Front end creaking noise - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interested in the new Toyota Tundra? Stop in at the Toyota Tundra Forum @ www.tundratalk.net!
Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Background Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Chat Insurance Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Newbie Discussions A flame free zone

FJCruiserForums.com is the premier Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Member Number: 47863
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 10
Question Front end creaking noise

I've begun to notice a creaking noise coming from the front end of my FJ when the road bends, but not so much when I make turns at intersections or maneuver in the parking lot. It's only audible with the windows rolled down and sounds like a slowly shutting creaky door. It's not as noticeable while driving straight. At first I thought it was my aftermarket front bumper or the suspension, but it doesn't accentuate when rolling over bumps in the road.

It's a 2008 with 70,000 miles and an OME Heavy lift with 285s on stock 17s. I hope it's something as simple as getting a lube job and not something more serious like needing new control arms.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thank you in advance!
The Sports Dude is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Superstar
 
Smalldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Member Number: 54049
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 8,736
Blog Entries: 1
Supporting Member
Re: Front end creaking noise

I had a similar creak or groan and it was my UCA bushing groaning because it was embedded with dirt. I doused the top of the uniball with Tri Flow and it solved it...for now anyway




Sent from AutoGuide.com App
__________________
  • 2007 Voodoo 6MT
  • AllPro Walker Evans lift
  • AllPro Uniball UCAs
  • Allpro Rear Lower Links
  • Allpro Roof Rack
  • LCNW Front Tube Bumper
  • LCNW Rear Tube Bumper
  • Warn 9.5 TI Winch with Syn Line
  • 285 70 17 Duratracs
  • URD 6MT Quickshifter
Smalldog is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Member Number: 47863
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 10
Re: Front end creaking noise

Quote:
Smalldog previously said: View Post
I had a similar creak or groan and it was my UCA bushing groaning because it was embedded with dirt. I doused the top of the uniball with Tri Flow and it solved it...for now anyway




Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks! There are no adverse effects of Tri Flow on the rubber bushing?
The Sports Dude is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Superstar
 
Smalldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Member Number: 54049
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 8,736
Blog Entries: 1
Supporting Member
Re: Front end creaking noise

Quote:
The Sports Dude previously said: View Post
Thanks! There are no adverse effects of Tri Flow on the rubber bushing?
Good question. I don't know. I have read that the UCA uniballs shouldn't be lubed at all for that reason, but it seemed I had no choice other than to press a new bushing in there to stop the groan.

It was worth the risk for me because the triflow immediately silenced the groan. I'm just biding time to press new bushings anyway but if the triflow keeps doing the job, I might be good for a long time


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
__________________
  • 2007 Voodoo 6MT
  • AllPro Walker Evans lift
  • AllPro Uniball UCAs
  • Allpro Rear Lower Links
  • Allpro Roof Rack
  • LCNW Front Tube Bumper
  • LCNW Rear Tube Bumper
  • Warn 9.5 TI Winch with Syn Line
  • 285 70 17 Duratracs
  • URD 6MT Quickshifter
Smalldog is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Veteran
 
foxhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member Number: 35848
Location: East bay, Ca and Bozeman, Montana For College
Posts: 411
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Front end creaking noise

Quote:
Smalldog previously said: View Post
Good question. I don't know. I have read that the UCA uniballs shouldn't be lubed at all for that reason, but it seemed I had no choice other than to press a new bushing in there to stop the groan.

It was worth the risk for me because the triflow immediately silenced the groan. I'm just biding time to press new bushings anyway but if the triflow keeps doing the job, I might be good for a long time


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I've never used triflow on a car before, but i've used it on countless bike parts and its a tried and true product in my book! You should be fine
__________________
"Life makes everyone suffer, its those that can suffer the most that will come out on top" - Tyla Rattray

Project Trail Whale:http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ail-whale.html

"It doesn't matter how capable your rig is if you don't wheel it"
foxhead is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Superstar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Member Number: 66272
Location: Central Interior, BC. Can.
Posts: 1,973
Re: Front end creaking noise

Quote:
The Sports Dude previously said: View Post
I've begun to notice a creaking noise coming from the front end of my FJ when the road bends, but not so much when I make turns at intersections or maneuver in the parking lot. It's only audible with the windows rolled down and sounds like a slowly shutting creaky door. It's not as noticeable while driving straight. At first I thought it was my aftermarket front bumper or the suspension, but it doesn't accentuate when rolling over bumps in the road.

It's a 2008 with 70,000 miles and an OME Heavy lift with 285s on stock 17s. I hope it's something as simple as getting a lube job and not something more serious like needing new control arms.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thank you in advance!
Stock control arms or aftermarket??? If stock this sounds like very dry seized control arm bushings you should be able to replicate by pushing down on the bumper. Triflow is ok on the rubber but the arms should be taken apart cleaned and lubed.
After market arms if they are hiem joint style any thing like Triflow will attract more dirt . I would clean the joint and use silicone or dry grafite lube.
WaJohnZ is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Veteran
 
Evil Trunk Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member Number: 12513
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 876
Re: Front end creaking noise

Two squeaks that sound similar other than UCA:
1) the plastic front bezel took a hit on one of my FJs and squeaked thereafter (reproducible by pushing on a corner of it)
2) aftermarket bumper? Some make contact with the bolt that sticks off the AC radiator pipe (not sure if that is actual name but one skinny pipe in front of your radiator has a bolt near bottom sticking out toward front). A piece of rubber in between will keep the metal contact from squeaking.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
__________________
Build Thread! Firefly 2012 TT
Evil Trunk Monkey is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:26 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.