Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

newbie question on Toyota Extended Warranty

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Darktiger 
#1 ·
Hi, I got a situation and here's my question...
I recently got a 2012 FJC and paid 2495 on it and a friend f mine said that that was expensive for the extended warranty (platinum). would it be possible to cancel the current one I have and find/ apply for a cheaper one with the same coverage? thanks

#6 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have 30 days from the point of purchase to get a refund. It should state that in the paperwork you received. You need to go back to the dealership, and they might argue that you really need it, etc., but remind them that the contract states that you can get your money refunded.

#8 ·
Yes, that is a lot even if you got the most years/mileage option.

This is one of those items you have to bargain hard for. there are dealers that will sell them cheaper.

If you want a Toyota EW, it must be bought before the 3 year warranty expires. But, Im not entirely knowledgeable about used car purchases.

You can cancel and get a full refund within 10 days, else it is prorated.

Reactions: ASWH1
#11 · (Edited)
Also remember too that if you get an extended warranty on like a 2012, in 2015 that it means X years from 2012 or the date of the vehicle or X miles whichever comes first! I got the Toyota Extended 5 yr. warranty, but thanks to the advice in here was able to haggle the cost down to right around half what they quoted as I recall (~ $800.) My 2013 FJ was already "certified", and I'm guessing yours had low enough miles for a 2012 to qualify for the Extended Platinum Warranty [oh I see you said 49K miles...was it out of warranty? or had Toyota Certified it?]

Always haggle the price and scrutinize all the wacky add-on's that drive the price up. Some of the stuff like towing you can get as an add-on way cheaper through your Insurance company.

I see on this information that you can choose the level of "Platinum"- how many years/miles you want covered. Do you know how many years you opted for for that HIGH (IMHO) price? Here are some Toyota Dealers summaries, though no prices to compare to what they charged you:

http://www.wow-toyota.com/vehicle-service-agreements.htm

http://www.copelandtoyota.com/ExtendedWarranties.aspx

Good Luck! Anne

#12 ·
I told them that I usually buy the Toyota Extended Platinum from another dealership for a lot less. (I did this for my Lexus RX330, Toyota 4Runner and Sienna). I paid $700ish for those three cars.

But I was able to get the best Extended Platinum from the dealer in Houston for $1000.. so I said what the heck, why not...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.