Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bostonian1976
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Adjusting Valves Instructions?

Has anyone ever adjusted their own valves before? I'll be doing this tomorrow on my Rover since my valves rattle like a diesel and shouldn't. I hear it's easy - but is there anything I should look out for?

Feeler should be at .010 and I'm adjusting by 'rule of nines' -

stupid question though - how do I tell what valve is valve1 and which is valve 8, etc?

MT6 Titanium

ARB roof rack, BFG AT KO's, Demello sliders, skid (bling) plate, TRD exhaust, VIP, UR2, and side airbags.

--
'64 Land Rover Series IIa Station Wagon

--

Come to the 2008 FJ Summit!! http://www.fjsummit.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Adjusting Valves Instructions?

I am not familiar with your particular engine and I don't know what the rule of nines is, but here goes anyway. You can tell when an individual cylinder is at top dead center or close to it by rotating the crank manually while observing the rockers and crankshaft timing marks. TDC is indicated when both the intake and exhaust rockers are stationary and don't move when you turn the crank in either direction from the timing marks. The valves will be closed and the cylinder will be on the compression stroke. Frequently the intake and exhaust valves will have different lash specs meaning maybe 0.010 on intake and 0.012 on exhaust. That is not always the case, but it's fairly common. Also there will usually be a different spec for a cold engine vs. a warmed up engine.

Then it's a matter of checking the clearance with the feeler gage and adjusting the rocker by loosening the lock nut and turning the screw then tightening the locknut. Check it again after you snug down the lock nut to be sure you did not inadvertently change the clearance when tightening the locknut.

This basic procedure is for non-hydraulic valve lifter designs. The procedure for hydraulic lifters can vary somewhat with particular designs, but frequently it is something like tightening the adjuster all the way down and then backing it off a prescribed number of turns and locking or something like that. You need to refer to a service manual to see what the exact procedure is for your engine.

I skimmed over the procedure in the service manuals for our FJ's and unless I missed something it looks like changing valve clearances is much more involved and requires actually removing and replacing the lifters to make adjustments. That could make it really tough for shade tree mechanics to tackle. As I said, I only briefly skimmed over the procedure. I may have this all wrong for the FJ.

Adjusting the valves on solid lifter type vehicles is a straightforward procedure. Hydraulic lifters will probably require reading the service manual to determine how it is to be done. The advanced high tech engines may require procedures unique to that particular engine and it's best to read up on it before you dive into the job. That is generally good practice for all maintenance procedures.

Hope this is of some help to you.

'07 Sunfusion

AT 4x4, (CQ) Convenience Pkg, (GY) Airbags, (UR) Upgrade #2, (C8) Rock Rails & Skid Plate, (DH) Towing Hitch, (WL) 17" Alloys, (Z2) 5 pc All Weather Mats/Rear Door Storage/First Aid Kit/Passenger Arm Rest, (3T) Roof Rack

MODS: TRD CAI, Spare Tire Cover, Precision Fit Ballistic Nylon Seat Covers, Warn Receiver Shackle, Sylvania Silver Star Ultra Headlights, LED Dome Light conversions, Puck Light Mod, Under Hood LED Lighting, Aux Backup Lights

#3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fjamming Send a message via Skype™ to Fjamming

Here's the "rule of nine" that OP mentioned.
Quote:
The "rule of nine" implies that you add 1 to the number of valves - the engine has 8 valves, thus adding one reads nine. When valve #1 is fully open, you check and adjust #8 (1+8=9). You will have to turn the engine around a lot if you work your way through the valves one by one from #1 to #8.
Adjusting valves.

Click for the "Genie" build up
Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar
#4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Fjamming previously said: View Post
Here's the "rule of nine" that OP mentioned.

Adjusting valves.
this is the correct way......this is the way i used to do it.....remove all spark plugs.....take off the valve cover......get out the hand crank....and turn to the first valve is up....then start you rule of nines......easy.......just set lash at .010 hot or cold.....with the hand crank you will see how the valves work....RR
#5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Catt22 previously said: View Post
You can tell when an individual cylinder is at top dead center or close to it by rotating the crank manually while observing the rockers and crankshaft timing marks. TDC is indicated when both the intake and exhaust rockers are stationary and don't move when you turn the crank in either direction from the timing marks. The valves will be closed and the cylinder will be on the compression stroke. Frequently the intake and exhaust valves will have different lash specs meaning maybe 0.010 on intake and 0.012 on exhaust. That is not always the case, but it's fairly common. Also there will usually be a different spec for a cold engine vs. a warmed up engine.

Then it's a matter of checking the clearance with the feeler gage and adjusting the rocker by loosening the lock nut and turning the screw then tightening the locknut. Check it again after you snug down the lock nut to be sure you did not inadvertently change the clearance when tightening the locknut.

This basic procedure is for non-hydraulic valve lifter designs. The procedure for hydraulic lifters can vary somewhat with particular designs, but frequently it is something like tightening the adjuster all the way down and then backing it off a prescribed number of turns and locking or something like that. You need to refer to a service manual to see what the exact procedure is for your engine.
Quote:
River Runner previously said: View Post
...remove all spark plugs.....take off the valve cover...

What they said. You can use a breaker bar or big long ratchet and the appropriate-size socket on the front crankshaft nut to turn the engine clockwise as needed. On an in-line motor, once you get #1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke with the timing marks you can just turn the motor another 180/360 degrees and there will be a different cylinder at TDC so you can adjust the valves on that cylinder. Repeat until you run out of cylinders.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

thanks guys hopefully the Rover won't sound like a diesel anymore when I'm finished

MT6 Titanium

ARB roof rack, BFG AT KO's, Demello sliders, skid (bling) plate, TRD exhaust, VIP, UR2, and side airbags.

--

--

#7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Forum Veteran

I have always used my remote starter switch for turning over the engine. ump, bump... does wonders at the track
#8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

thanks for the help guys - I used the crank and slowly turned over the engine and adjusted it using the 'rule of nines'. It was a LOT quieter when i was finished....felt great to do my own work and not blow up the engine

MT6 Titanium

--

--

#9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

And a qoute from the above Link...

Quote:
...And please: Do not forget the spanner you left on the crankshaft!

[[[[[ DEMELLO ROCKS FlatTop Bumpers ]]]]]

***** 4+PLUS FJ Cruiser Steel Skid Set *****

The "Bandi Mount" From ALL-PRO OFF-ROAD

..IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR SON BENJAMIN...
..WE LUV HIM & WILL MISS HIM VERY MUCH !!!

Ben, I will always wonder, Who You'd Be Today

click here for " THE BANDI BUILD " thread link

Last edited by bandi; 02-13-2008 at 01:20 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fjamming Send a message via Skype™ to Fjamming

Quote:
Bostonian1976 previously said: View Post
thanks for the help guys - I used the crank and slowly turned over the engine and adjusted it using the 'rule of nines'. It was a LOT quieter when i was finished....felt great to do my own work and not blow up the engine
Great! Good to hear.

Click for the "Genie" build up
Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.