Newbie Discussions A flame free zone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2012 TT Exterior Lighting

I recently purchased one of the last '12 TT's in my area and it is the version that does not have the wind deflector and exterior lights (it came with steel rims etc.).

I've been searching the threads here on the site in the tech and general discussion sections and have an idea of what type of lighting i'd like to put on the front and eventually rear of my factor rack. I plan to stay with the factory rack for a while and possibly put a basket in for storage but for the time being, I picked up some Yakima 23H mounts for the factory crossbars and have been using the FJ to haul around my hobie kayak.

My question would be this, since other '12 TT's have lighting on the wind deflectors, should I find wiring already installed up thru the factory racks and down thru the pillars and up to my switch panel? (I've no switch on the panel for exterior lights) If so, is there a link here somewhere or a discussion that I can review to see how I can best utilize this existing wiring? I've spent a few days going thru the posts and believe I saw where it should be wired but nothing definitive.

Any help on this would be appreciated - I'm not too smart on wiring things up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FJ Cruiser.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	65134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak Mounts not attached to Rack.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	65135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack Rollers Bottom with 23H.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	65136  

Last edited by Montesdad; 11-27-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Forum Superstar

Location: Cortez, Colorado (2 Hours away from both the FJ Summit and Moab)
Garage
Re: 2012 TT Exterior Lighting

Are you saying you want to use the same air dam with the spots for lights but instead of factory lights use aftermarket?

And as far as wiring goes, I believe the wiring for this would go down through the roof rack, down the A pillar, and then into then you'd hook it up in the interior.

Here is a link to a factory air dam with lights being sold on ebay for a good price.
FJ Cruiser Air Dam & Lights for Factory Roof Rack bar | eBay

I'm not sure if this comes with directions because i didn't read anything except the price, and I dont know if it comes with the switch that you'd add to the FJ's switch panel. But I know you can find those switches online, you just have to search for them but it should be easy.

Hopefully this helps!

FJX2000 - Hayden
2007 TRD Special Edition FJ Cruiser - SOLD

Go to my GARAGE or click here to see the STORM DAMAGE TRD build thread!

I will be on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for 2 years starting Sept. 4, 2013. During that time, I will have no forum access so I wish you all the best and if you have a question about a thread I've done or my rig, refer to my build thread or see a moderator! See you in 2 years!

#3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

i would doubt the wiring is there since those lights would normally be installed at the port after arrival from Japan.

2011 NSSE - Icon coilover - TotalChaos UCA - SAW rear coils - OME 895 rear medium shocks - Metal Tech slider - Metal Tech tube bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - PIAA 520 ATP - Midland 75-822 CB - Boztec antenna mount - Duratrac 285/70x17 - Scuba Mod - Ricochet skids - PIAA dual horn 400/500 - sPOD - Ellis Stealth Shift Knobs - MPAC rear/side rack - PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBDII - Nestah Edition Firestik Radio Antenna - National Luna Single Battery Monitor - Tantrum Rock Lights - Outrider Shock Armor - Toy Outfitter LCA - Switched DRL's - Front rock cameras - Custom Rear Cargo Storage - Platinum PM-1 Battery - Raingler Cargo Nets - 10LB Powertank
#4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm not sure if there is a certain look you’re going for, but I'm running a set of Rigid Industries Duallys on the rear of my roof rack as back up lights/recovery lights, a set of amber light Dually D-2’s on the front bumper as fog lights and I just ordered a set of white light Dually for the front bumper as driving lights. I love my Rigid Industries lights. They are more expensive then other manufacturers, but in my opinion they are the best. If your not familiar with Rigid I would suggest you check them out. I’m running all my lighting through my sPOD. The way I see it, if your gunna go through the trouble of running wiring through your roof rack down the A pillar and into the cabin, you might as well do it with good lighting. I Hope this Helps

***CLICK BELOW TO CHECK OUT MY FJ BUILD***

http://bakesfj.weebly.com

**FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK**

-BAKER-

#5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the response guys.

Since some of the TT's had an air dam with lights and others didn't, were they all prewired (wires to the back of the switch area and upto thru the roof and in the rack base)? Lmmmmm's response would lead me to believe that the TT airdam and lights setup would have been installed after arrival but only for those units with that particular package. I just haven't an opportunity to pull it all apart to look inside to see and figure out a best plan to accomplish. I just saw on one of the posts that the FJ appears to be wired up into the A Pillar but not beyond that as the rest would come with the lights/airdam kit.

Not sure I'd go with with an original style airdam and lights as it won't fit in my garage - was looking at a lower profile couple of 21" LEDs up front hooked up to a bar attached to the factory rack and a single 15" or so LED in the back. I saw some builds with this type of setup and probably am leaning in that direction. I figure that would give me adequate clearance (I don't have much to work with) to get it indoors. I have to remove my yak mounts to get it in the garage.

Last edited by Montesdad; 11-28-2012 at 09:54 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Are you wanting just roof lights or lights on the bumper as well?

Are you planning on adding a aftermarket bumper?

I am running a Bajadesigns stealth led light bar on the front. And I ave the bajadesigns Sll as a back up light. It works perfectly as a camp/reverse light.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.