Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Help Understanding Suspension... What Are These?

12K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  FatJohnson 
#1 ·
Hi all,

First, wanted to say thank you for the great resource available here; I have a stock 07 purchased last fall (112K mi.) and have used the how-to's to get all fluids, plugs, etc. up-to-date. I am now looking at modding and lift/suspension upgrades, but am having trouble understanding what these various parts are and how they are used in the vehicle. If anyone has time to explain some or all of the following, I would appreciate it!

1. Coil-overs
- These are the "big springs?" Are they in both front and back? It sounds like these are part #1 of 2 in a lift kit (so a lift kit would have bigger springs than stock, right?).

2. Shocks / Reservior
- These are part #2 of 2 in a lift kit? Not sure what they do. Also what is a reservoir and when/why would I use it?

3. Upper Control Arms
- It sounds like I would want to replace these when I get a lift kit, since using the stock ones would cause a problem with steering by changing your "pinion angle" (?).

4. Lower Control Arms
- No idea

5. Spindle
- No idea

6. Uniball
- No idea, seems to be only on Long Travel Lift Kit

7. Rear Links
- Are these different than Lower Control Arms? Are they only on the back?

8. Sway Bar
- No idea, front and back, any need to replace this?

9. Anything else related that I am missing?

10. I have been looking at air2air's "Uber FJ" build, and it seems like he has a long travel suspension. From searching it sounds like Total Chaos Fabrication is the best/only maker of these. If I bought this kit would it be better in 2.5" or 3.5" and which of these other things listed above do I also need to buy?

Thank you for your time!

:cheers:

See less See more
#2 ·
On my phone and hate to type that much or I would answer

Google each one of these with FJ Cruiser in front and it might help, click on image during your searches and to can see what part your asking.

If nobody has answered by you he time I get to a keyboard I'll help

#3 ·
1. Coil-overs
- These are the "big springs?" Are they in both front and back? It sounds like these are part #1 of 2 in a lift kit (so a lift kit would have bigger springs than stock, right?).
Not quite, coilovers are the type of suspension located on the front end. Basically: Coil over shock. IE: Coil on top of shock. All one unit. Front has coilovers, rear has separate coils and shocks.

2. Shocks / Reservior
- These are part #2 of 2 in a lift kit? Not sure what they do. Also what is a reservoir and when/why would I use it?[/I]
Shocks are very important. They are Ok from the factory but need to be upgraded if you do too much offroading. Aftermarket has bigger, better shocks for more control over your vehicle. It will ride much better offroad with the right shocks.

The reservoirs are an additional unit connected to high-end offroad shocks. They provide increased dampening through a separate piston, adjustability with knobs, and increase oil capacity which helps keep the oil cool and prevent cavitation in the shock oil which leads to decreased dampening as the shock gets hot.

3. Upper Control Arms
- It sounds like I would want to replace these when I get a lift kit, since using the stock ones would cause a problem with steering by changing your "pinion angle" (?).
Not quite, aftermarket UCA's help you regain proper alignment after lifting it. When lifting the front end, the geometry changes and you will need a new alignment. Sometimes the technician is unable to provide proper adjustment because of he lift. The UCA's actually move the tire slightly so alignment can be improved. They also provide more suspension travel when running with extended travel coilovers.

4. Lower Control Arms
- No idea
For extreme duty use, adjustability with heim's, and much more strength over stock. Some are stock length and some are for long travel setups only.

5. Spindle
- No idea
A stock part on your FJ. Attaches the UCA to the lower control arms. A fairly common upgrade is to weld on a gusset, but not necessary unless you plan on heavy wheeling.

6. Uniball
- No idea, seems to be only on Long Travel Lift Kit
Uniballs can be found on stock width kits. Just a type of upper control arm. Provide more travel than stock when paired with extended travel coilovers.

7. Rear Links
- Are these different than Lower Control Arms? Are they only on the back?
Yes and yes. On the back and more of a "trailing arm". These are commonly upgraded as trail armor. It's pretty easy to hit them offroad.

8. Sway Bar
- No idea, front and back, any need to replace this?
Yes, they are found from the factory on the front and back. No need to replace as there aren't really any aftermarket parts for them. It is fairly common to remove them and gain a little flex front or rear for the trail, but this also adversely effects street handling and body roll.

Nope, that covers just about everything. :lol:

10. I have been looking at air2air's "Uber FJ" build, and it seems like he has a long travel suspension. From searching it sounds like Total Chaos Fabrication is the best/only maker of these. If I bought this kit would it be better in 2.5" or 3.5" and which of these other things listed above do I also need to buy?
There are a handful of long travel kits out there. Camburg, Total Chaos, Dirt King, All Pro, and probably some more I'm forgetting. Long travel is measured in "width over stock". For example, the Total Chaos +2 LT is 2 inches wider than stock per side, so 4" wider track width overall. The +3.5 is 7" wider overall than stock. Just personal preference how extreme you want to go. For example, tt may be more beneficial to keep it narrower for tight trails.

