Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Newbie Bought an '07 !Won't Drive!

15K views 94 replies 34 participants last post by  Winterpeg 
#1 ·
Hello - looking forward to joining the FJ fray. Mine came yesterday on a roll-back with four flat tires and needing lots of scrubbing(!) Not exactly like driving one off the showroom floor lol.

But I have to get mine going first. She starts and sounds/looks amazing. Put her in gear and there is nothing more than a spinning groan. The previous owner says it's the rear end, I think it's got to be the transfer case or tranny output shaft or ??? Rolls fine in neutral and only makes noise in gear; reverse or drive.

I have basic knowledge at best - and just learning the FJ.

Thanks in advance!

#3 · (Edited)
There are many possible reasons a vehicle won't move, Your going to have to provide more information than that..... For starters very first question is this a Standard or automatic?? 4WD or 2WD. If it's a 4WD are you familiar with how the shifters work? What position is the transfer case shifter in. 2WD, 4HI or N or 4LO. Have you looked to make sure there is a drive shaft (seriously)? When in gear have someone look under the vehicle to see if the drive shaft is turning.

#8 · (Edited)
First thing is to verify that the automatic transmission fluid level is OK. There's no dipstick, so you've got to check it at the fill port on the side of the transmission housing. Since four flat tires often indicate that the vehicle has sat for years, I'd drain the transmission pan and refill with new fluid just to see what's in there, and to have new fluid circulating when you are starting your resurrection project.

To quickly rule out a completely blown rear diff as the cause of no movement, shift the transfer case into 4-HI, then start the engine, and then finally put the transmission in drive.

Another way to look for catastrophic internal damage to transmission, transfer case or the differentials is to drain the lube and catch the first few cups of fluid in a clean glass jar. You'll immediately see the "metal-flake" appearance from a disintegrating bearing, chunks of metal from chipped or broken gear teeth, etc. Additionally, the diffs should have magnetic drain plugs that will tell you a lot about what's happening inside.

Obviously you're going to want to change out ALL lubricants, coolant, etc. as one of the first steps.

#5 ·
Welcome and good luck!

#9 ·
I just read 20 of 61 pages in a thread about tranny shuddering! I don't think that's helping me. The search hasn't helped much either. Maybe I'm forum ignant...

The previous owner is a girly girl, this car broke and the repair estimates were in the $2k range and that's all she knows about it. Trying to track down those estimates has proven difficult. I have known the previous owner since this car was almost new - the records are regular maintenance until one day she put it in gear and it just makes a grinding, rubbing, spinning sound.

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm hoping that this repair will be the first of some upgrades to make this FJ stronger and in good condition for years to come.

#11 ·
Have a friend (safely from the side) watch the main drive shaft while you try reverse and forward shift positions, if the drive shaft does not turn then forget about looking at the differential for now, your problems are transmission/ transfer case related.
Have you checked the transmission fluid level and fluid color. You got grinding noises when trying to shift into 4WD High ? 4WD Low?, seems odd to get grinding while trying to engage 4WD if the truck has never been out of 2WD. What shift position was the main transmission shifter in when trying to move the shifter into 4WD. How many miles on this FJ.

#12 ·
I had the tranny in neutral when going to engage 4WD.

Great - should have thought of having someone see if the driveshaft is spinning or not. That would be a clue...

There is a lot of info out there but most of my findings have not been relevant.

130k on the ODO

#13 ·
SevenAce,

Not sure how you are searching the forum, but the transmission shudder is not likely the problem.

Do a search for "07 rear differential" or "07 rear end failure" and you should come up with some posts about this issue.

My understanding is that there were some early rear differentials that had problems with the gears failing.

#15 ·
First things first: get the truck clean so you can see what you're doing, and so that work is a pleasure. Don't work on a grimy vehicle; that's pointless and unnecessary.

Next, get the Factory Service Manual to start. Do you have a good Metric tool set?

As far as troubleshooting, work your way from the back - differential, U-joints/driveshaft, transfer case, transmission.

Check fluids first. Everything filled to the proper level?

Put the FJC in neutral, motor off. Roll it back and forth on the garage floor. Any noise? If yes, where from? Grinding and scraping noises usually indicate trouble.

If it were me, and assuming everything okay above, I'd drop the driveshaft first and inspect (be sure to mark locations so everything goes back in the exact same spot so it's not unbalanced). This is the single easiest thing to do, and can be knocked out in a half-hour.

Next, I would pull the third member from the rear differential. Again, about a half-hour. Get a drain pan, as a couple quarts of 75-90 will be in there. SAVE THE OIL so you can inspect it. Get a strainer or coffee filter and run the oil through there. Any metal pieces in there?

You can take the third member out of the truck and put it on a workbench. With effort, you should be able to move the ring and pinion and inspect its operation. If something seems off, find yourself a good diff shop and have them inspect.

If all good there, then most likely the transmission (and probably the switching mechanisms) is the culprit. If she had it 8 years and never put it into 4WD, then some parts have atrophied (automotive equivalent of bedsores).

If you feel like you're in over your head (usually the case when it comes to transmissions), find yourself a good independent Toyota mechanic in the area that is familiar with the trucks, especially Tacomas and 4Runners. The FJC borrows much of its componentry from those two vehicles.

Keep us updated.

Good luck!

#16 ·
OK!
This is a bunch of great info and pretty quick turn around for a newbie. Thanks everyone.

Yesterday was clean and air-out day, got the tires aired up, top to bottom scrub and a few wipings down of the moldy interior. Spray wax as-you-dry is enough for now. Will need polishing, waxing and maintenance before I get to enjoy using her hard and getting my own dirt on her.

I'm about to hit the interior with a leaf blower and leave it to air out all day again like yesterday. Another few wiping downs and I'll shampoo everything the third (next) time around. Very cooperative weather here in East TN:)

I am going to try everything suggested here and have an FJ buddy come by. There will be some more info to post here later.

.....and Thanks Everyone

#17 ·
Pictures of the progression are always welcome!
:cheers:

#20 ·
This FJ broke down over a year ago. Previous owner started it regularly and had it in a carport this entire time. Could be better, glad it isn't worse. It's cleaning up nicely!

NEW INFO = Rolls freely in Park. Glad the E-Brake works.

Didn't get much further than that. My motorcycle and sunshine conspired to make me go for a ride. Plus having the leaf blower out meant I ran through 2 tanks of gas cleaning up the yard. The leaf blower worked great to clean out the interior then aired her out for hours again today.

I should have taken 'before pics'. I didn't expect to have interest on here. Glad I do!! She was pitiful with four flats on a flat bed - with the white roof stained and etc - not the right kind of dirty. The interior looked like something from Walking Dead.

One week from tomorrow I will get her apart and report back. :smile

Thanks Everyone

#34 ·
No, no swim. Single mom, it broke and she bought a new car instead of fix it. It just sat and was started enough that the battery never died.

Can't wait to get back to town and fix her! I'm a maintenance fanatic and want to get her fixed before I do all the flushing, etc.

Then it will be time to enjoy!

#35 ·
SevenACE... what part of East Tennessee are you in... I am originally from Bristol, but live in Chattanooga now.

#36 ·
If you put it in gear and the drive line turns without moving the rig = Bad rear end (I know after blowing 3 of them). If your transfer case is in neutral it wont move either and will roll in park. You need to check for drive line movement and then shift that transfer case before guessing any more.

Reactions: WaJohnZ
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.