Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

~ Music in my FJ Cruiser ~

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  WebSnyper 
#1 ·
OK,

I am a kid from the 80's and I love a different type genre. So I like to may be download and play onto a my FJ. Should I purchase a new radio with all the goodies or should I use the one in the FJ. I mean, no one uses the CD's any longer do we?

I'm I getting too old?

#2 ·
Old guys rule... :)

#3 ·
Quality wise it's really hard to beat plain old CD's. If you have the FJammer with Aux port option you can use and MP3 device such as phone or iPod to play music. Or you can get a fancy head unit that will sound slightly better and can download music to an SD card to be able to play anytime. Lots of options!

#4 ·
I've got over 4000 CDs and I still use some. I've put some on my Ipod and some on thumb drives that I also use. It just depends on what I'm doing.

#7 ·
Oh man, thanks for making me feel better about how much I've spent on CDs! I don't have 4000, but pretty sure it over 1000.

Anyway, I am older than the OP and I used to bring a shoebox of CDs with on trips. But a couple of mishaps convinced me this was a dumb thing to do. On one overlanding trip I ran over the box after breaking camp, fortunately somebody spotted them, but I had a lot of jewel cases to replace and a few CDs. Then last spring I got too deep in a puddle and my CD box got flooded with silty water. What pain that was, the CDs were cleanable but the literature was pretty trashed.

So I replaced my base stereo in the FJC with an Alpine head unit that accepts thumb drives, and as above just put it on shuffle. No more dealing with CDs on the road. I wouldn't tolerate MP3 sound quality at home, but in a vehicle it is fine.

#5 ·
If we use CDs in our FJ, they get coated with dirt and end up scratched. We have not addressed the radio in the FJ yet, we just don't use the player much (aside from a weekly maintenance drive, we are about 80 percent off-road.)

For our motorhome, we bought a player-radio without a CD player, so nothing to break or get dirty. Just a USB input. We have a thumb-drive with several days of music,and we just hit the "shuffle" button.

Players of this type are cheap. I think we paid about $40.

Matt B

https://www.amazon.com/Ezonetronics...UTF8&qid=1475974217&sr=8-9&keywords=car+radio

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.