Thank you for your time!

I suggest you take more time to review parts and setups to figure out what you need. No offense, but it appears to me that you have been bitten hard by the mod bug and are scrambling to learn new stuff. Slow down and do some research! I know how it feels to be head deep into something and feel time crunched to get it all setup. This will only cost you $$ in the long run or you could possibly be stuck with a setup you don't like. Take it slow! Here is some links to get you started on your research, it's all been said before, you just have to find it! :)

FJ Cruiser lift options explained | Off-Road Adventure
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-tech/523489-lower-link-comparison-guide.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-steering-tech/577594-uca-comparison-guide.html

#4 ·
I suggest you take more time to review parts and setups to figure out what you need.
Thank you so much Iconic for taking the time to type all that out, it is extremely helpful. I think you're right in that I need to take some more time and research. Amazed at the quick responses and friendliness from you guys! :wave:

Reactions: Iconic_
#5 ·
Hi all,

First, wanted to say thank you for the great resource available here; I have a stock 07 purchased last fall (112K mi.) and have used the how-to's to get all fluids, plugs, etc. up-to-date. I am now looking at modding and lift/suspension upgrades, but am having trouble understanding what these various parts are and how they are used in the vehicle. If anyone has time to explain some or all of the following, I would appreciate it!

1. Coil-overs

2. Shocks / Reservior

The lower photo shows the front coil overs with reservoirs and the rear shocks with reservoirs.

3. Upper Control Arms

4. Lower Control Arms
Front

5. Spindle

Bare

6. Uniball

The uniball is the gold and silver joint at the end.

7. Rear Links

Short tubes are the upper and the long tubes are the lower.

8. Sway Bar

Thank you for your time!

This shows the upper and lower control arms, the coil over unit which is the spring/shock in one piece, and the sway bar as they are on a vehicle.

This shows the rear suspension with the rear upper and lower control links or trailing arms, sway bar, coil spring, and shock.

This shows the spindle and front axle as a unit.

The photos at the top of each piece may or may not be an actual FJ part. I used what I could find the best photo of.

#7 ·
The photos at the top of each piece may or may not be an actual FJ part. I used what I could find the best photo of.
BIGGUY this is awesome with the photos! I just printed off your post and Iconic so I always have it as a reference. I think I finally understand more of what's going on, now just need to figure out what I want haha.

801 this is 385 :lol:

Where are you located? I'm in Draper and would be happy to meet up sometime and show you parts and talk FJ's.
Hello fellow Utahn! :bigthumb: I am up in SLC proper so a bit of a drive, but would ask if you have any recommendations on where to buy parts or any trusted shops in UT? It seems like buying online would always end up being the best deal on price, but I do know that Richochet is actually based here but haven't visited there yet and sometimes better to "buy local." I tried googling 4x4 shops and came up with "Jack-It" in West Valley but don't have any experience with them. Most things I would hope to do myself, but for certain things like coils/shocks it would probably be better to pay for an install.

Thanks for the responses guys! :cheers:

#8 · (Edited)
Post a few more times to get 5 total posts and I'll send you a PM with my cell.

That way we can talk more verse going through a thread.

Utah people crack me up with "bit of a drive" comments :lol:. Try living in a real city and talk about commutes and getting around. 20mins to draper is a breeze!

I live with my fiancé downtown off of Broadway but the FJ doesn't fit so it's in Draper. Moving with her up emigration canyon in a few weeks, selling the Draper place.

Ricochet is local, @cnckart on here. His name is Brad.

Another local company is Expedition One in Ogden. I help them with advertisement and run a lot of their parts.

For powder coating I'd use armor coating off of redwood.

Cruiser outfitters is local, they specialize in older FJ's. Kurt is a legend in the industry.

Fat Bob's garage is a local shop for install but my recommendations is to do it yourself with help from locals. You will spend 30% more and learn nothing letting others touch your rig.

We can chat more on what you're looking to do and I can point you into the right direction.

I believe JackIt is closed but I might be mistaken.

#10 ·
Sounds like there are actually some great resources nearby, will check out Expedition One hadn't heard of them. I agree on that you learn nothing without doing it yourself, and should always know what's going on if (when) anything goes wrong. I am heading out right now but will try to post more today to activate my PM system. Thanks again for all the responses and being so helpful!

#12 ·
Thanks Zero, I missed that somehow will check it out!

#15 ·
#16 ·
Hey 801! I'm also in UT, Provo actually, but I make it up to Salt Lake most weekends, was just up there today actually at a model railroad club! (My other passion in life.) Hope we brush shoulders!

#20 ·
... at a model railroad club! (My other passion in life.)
Did you see the Jackass model railroad stunt? it's on Youtube - NSFW!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.