Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Trailer wiring harness missing?

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  FJtest 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 2011 army, 41k. Thought I looked it over pretty good. When I took it to work a co worker and FJ owner asked what happened to my trailer hookup.
I was so focused on the fact that it had a hitch which is what I wanted and missed
that the trailer flat connector was not there.
The dealer tells me I need the complete wiring set up with relay converter ect...
for $95. It looks like to me I only need the 2ft. cable that goes from the connecter at the rear frame to the bracket near the hitch. The bracket is there.
How can I tell if that's all I need?
Of course since the deal is done it's on me.

#2 · (Edited)
Most likely someone put on the hitch kit but not the harness kit. It appears that bracket that the harness connects to is part of the hitch kit.
Here is a link to what you need. It also has picks and directions so you can see what you have and what you need.
Parts include the harness, relay, fuse, and converter which connects under the kick panel on the drivers side.
4 Pin Wiring Harness-Trailer Hitch at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

#4 ·
Just picked up a 2011 army, 41k. Thought I looked it over pretty good. When I took it to work a co worker and FJ owner asked what happened to my trailer hookup.
I was so focused on the fact that it had a hitch which is what I wanted and missed that the trailer flat connector was not there.
The dealer tells me I need the complete wiring set up with relay converter ect... for $95. It looks like to me I only need the 2ft. cable that goes from the connecter at the rear frame to the bracket near the hitch. The bracket is there. How can I tell if that's all I need? Of course since the deal is done it's on me.
Check out the OEM hitch kit installation instructions at:

http://www.purefjcruiser.com/docs/fj-cruiser-trailer-wiring-harness.pdf

That will give you all the info you need about the hitch wiring kit. Least expensive I've found is on Amazon, for about $85 delivered. It shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes to install it, the most time consuming part is playing contortionist while getting your head down in the driver's footwell so you can mount the "converter module".

#8 ·
There's a link in post #4 that will take you directly to the installation instructions, which show exactly where the connector on the vehicle harness is. It's on the inner face of the LH frame rail, just in front of the rear most cross member (bumper). Your missing stub harness is only about 18" long. The installation instructions will also provide the part number for the stub harness, hopefully it is available as a replacement part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.