LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
VSC Problems

I have a TRD SE with everything stock at this point. Yesterday I was driving on a normal road and out of no where the "VSC Off" light, the "VSC Trac" light, and the "skid control" light(the light with the vehicle with swerve lines behind it) all came on at the same time. I was in two-wheel drive as I have an automatic transmission.

I just happened to be a block from the dealer so I stopped in and showed them what it was doing. I didn't have time to have them look at it at that point. After they assured me it would not hurt anything, I left and they told me I would be back in a few hours to have them look at it more.

After I turned the vehicle off and back on, only the "VSC Off" light remained.

When I returned to the dealer, they cleared the codes. Told me the only code involved a temperature sensor for the suspension and told me it was probably a fluke that wouldn't happen again.

Last night all three lights came back on.

The dealer is now telling me they will need my FJ for at least a day or two and have to get Toyota on the phone as they are completely clueless. I figured I would give it a shot and see if anyone here has any ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Re: VSC Problems

My money is on the a bad transfer case indicator switch. This is a small switch located on the side of the transfer case that tells the FJC whether you're in 4WD or not. If it fails all those dash indicator lights will come on.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Thanks. I was thinking that it might have something to do with the transfer case as obviously all of those lights come on when your go into 4L even though it is not actually engaging 4 wheel drive.

The dealer is thinking it is a suspension issue, is this even possible?

I did take it off-road on some mild trails over Memorial Day. Do you think I could I have caused this? It didn't happen until days later though.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Forum Master

I and a few others have had a similiar issue. It seems to be the right or left front wheel sensor wires. They develop an "open" and it throws these codes.

Last edited by dbbd1; 06-02-2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typo
#5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

So what is the fix? Is it suspension related? What dealer dealt with your issue as mine is absolutely clueless?
#6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Forum Master

Me? I addressed the issue in another thread but....

The dealer called "no warranty" on mine, said due to "other parts" I had put on but they never specified exactly what. It did happen right after I had my (first) lift put on (before I drove out of the shop even). Anyways, I was pissed, went home, found the problem myself, made a temp fix, and ordered the wire. Came time to pick it up, the dealer said that they would do it "as a courtesy" (gee, thanks) but still not under warranty (yeah, whatever). It was a section of wire from the wheel sensor (left, front). The wheel sensor is mounted on the hub, then there is a section of 2-conductor wire from it, up the suspension (basically) to the fender well. Right there it connects to another plug (mounted to the fender well itself) then into the wiring harness. It was real easy to troubleshoot, if you have volt/ohm meter, you can get a cheap one for under 10.00. Right there at the fender well, disconnect the lower wiring from the rest of the harness. Now, take a reisitance reading on those 2 terminals going to the wheel sensor. I do not remember the exact reading you should get but it should be something, mine read "open" I had a break in both wires about halfway up the suspension. No, good reason why either, no visible damage to the outer sheathing. My symptoms were the same, when the dealer tried to clear them, they just kept coming back (at that point they said that I was on my own, the b@stards). One hour later, I had the wiring by-passed with some 2-conductor wire (imagine lamp cord wire), electrical taped and no lights (they actually did not clear themselves until either I had gone 300' or reached about 20mph, not sure which). if you need further help, PM me and I can walk you through it on the phone or something.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

I appreciate the input. At this point, it sounds like I will give the dealer a shot and see what happens. I have nothing aftermarket on it and the only way I can see them not covering it would be if they can claim that it happened off-road (I have no idea Toyota's official stance on stuff like that). I just don't have much confidence that they will find it quickly. If that does not work maybe I will take you up on the offer to help me trouble shoot.

Incidentally, all lights are back off today.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
dlister previously said: View Post
I appreciate the input. At this point, it sounds like I will give the dealer a shot and see what happens. I have nothing aftermarket on it and the only way I can see them not covering it would be if they can claim that it happened off-road (I have no idea Toyota's official stance on stuff like that). I just don't have much confidence that they will find it quickly. If that does not work maybe I will take you up on the offer to help me trouble shoot.

Incidentally, all lights are back off today.

Interesting that the lights are off now.......

Yeah, I think a couple of others on the forum did not have any mods either, happened after some 'wheeling though. I never did hear back on what the results of the other's lights issues were. Keep us in the loop.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Now only the "VSC Off" light is back on. I am beginning to think I have Gremlins.
#10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
dlister previously said: View Post
Now only the "VSC Off" light is back on. I am beginning to think I have Gremlins.
Have you been feeding your FJ after midnight?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.