Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Problem Spots

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  MikelH 
#1 ·
Found a good deal on a 07 FJ recently. It's a 4x4 4.0 V6 manual 77K miles, has some sort of aftermarket wheels, and other than that looks pretty stock. Asking just under 21K. What should I be aware of in this year? Anything I should look for?

All I'll be using it for is work and back and camping trips to the beach.

#2 ·
I just bought an 08 with 69K so I was in the same boat. Make sure it shifts smooth and no shuttering from the trans when in OD at light throttle (around 40mph), make sure there is nothing leaking, check that the 4WD works (no blinking lights on the dash). From all of my research, these things are pretty rock solid in all respects so you should be ok assuming the previous owners took care of it.

I bought mine from a toyota dealership and I made them give me a deal on a trans fluid flush and differential oil change. I HIGHLY recommend you get a full trans flush from a dealer at the very minimum. Good luck!

#3 ·
Check under the hood on the fenders in front of the hood hinge for the Fender Bulge and Cracking. Several threads about it.

Reactions: ASWH1
#4 ·
I just bought my FJC about a month ago. I would add, check underneath for rust. I couldn't believe the amount of rust underneath, even on a 1 yr. old FJ, but it had been in UpState NY. This problem is compounded if the previous owner(s) didn't wash winter road salt, or brine off, and/or drove on the beach in the summer.
I would take it to a mechanic for around $100. and have them check it over, and do an electronic diagnostic on it.
Good Luck! You're gonna love the truck!
Anne

#5 ·
Please check the front shocks/suspension/CV boots for leaks. Check the alternator to make sure it is charging. Check the battery to see if it was ever replaced.

^

These are items my 07 encountered at around that mileage.

#6 ·
As other said...check the rust amount...there will be some. On the welds and bolt heads it pretty typical, but heavy surface rust on the frame and axle may be too much.

Check for leaks...CVs, rear axle seals by the brakes. Check the bushings...like on the control arms. See if you think you will be able to adjust the LCA alignment cams...they seize easily if in a salty area.

Look for uneven brake wear...the calipers can seize up sometimes.

Listen to the pulleys up front...the tensioner and idlers sometimes start whining.

Check operation of the locker...dont buy it if it doesnt have one!

#7 ·
If your serious about this FJ and are not sure how to check or don't have a mechanical knowledge Maybe spend the money for a "independent" mechanic to look it over. It is not a guarantee but a mechanic should be able to immediately notice good or bad general condition and test/ check some of the larger dollar repairs such as brakes, suspension or major drive line problems. Did the previous owner keep a maintenance history you can review. See if you can get the Serial number checked at Toyota for recall and work completed on this vehicle
For the most part the FJ has been a very good very reliable vehicle.

#8 ·
Good advice, I had my '07 checked at the local Toyota dealership, but might be even better off with a local mechanic that you trust. Local dealer charged me like an hour labor to do it. They can also pull the service history if it was done at any Toyota dealer (once you buy it, you would be able to see it at toyota.com/owners as well). The first owner of mine did almost all his own maintenance himself, so there was not much history there for me to see.

I also talked the Toyota dealer into pulling me a carfax against their subscription to save me from having to pay for one, in addition to the hour labor from the svc dept.

If you go this route, the svc dept will be able to tell you which/if any recalls are outstanding as well.

#9 ·
Just got mine in May of 2014 and I couldn't be any happier!:clap:

The thing I could really advise is that you should drive the FJ to a toyota dealership and have them give you a complete check of the car, that's what I did to mine and it was perfectly fine, with an exception of the gear light on the AT gears wouldn't light up cause a $2 bulb..

but if you get the FJ congratulations!!!:rocker:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.