Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

So I just bought a roof rack.

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  badkobra 
#1 ·
Well, as the title says, I bought a roof rack. It is not an OEM rack (I think). Here is the link to the one that I got: 07 11 Brand New FJ Cruiser Factory Roof Rack Polished | eBay

So my noobie question is, how difficult is this thing going to be to install and is there anything that I need to know before proceeding? I really dont want to damage anything during the install process. I have noticed that there are 6 caps on the roof that I am assuming will just pop off with a flat head screwdriver so I can mount the rack.

This is my first FJ and I personally feel that they look much better with a roof rack. Unfortunately, mine did not come with one :mecry:

Thank you all for tolerating my noobish questions :grin

#4 ·
I am hoping it looks as good on my roof as in does in the photo :smile

#3 ·
yes, that caps pop off.

what you should have is the roof rack delete kit.

You might need install hardware. someone will chime in.

#5 ·
If you are doing it yourself i would hook up with someone who as a factory install and get very specific measurements.
You also may be able to locate these in a web search.
It will involve removing the headliner so you should search that removal/reinstall as well...i recommend you wear clean gloves when removing so as not to dirty up the HL.

:cheers:

#6 ·
I sure hope I do not have to remove the headliner. That will make me re-think my purchase.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Looks simple enough. Thank you! :grin

#10 ·
You do NOT have to remove the headliner to install a factory roof rack!

The plastic caps have arrows on them. Push the in the direction of the arrows. The end opposite the arrows will pull up when pushed in the direction of arrows.

You will need slightly longer bolts than what you will find under the plastic clips. Don't recall the length.
Keep all the rubber washers you find, and re-use. Also, put some silicone on the new bolts.

The rack pictured looks like a copy of a factory rack.

#12 ·
G'day,
Follow the instructions that come with it...
If you need longer hardware as mentioned above, the stock bolts that the OE rack use are M8 x 1.25 pitch, 35mm in length.
If after you pop the 6 covers off the roof, you see bolts already in the mounting holes, and I am pretty sure you will .....carefully remove these bolts.
Its important to break the seat/seal of each bolt on each foot - BEFORE removing either bolt. If you fully remove one bolt before breaking the seal on the 2nd bolt, you risk the inner bracket spinning - then you will have to drop the headliner. And that is a PITA.
same goes when fitting the new longer bolts( that come with the rack) , get both started and finger tight before torquing them down...in fact finger tight all 6 feet before tightening them.
Take you time, slow n carefully .... and you will have a sweet rack fitted in just an hour or two...
cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

#13 ·
Good advice on loosening and tightening all bolts before removing one from a pair. I hadn't even thought about that. Guess its just habit for me.

There will be bolts under the caps, but they will be too short to use with the rack. I would hope the rack comes with proper hardware.

#15 · (Edited)
I've installed a couple and this is a good project to start with. Easy install. Be sure to arrange for help lifting the rack into place so you don't scratch the roof. The racks are not supper heavy but they are awkward so and extra pair of hands will simplify the install.

you've already received the safety tip on the bolts... and a little silicone around the holes will keep the rain out.

#17 · (Edited)
Well, I got it installed. It took some adjusting, but I got it. First of all, I do not recommend buying the rack that I did. The bolts that mount it to the roof were so poorly designed and such low grade metal that I managed to break 2 of them off with just an allen wrench. I was pretty pissed. I ended up going to a machine warehouse and getting high grade stainless steel bolts which used a 13mm socket instead of an allen wrench. It just seemed that this aluminum rack was poorly manufactured as some of the cross bars did not want to fit (either too short or long).

After getting the new bolts today, I decided to take the cross bars off before I mounted it down to the roof. I am not sure if thats what I was supposed to do to begin with but it seemed like a much smoother install the second time around. The new bolts went in flawless and the rack went on quite easily. I am happy with the way the new rack looks, but I still wish I would have spent a little more on an OEM.

Here is the new rack:

And yes, those are actual rain clouds in southern California.

Attachments

Reactions: bazross
#19 ·
Now I just need some crap to put on the rack.:grin

#21 ·
G'Day Irving,
Great job, well done..!!!! looks great.
The cross members should fit, some might shorter than others. The OE rack does widen slightly going forward.
So if you play around with it a bit, you might find you can fit the cross members ...shorter ones to the back.
Longer to the front, and one should be on the top rail forward ( probably the longest member ) and the shorter ones towards the back.
Good call on replacing the hardware, stronger and won't rust.... the supplied bolts would probably have rusted in 2 minutes anyway...
Well done.
cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

#24 ·
FYI, when installing or removing the roof rack bolts never fully remove one bolt before both bolts will loosen with your fingers, keep one screwed in at least four or five complete turns before removing both. The metal nut plate that the bolts screw into inside is only held in place with a flimsy clip and if you fully remove one bolt and the other is very tight you will remove the clip, the nut plate will just spin and then you WILL be removing the headliner.

Also, the bolts installed are shorter type if you have no roof rack (delete kit installed), these will be too short to use on a roof rack. You need longer ones to attach a factory roof rack. If removing your roof rack never use the longer bolts with the delete kit plates.

Last thing, you should seal the very top of the bolts if the OEM gaskets are not used, this is to prevent leaking through onto your headliner.

Just my two cents... >:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.