Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Mini Fridge

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SammyT08FJ 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if I can run a mini fridge in the back of the fj from the factory 110 outlet?
My wife picked one up for 10 bucks it works great I just don't know about the amp draw.

#7 ·
The issue is when the fridge compressor first starts up. Basically it's a rotating short for a few hundred milliseconds.... :lol:

I'd give it a shot and see if the 110 volt converter can handle the surge current.... The 400 watt rating is probably continuous load.

#9 ·
A little household fridge is probably not going to work in the FJ. I saved up for an ARB fridge, waited patiently for a super sale and snagged one. It is probably one of the best things I bought for the FJ. We use it all the time on trips and grocery getting.
Save up and buy one when you can they are terrific! Save the little Haier for beer in the garage!

#11 ·
It's not going to work, at least not in any practical way.

The inverter only puts out 100 watts when the vehicle is in motion; that's less than an amp at 115 VAC.

It does put out 400W when the transmission is in P or N, and the engine is running. However, it would seem (at least to me) to be moronic to leave a 4.0L engine idling all day so that a mini-fridge could operate.

Go cheap with ice and a good-quality, well-insulated chest, or if you really need refrigeration save up for an Engel or ARB freezer/fridge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.