Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

How many of your rugged off-road FJ's are also your daily drivers?

4K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  Fjamming 
#1 ·
Just wondering. Back in the day when I had my '74 Bronco, I beat it up on Saturday, fixed it on Sunday, drove it to work on Monday. I'm older now and have no desire to beat up my FJ like that but would still enjoy some good trail driving. How do you guys balance the two?

#2 ·
My FJ is my do-all vehicle. I try not to punish it on trails I know will tear it up, but can't always avoid that.

The gas mileage gets bad with the mods, so luckily I live 10 miles from work. I would probably buy a beater backup car if I had a 30+ mile commute.

Reactions: FJ_YYC and lqdchkn
#24 ·
#5 ·
Guys

My FJ is my daily driver. I drive 60 mile round trip and always average around 21 or 22 mpg. I just turned 91k miles and still looks like the day I bought it inside and out and still not a scratch on it. I did drive it on the grass once, does that count for off-roading? LOL!

George

#7 ·
It is my DD, but I only offroad. Just offroad over a few smart cars, park on a Prius. Follow my advise and it won't have to touch pavement. That is what the median is for right?

Haha, I love it in the winter, there are so many open spots that nobody else seem to see.

Cheers,
Matt

#8 · (Edited)
I do : ) My FJ has been all over this continent to wheel. I was hitting some <><> trails a few weeks ago that were 250 miles away from home base. It is ready for more!!!! Here's to the next 200 thousand miles! <Honk honk!>

9-Ball is my daily driver (with the hammer down)

I used to hit trails in the Oklahoma area when I was growing up in Tulsa. I had the "Best in show" Bronco II named "Sluggo". That truck was awesome! The seats were about 2" higher than in My FJ.

Reactions: Soup and bazross
#9 ·
My FJ is my trail whore and I treat it that way. Otherwise it sleeps in the garage awaiting its next beating :lol:

#12 ·
The Mighty beast was my DD and Weekend Whore! These days she no longer has to prove herself as she has proven herself in every off road OHV east of the mighty Mississippi! I want to now pamper her and give the TLC and love that she has given me...I want to give her a rest with all her wishes of added armor and performance mods so she can still satisfy my deep dark desires.

The true potential can never be wasted on a DD to and from work...My girl likes to rest up and save herself to play hard and satisfy all my wanton needs when I'm ready to go.

Such a loyal Beast she never gets jealous of my second Hoe...Because she knows that all she gets is to bring me to and from work....that is all.

Her mileage and wear is only saved to serve her master...this relationship has been give and take with mutual satisfaction ! LOL

#13 ·
Bought mine in Aug of '06 and drove it daily and on dirt roads. In '08 I attended the Summit and went back to Moab for the first time in about 4 years and got hooked again. Came home and in the next 2-3 months collected parts and had it modded. I then made several trips to Moab and Ouray over the next 4 years and still drove it to work daily for the 85-100 mile round trip. Traded it in April with a little over 203,000 miles. I just used common sense when off road and knew that if I screwed up it would be costly and that I wouldn't have a ride to work.

#14 ·
So after 203k...is she gone now or been replaced with a new FJ or something else? ^^^

#15 ·
My wife and I share my Fj. It's our DD until October when I get a new car. Off road it's capable on road it's a Cadillac that makes a lot of noise. Thanks to Icon I float over Infamous New Orleans pot holes.

Louisana Land Krewesers

#20 ·
Mine is a DD mon-fri, 650 miles a week, home to office and back. On the weekends, its either my or the family toy for anything outdoor. I use common sense when on the trails, having fun for me doesn't mean to break parts, is about taking the trip, having fun, and coming back home in one piece, including the FJ. It has to be ready for DD duties Sunday night until sat morning.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#21 ·
My beast is not just a DD!! SHe can be found in Mall parking lots, going to get groceries, deep in mud pits down south, trails, swamps, rocks, Even cleaned polished and dressed up in car shows!!! I drive it, wife Drives it, Girlfriend Drives it,Best friend drives it to work, drove it 900 miles north to hit trails up in the mountains.. its made Several Family Road trips from Florida to Wv. You name it She gets used for it!

#22 ·
I'm right there with you! Mine is my DD as well. I take it to URE about 1-2 times a month and wheel it on every trail! Also shine it up for cars and coffee every month too :grin Thankfully MPG's don't effect me much since I am only 5-10 min from work

Reactions: mad_mechanix
#23 ·
Don't know if mine qualifies as rugged, but it is definitely my DD. After the BMC, bigger tires, and lift I dropped from 19ish to 16ish MPG. Have some pinstripes. Wouldn't change it for the world :) I just wish I had more time and options for hitting the trails

Reactions: tngrlntx
#25 ·
I've thought about using my wife's corolla as my commuter vehicle. I've also thought of world peace. Neither are likely going to happen :lol:

Reactions: GRMREPR
#32 ·
DD since 2006 :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.