Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Looking for an FJ...

981 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Moab Junky 
#1 ·
Hello all! I am new to theses forums, so please, PLEASE let me know if I need to repost this in a different thread or if this type of post belongs in a different general forum.

Anyway, I am new to Toyota and because my new job requires traveling in the snow on occasion, I need a reliable 4WD. I wanted to look no further than Toyota. I have test driven several 2010 4Runners, and while I like them, I like the idea of a less expensive FJ Cruiser--plus they look a bit more unique. Anyway, I typically don't like buying from a dealership, and have found a few locally on Craigslist--which can be very sketchy however.

I also looked up common issues with 07-08 FJ's and one of the most prevalent issues listed that I've seen listed is transmission shuddering. Now, my previous car, a 2004 Acura TL had this issue and it drove me up the wall--couldn't stand it and the price for a good new tranny was out of the question. Not something I want to go through again.

So I thought I could ask for a few pointers? As a 21 year old college student who works full time, what would you advise when looking at reliability and dependability with this specific Toyota? I know every car is different, but is there something or many things to look for when trying out these vehicles? Also, the FJ's that I'm looking at tend to be around the 100K mile range, so anything to be cautious of there? I would assume a timing belt would need to be replaced if it hasn't already with that high of mileage, but anything else?

I would really appreciate ANY advice about the FJ that you all could send my way, so thank you in advance. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Best advice... Get one
Second best advice... Hide your wallet - freeze it in ice :)
Lots of good FJs out there. I'd try to find one that wasn't off roaded.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
07s look for fender bulge but those are on the early manufactures ones from late 2006
08s have some rear diff problems

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
Mines a 2007 with 238,000 miles. Nothing went wrong until 163,000 when the catalytic converter went out. In almost 8 years I've put less than $2,000 into repairs. If the maintenance is kept up with its a very dependable vehicle. You mentioned a timing belt, I believe the FJ has a timing chain which I've been told by a Toyota specialty mechanic don't need periodic replacing and rarely fail.

#8 ·
Good luck in your search.

#9 ·
Welcome from Crawlerado!! I would get the newest one you can afford. Tons of them haven't seen much off road. Rear locker and A trac are very important if you plan to climb with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.