Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Really tight, solid construction

4K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  Codger 
#1 ·
This thing is really put together. In some cases, too well put together.

I want to do something as simple as add my own switch to an empty spot on the 8 switch panel in front of the shifter but I see no way to get one of the "blanks" out to drill a hole to mount my switch. I am adding some blue led lighting to light the feet compartments and I have power right there but I don't see how I can get in there to mount a switch without taking a WHOLE bunch of stuff out. I just want to put in a simple push/push type switch to switch them on and off but wow..... there is really not a lot of access to a newbie who doesn't know the car well just yet.

The red circle is where I want my switch to go.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Get a very small flathead screwdriver and carefully push it in the top between the switch and opening. A little tape on the screwdriver will help so you don't mar the opening. Press down and pull toward you at same time and it should pop right out. If that doesn't work for you PM me your email address or phone number and I can text or email you a video!

Dan

#4 ·
The blanks just pop out with the use of a small screwdriver blade and then there is a hole the size of the switches behind it. You can pick up switches that snap right into place from Toyota, Air On Board, and several other places.

Here's a link to pulling the console and lower switch panel section a part among other things.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-console-door-panels-removal-inst-w-pics.html

#24 ·
I would never drill a hole in the blank because of two reasons. If you ever sale the vehicle and decide to place the blank back in and take your switches out then your left with a big hole and second reason is sometimes from factory there will be a extra harness fitted in the back of one of the blanks and I would hate to almost damage the harness.

Below is a pic of the blank removed easily.

Attachments

#8 ·
#9 · (Edited)
While was installing the stereo and had the center panel off, I was able to reach down behind and pop out a switch blank and install one of the above USB outlets.

It is easy to get the center panel off:
Remove the philips screw at the bottom of the two vertical silver pieces on either side of the center panel. Pull out at the bottom, then pop them off.
Remove the philips screw midway up both sides of the center panel. Pull out at the bottom of the panel and pop it off.
Unclip 3 electrical connectors from the back of the center panel, and set it aside.
Now you can reach down behind the switch panel.

#19 ·
Dude. Four screws. That's it.

While was installing the stereo and had the center panel off, I was able to reach down behind and pop out a switch blank and install one of the above USB outlets.

It is easy to get the center panel off:
Remove the philips screw at the bottom of the two vertical silver pieces on either side of the center panel. Pull out at the bottom, then pop them off.
Remove the philips screw midway up both sides of the center panel. Pull out at the bottom of the panel and pop it off.
Unclip 3 electrical connectors from the back of the center panel, and set it aside.
Now you can reach down behind the switch panel and get at that switch blank.

#13 · (Edited)

Attachments

#15 ·
Reactions: thane
#16 ·
#18 ·
I am probably not even going to bother with this. I am not going to take my car apart just to install 2 small strips of blue interior lights. I have felt all around under the dash and everything is sealed so tightly I can't even get my hand in there, so apparently nothing can happen without taking the console or the dash apart apart, and I am pretty sure if I that I will not be able to put it back together. So it looks like there will be no interior mods for me.

#21 · (Edited)
Seriously this forum is better than a Chilton's or Haines manual. Not only can you find step by step how to's. There are youtube videos to watch. All you need to do is find them study up and take your time. I have a PDF that I can email you from Toyota that will tell you how to get the panels off. It even tells you what tools to use. Hell it tells you was size socket or wrench you need. PM me and I will email it to you. I have had my dash apart two times and you can not tell it. Nothing broken and everything tight as it ever was. The blue lights under the dash sounds cool. You should go for it.

#23 ·
Eddie don't be worried about taking your FJ's interior apart, think of it as 'Big-Boy-Lego' lol. I'm as green as you are to doing this, but thanks to this forum, I've been doing things I never thought of doing to my FJ, and I'm just getting warmed up( limited by funds and time ). The more you take it apart, the more confident you will get each time. These great people in this forum help ALOT in boosting your confidence. Good luck, you can do it![emoji106]?[emoji12]

Sent from a NiPhone using Tapatalk

#29 · (Edited)
6 small bolts and 2 plastic fasteners

Bolt size is 10mm

The video I took tonight is only a little over 5 mins and almost 6 mins. This is a really quick thing to do. The first time just take is slow and normal. After the first time you'll be a pro at it lol.

When you remove the biggest piece of plastic in the middle console - it's the second big area removed in the video. Make sure your driver and passenger seats are back as far as they can be and have the backs leaned back all the way against the rear seats. If you have armrests make sure they are up as well. When you remove this biggest piece you will have to finagle it out between the seats - if you have armrests that is. Also it's a little tight fit below the contols area. Just easily finagle it out and you might have to give a little tug. The same can be said for everything when your putting everything back together.

Your Welcome :) I was more than happy to run out to the garage and make a quick video just to help :) Just don't be afraid to try some things and have fun :)

Reactions: FatJohnson
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.