Insurance: 2x4 vs. 4x4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interested in the new Toyota Tundra? Stop in at the Toyota Tundra Forum @ www.tundratalk.net!
Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Background Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Chat Insurance Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Newbie Discussions A flame free zone

FJCruiserForums.com is the premier Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 17339
Send a message via AIM to WRXtoFJC
Insurance: 2x4 vs. 4x4

anyone get a quote from their insurance company on how much more a 4x4 would be over a 2x4 per year? Just looking for a quick answer because i'll be calling within the week to see myself.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 12463
Re: Insurance: 2x4 vs. 4x4

Our full coverage insurance use to cover:

'02 Tahoe 4x2
'99 Infiniti I30

We dropped the Infiniti and added the '07 FJC 4x4. My insurance went up $15 a month spread over 9 months.

No serious difference in my opinion. The value of the I30 was a 1/3 of the new FJC.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 15750

When I got my FJ back in July there was no difference in the 4x4 and 4x2. I guess they figured there wasn't much of a difference as far as damage goes in a wreck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 17339
Send a message via AIM to WRXtoFJC

thanks for your input guys, that's good to hear tonka, I really want a 4x4 but depending on what my insurance says, I might have to go for 4x2.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 11279
Send a message via Skype™ to frankv64
Lifetime Supporting Member

The gas milage will hurt more than the insurance

07, Voodoo Blue, Auto, 4x4, Conv. Package, UG2, Rear Diff Lock, Atrac,Tow Pack.
OEM Brush Guard w/lights, OEM Roof Rack, OEM Airdam w/lights, OEM Skid Pate, OEM High Tone 2nd Horn, TRD Exhaust,In Channel Vent Shades SwissSuvs Overhead Maplights, Sliding Console Cover,Kuda Cell Phone Mount, 08 Side Visors, Viper Remote Start,Osram 65w/70w Hyper/Rally H4s (awesome), Putco LED Dome Lights,Custom NY Mets Logos(painted on sides and back) Parrot 3200LS Bluetooth
And finally a ding on my windshield
Old 03-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 7204

you will kick yourself in the ass everyday if you want a 4x4 and buy a 4x2 over a couple of bucks per month. get what you want to drive and use.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 17816

my insurance went down from the 4x2 pathfinder I had, I pay 115 less per year for the 4x4 FJ. When I asked why they told the FJ is easier/cheaper to fix.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 17801

Briman hit the nail on the head...even though the biggest bumps I usually hit are the speed bumps at the Beverly Center, once I got my fj I wished I got the 4x4 so I could at least try some serious off-roading.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 13753

Quote:
maedaddyo previously said: View Post
Briman hit the nail on the head...even though the biggest bumps I usually hit are the speed bumps at the Beverly Center, once I got my fj I wished I got the 4x4 so I could at least try some serious off-roading.
just get out and do it...im not trying to brag or hype myself up but the 4x2 can do amazing things. i have not had one problem. the 4x4 guys on here will tell you the same, I can hang with them anyday. 4x4 is nice but the mileage isnt, especially if you lift it and add skid plates everywhere. the only thing I wish I had with my 4x2 is a locker. besides that is was fully loaded when I bought it and I only paid 23K! try to find a brand new 4x4 for that price.

once again...buy what you think is best for you but I can tell you the 4x2 can hang with the 4x4's on most trails.

MEMBER OF THE BENT UPRIGHT CLUB

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

articulating light system

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
Old 03-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 13753

check out this link...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...er-thread.html

btw my insurance is $114 a month and would have been $130 for 4x4...not too big of a difference

MEMBER OF THE BENT UPRIGHT CLUB

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

articulating light system

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.