LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
"OEM Hitch"

After reading a thread by Peeshnuck about him not being able to install his AFE exhaust because his "OEM Hitch" was in the way, he was told by Bandi and RoverGGm that in fact he didnt have a Toyota hitch, he had one made by Reese which was put on by some distributors ( Less money) Well i looked and found i had one of these Reese hitches.

When i bought my FJ 5 weeks ago, included in one of the upgrade packages was this hitch (which i do use) As i looked more at the hitch and the "Real OEM hitch" i got upset,the Reese hitch is MUCH bigger and heavier, it sits a lot lower, and it wasnt what i paid for, i bought a Toyota hitch not a reese hitch, complained to the dealer last week, Couldnt belive my ears he agreed with me, new TOYOTA hitch was put on today, Much neater, more clearance, a lot lighter, im HAPPY

08 4x4 A/T Sunfusion
CQ,UR,AO,R4,P4, Wagner Lazers, Corbra 75WSXT. 3ft Firestik. 16" Procomp Rockcrawler Black Monster Steel Wheels. 265/75/16 pathfinder A/T, Black Gorilla Splined lug nuts. Harmon Kardon GPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Forum Veteran

Re: "OEM Hitch"

It's nice to hear some dealers still honor the customer. Wish my local (Quality Imports) was worth a dam. How much does a real Toyota hitch go for?
#3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Dont know how much a REAL one is but the dealer told me the Reese hitch was $300 less than the real one.

Forgot to thank Bandi and RoverGGM, THANK you

The Dealer is Street Toyota in Amarillo TX

08 4x4 A/T Sunfusion
CQ,UR,AO,R4,P4, Wagner Lazers, Corbra 75WSXT. 3ft Firestik. 16" Procomp Rockcrawler Black Monster Steel Wheels. 265/75/16 pathfinder A/T, Black Gorilla Splined lug nuts. Harmon Kardon GPS.

Last edited by col555; 07-23-2008 at 06:12 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
col555 previously said: View Post
Dont know how much a REAL one is but the dealer told me the Reese hitch was $300 less than the real one.

Forgot to thank Bandi and RoverGGM, THANK you
A few things. They didn't start using the Reese style because it was cheaper. Toyota didn't have enough to supply them, so they were forced to outsource to be able to have hitches. $300 less? That would put the OEM hitch at right around a minimum of about 500 bucks (assuming 200 for a Reese brand new). I think you got lied to again. (talking about just the hitch, not the wiring harness)

I also went in to the dealership when i noticed the Reese hitch on my FJ. I told them that it is not what i paid for and that it robs ground clearance. They told me i could BUY a new Toyota hitch, but they would not replace anything on their dime. Glad to hear you have a GOOD dealership. Mine sucks.

I bought the OEM toyota hitch used on ebay for 100.

The OEM one has much better ground clearance.

Col555, one thing for you to check. If the reese hitch was installed, you lost your recovery point on the rear. Check to see if they added one. It should be a loop on the left rear of the frame, similiar to that on the front of the FJ.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623

Last edited by Layonnn; 07-23-2008 at 06:20 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Forum Veteran

$300! Wow, that's a big $ difference. I need a hitch for mine, thanks for the info.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quote:
carrotzilla previously said: View Post
$300! Wow, that's a big $ difference. I need a hitch for mine, thanks for the info.
Check ebay on and off for a couple weeks. And, try a thread in the want to buy section of the forum. I got my OEM one on ebay.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Forum Veteran

Thanks Layonnn for the help. I'll do just that.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the info Layonnn, will check on that, Yea i thought 300 was a bit much but thats what he said. Dont forget they had to change the silver trim also but 300 more is still too much.

08 4x4 A/T Sunfusion
#9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

I may be way off base here, but I swear I bought my OEM hitch and harness brand new for hang on...

...$269.59 shipped from TRD source (I just double checked my build-up thread where I track what I spend).

The OEM hitch is
$300 more than the Reese, let me do some math... If I take a Reese from your dealer they will owe me $30.41.

I'll take em all.

Also for the record I installed the hitch myself in about 1/2 hour, never having pulled anything apart on my truck (nerve racking care was taken) and I would rate myself at about a 1 wrench level (that's the lowest possible score if you have opposable thumbs).

You know all the little surveys Toyota sends out. I was told by my salesman that they have a direct effect on how much commission he makes. I wonder what some complaining to Toyota would do?

edit: the silver trim piece comes with the hitch, same money.

brett
2007 Black Diamond 7G edition "The Trail Bomber"

Last edited by gericurl; 07-23-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: addition
#10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quote:
col555 previously said: View Post
Thanks for the info Layonnn, will check on that, Yea i thought 300 was a bit much but thats what he said. Dont forget they had to change the silver trim also but 300 more is still too much.
Oh yeah, i forgot about changing the trim piece. I bet that is where they get you, seriously.

-Layton
TLCA# 20623

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.