All Terrain Package vs. Upgrade Package #2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interested in the new Toyota Tundra? Stop in at the Toyota Tundra Forum @ www.tundratalk.net!
Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Background Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Chat Insurance Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Newbie Discussions A flame free zone

FJCruiserForums.com is the premier Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 40659
All Terrain Package vs. Upgrade Package #2

This is kind of a continuation of another thread, but I wanted it to be more appropriately titled.

Basically I'm trying to decide between what is variously called the All Terrain or Off-Road Package and Upgrade Package #2.

I confirmed with my dealer's parts department that I can buy the All Terrain package's Bilstein shocks and have them installed at delivery.

I don't need most of what's in Upgrade Package #2 - the leather steering wheel is nice of course, and the 120V outlet is something I probably will never use, but as this is my first time driving something this large, I really would like the Intuitive Parking Assist sonar, the rear view camera not withstanding.

It doesn't look like the tires that come with Upgrade Package #2 will hold up as well off-road as those in the All Terrain package, though I suspect they should do the trick for anything but "vehicle damage likely" trails.

But any input either way would be welcomed, from how the leather steering wheel really is great to comments on whether the parking sonar is well done or is completely useless.

(I've got it on one other vehicle and it really hasn't "saved" me yet, though if it does it's paid for itself.)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 17218
Re: All Terrain Package vs. Upgrade Package #2

It would be nice if you could pick thru that #2 package upgrade and choose not to elect and pay for some of the things included...Most of the useful things are Atrac, Rear locker and the better suspension. I like all the creature comforts that come with that option...I understand it would be nice to nit pick exactly what you want without paying for the crap you don't. I just wish that Toyota would have D ,E, F, Packages that would offer Diesal engines...Front Solid Axle and real lockers...Maybe a roll cage and factory designed 40gl fuel cell just to name some desired wants!!!
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 36574

hey, a lot of people who lift their rigs end up selling their stock Bilstein shocks that they don't need anymore real cheap. I got the Up # 2 package and am real happy with it. The back up sonar works great and goes well with the back up camera. The upgraded stereo is also really nice to have.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Thanks, 2010armygreen, that's what I thought.

Everything in the All Terrain package comes in U#2 except for the 16" wheels with BFG tires and the Bilsteins, and the extra goodies in U#2 really are handy if your FJ is your daily driver.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Regular

Member Number: 8002

Quote:
BillK previously said: View Post
Thanks, 2010armygreen, that's what I thought.

Everything in the All Terrain package comes in U#2 except for the 16" wheels with BFG tires and the Bilsteins, and the extra goodies in U#2 really are handy if your FJ is your daily driver.
I have the U#2 and can only assume that the ATT tires are noisy ..I had a 2007 Rubicon and had all the bells and whistles, but the road noise was unbearable, compared to a friend's Sahara that had less aggressive tires...same vehicle inside..comparing the FJ to the Rubicon...there is no comparison, the FJ blows it's doors off...
Old 10-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Master

Member Number: 36435
Lifetime Supporting Member

Personally I went with the upgrade pkg over the offroad pkg because I would of replaced the suspension either way with what I really wanted.

The build:
Suspension:
Icon Stage I * AllPro UCA * MT classic lock * GY 285/75/16 MT/R * BMC
Exterior:
Rigid 2x10"~1x20" * DeMello 3 hoop * Warn M8000 * TG sliders * Ricochet full armor * AP shock/link armor * BW pocket flares * Safari snorkel * Garvin rack * Gobi ladder * Hi-lift jack *AVS vents * ScubaDriver * PD blackout * SCWFJ side logo
Interior:
Husky * Clazzio * DIY rear door storage
Electronics:
Cobra 75 WXST * KW-TH72A * Rock cams * LED interior lighting * Wolo horn * Dual batt. * ARB OBA
KF7WGI
TLCA: 21028
Exceptional vendors for quality/service
Ricochet * Sparks Toyota * Discount Tire * TRDParts4u
Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 22721

i just traded in my 08 for a 2010 and i had to decide between the same 2 packages. since i already had an fj and was going to keep my existing non-stock tires i did not need the better tires that come with the all terrain package, so i went with the upgrade package and am digging the stereo. if i didnt already have the tires probably would have gone with the all terrain package.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

I think I'm leaning towards U#2 and the Convenience Package now.

I really want Intuitive Parking Assist; the improved stereo is just gravy. ;-)
Old 10-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 40871

Quote:
BillK previously said: View Post
I think I'm leaning towards U#2 and the Convenience Package now.

I really want Intuitive Parking Assist; the improved stereo is just gravy. ;-)
What did you end up getting if you picked out your FJ? This is my first post, I've been doing a lot of lurking until I pulled the trigger on a new 2010 white FJ with the upgrade package #2 and convenience package. I've been doing research for the past month on different cars, FJ vs. honda element vs. honda fit vs. honda CRZ (I know, the last two are in a different vehicle class). I've always loved the looks of the FJ and fell in love after test driving a certified used '07 with 60k miles and being blown away by the smooth/quiet ride. Now my problem was left to finding a clean low mileage used or to buy new. I got tired of looking at certified used on dealer lots and getting the run around by the sales guys (I even went through fleet/internet sales). The difference between buying a new vs. a used with less than 20k miles was only $3,000-$4,000. I couldn't justify buying the used versus a new one. Turned out the local dealer happened to have a white 4x4 auto with upgrade#2 and convience packages. I haven't broken 500 miles and I'm super happy with the new car smell and breaking in the car. Only regrets is the stock roof rack that I had to take (it was already installed).

Love this site, great group of people and wealth of knowledge. This is my first 4x4 and I look forward to getting my feet/tires wet in some newbie trail driving.

-ardy

ps. the FJ sound system is great, that sub really rocks! The parking assist is a nice feature when backing up, the camera is tiny in the rear view mirror but works, I really like the body colored door inserts, can't say anything about the ATRAC, or diff lock since I haven't off roaded. I liked the look of the 17" wheels over the 16" more, oddly enough my dealer had 7 FJ's with the off road/all terrain packages and only 1 FJ with the upgrade package #2 and convenience package (the one I bought).

pss. I hope to get the bluelogic bt setup, toyota ipod interface (or any ipod hookup that allows the toyota shuffle/track/artist features), some type of step rail that wont break off if I ever go trail driving and hit a rock, skid plates, some type of all season floor mats and rear cargo mat, rear door storage nets, snowboard/ski racks, second horn module, tint match front side windows to rears, a nicer transmission lever knob, billet door sills, I think that's it for now!
Old 10-29-2010, 02:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Haven't pulled the trigger quite yet. I'm still leaning towards Convenience + Upgrade Package #2 rather than Convenience + All-Terrain, and then getting the Bilsteins installed by the dealer at delivery time so they're covered under the factory warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.