Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Front Differnential oil change

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NestahEdition 
#1 ·
I changed the rear differential oil and transfer case oil with the help of the great How to threads posted in the forum. For the life of me, I cannot find one on the front differential oil and how to do that change. I can do most things or at least am willing to try and learn but I need a little guidance by way of a picture or a thread. Is there one out there on how to do the front differential oil change on a 2012 FJ ? -Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
The last couple of pictures of the 1st post show the drain and fill holes for the front. You may have to remove skid plates too.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ront-rear-differential-oil-change-photos.html

This is a post explaining the front change from another thread. It's by Jayman.

From the driver side, if you shine a flashlight at the front axle you can see the recessed hex head drain and fill plugs. It's easier if you take the rearmost factory skid plate off. If you have the Toyota aluminum optional front skidplate, you will need to remove that first, then the rear skidplate

I had one hell of a time getting my recessed hex head fill plug off. There really isn't a lot of room to work in so I managed to scrape my knuckles and ape arms a few times

I have a pail pump, so refilling the axles is very easy for me. I can do the front axle, transfer case, and rear axle in 25 minutes

NOTE: when you do decide to change your gear oil, ALWAYS take the fill plug off first! If for any reason the fill plug is cross threaded or otherwise fubar'd, you sure don't want to find out after you've taken the drain plug out

Reactions: allrsdup
#4 ·

Yes, you need 10mm hex bit socket to remove/tighten the fill and drain plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.