was changed out. Passenger, got off silver, put together the new and go to tighten the T-screw holding the lock in place. No matter what I do, the screw want line up with the hole. Meaning I can't put the lock back on. Even took the black cover off and it still wont line up. Suggestions???

The screw is removing the black paint on the lock. It's almost one screw width off. Here is a photo but it is hard to see the paint being scrapped off just above the hole.

'08 Black Diamond 4x4 AT - Traded-in
'11 Black 4x4 AT

Here is My Build

TMTC # 15994
TLCA # 21696
Louisiana Land Krewesers
NRA member - Proud Gun Owner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Re: T Screw on Door Lock Not Lining Up

Are you just replacing the silver one with a black one, or did you paint them? If you're replacing them, have you compared the two to see if they're different? Good thing it's the passenger side at least...

Black 07 6MT Blacked out including roof
Speedrye front bumper, Ricochet under, stock rear
Lighting by Hella, Rigid & Baja Designs
Audio by JVC, Infinity, Alpine, Boston, MB Quart
17x9 Liquid Metal Gatlins in black wrapped in Kumho 315/70-17 MT's
Toyota Rock Rails, Toyoutfitters links, URD shifter
Toytec/Bilstein/OME suspension lift
Light Racing UCAs and a 4crawler 1.25" body lift
Uniden Pro520XL CB w/ 3' Firestiks up front
#3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
SpeedRye previously said: View Post
Are you just replacing the silver one with a black one, or did you paint them? If you're replacing them, have you compared the two to see if they're different? Good thing it's the passenger side at least...
Replacement no painting. I tried putting the driver's side on the passenger and no go. Also tried removing the cover and just installing the locking mechanism and also a no go. When I place it where the "fits" together, no go and the whole thing is too far from the handle. Place it where is should go, closer to the handle, and it does not go together but pushed something in, though I can't figure out what that is. Pushes the screw in as well. Either way, I can line it up. I put some plastic over he hole for now because its too dark to do anything. Sucks cause I am going to have to drive to work like that in the morning. Luckily it isn't supposed to rain again until Saturday.

'11 Black 4x4 AT

Here is My Build

TMTC # 15994
TLCA # 21696
Louisiana Land Krewesers
#4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
LaFJDude previously said: View Post
Ok, I decided to blackout mine door handles and went out there to do it. Driver's side was not problem. 1 minutes it was changed out. Passenger, got off silver, put together the new and go to tighten the T-screw holding the lock in place. No matter what I do, the screw want line up with the hole. Meaning I can't put the lock back on. Even took the black cover off and it still wont line up. Suggestions???

The screw is removing the black paint on the lock. It's almost one screw width off. Here is a photo but it is hard to see the paint being scrapped off just above the hole.

I just installed mine last Friday and had the exact same problem on the drivers side. There is a sort of bracket that holds the screw in place....i ended bending enough to remove the screw (make sure you have a magnetic screwdriver) so that i could see through and make sure they were lined up....came to this after about 45 minutes of trying....passenger side had no issues.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
capnkirk1983 previously said: View Post
I just installed mine last Friday and had the exact same problem on the drivers side. There is a sort of bracket that holds the screw in place....i ended bending enough to remove the screw (make sure you have a magnetic screwdriver) so that i could see through and make sure they were lined up....came to this after about 45 minutes of trying....passenger side had no issues.

I'll have to try that tomorrow. My driver isn't magnetic so... But I spent a good while tonight on it. Didn't go... Hopefully I can figure it out. Sucks I have to drive to work like that. A coworker of mine used to be a toyota mechanic so I am hoping he will help out.

'11 Black 4x4 AT

Here is My Build

TMTC # 15994
TLCA # 21696
Louisiana Land Krewesers
#6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Ended up fixing it this morning. Took two of us though. Me pushing the mechanism in and other person pushing the screw in. Finally felt a small pop and then it thread in. Good thing with rain about to move in.

'11 Black 4x4 AT

Here is My Build

TMTC # 15994
TLCA # 21696
Louisiana Land Krewesers
#7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Not to be sarcastic, seriously, but why did you have to remove the locking mechanism? When I replaced mine, they just popped off and popped the new black ones right on. The only thing I removed was the actual door handle.

OIF 03-04, 06-08, 09-10

Donate To The Wounded Warrior Project
#8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
combatbevo previously said: View Post
Not to be sarcastic, seriously, but why did you have to remove the locking mechanism? When I replaced mine, they just popped off and popped the new black ones right on. The only thing I removed was the actual door handle.

That is how I read to do it. LOL Or at least 2 years ago when I did it on my first FJ. To pull off my old one handle you have to slide it into the place where the locking mechanism is don't you?

Here is the link I read back then. When the screw acts right, it took only a minute if that to swap.

Black Door Handle Swap-Out

Doing my mirrors this weekend.

'11 Black 4x4 AT

Here is My Build

TMTC # 15994
TLCA # 21696
Louisiana Land Krewesers
#9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I never removed the entire thing. When I got my replacements, they came with a mini-disc that instructional vids on the mirrors and doorhandles. I don’t know where the wife got them from, it was a present. But I do remember this about the mirrors: Watch out for the door lock/window control panel, on both doors, the little tabs/clips that hold them in are really fragile and will snap off in a heartbeat. Also the push nuts(?) at the front of the doors, near the hinges will snap real easy too if your not careful. Just trying to help…...

OIF 03-04, 06-08, 09-10

Donate To The Wounded Warrior Project
#10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
combatbevo previously said: View Post
But I do remember this about the mirrors: Watch out for the door lock/window control panel, on both doors, the little tabs/clips that hold them in are really fragile and will snap off in a heartbeat. Also the push nuts(?) at the front of the doors, near the hinges will snap real easy too if your not careful. Just trying to help…...
Yea, I am worried about those for the lock/windows controls. I saw them on my first FJ when I thought about painting the mirrors. This time I bought the TT mirrors, but have been wondering how I am going to install them without breaking those.

'11 Black 4x4 AT

Here is My Build

TMTC # 15994
TLCA # 21696
Louisiana Land Krewesers

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.