Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

new tires for TT

3K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  vanillabrice 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 FJ TT that needs new tires. I love the original tires a lot and didn't care for the ones that came standard on the non-TT models. I called Toyota service to inquire about new tires and the 2 options they gave me look to be normal looking tires. Can anyone tell me the best way to get new tires similar to my original ones? I'm a moron when it comes to this stuff so not sure where to start.
Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

The stock tires on the TT are BFG All Terrain TA KO. You should still be able to find them if you look around. BFG has come out with the KO2 version which does look a little bit different. If you want something different, search online with the tire size to see what's available. 265/75 R16 is stock for the TT.

#3 ·
first off....talking to Toyota dealer or any car dealer service about tires is a waste of time and money. Do you have a Discount Tire in your town (this is where it would help if people indicated in their profile where they are from). If so, pay them a visit and talk to them about your options....They can come up with a whole lot more options than 2.

In addition, you can usually get a FJ Cruiser Forum discount even from the local Discount Tire shops ($50 on set of 4) if you mention it.

Heck....go on the discounttiredirect.com website or tirerack.com website and put in your year an model and start shopping.

#4 ·
Sorry, I'm from Olathe, KS which is on the SW side of Kansas City. I just checked maps and it looks like there are a couple Discount Tire locations near me. I guess I was thinking of buying through Toyota because I would get free tire rotations and I still get my oil changes done there.

#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·
I just bought a set of these (General Grabber X3) for the summer (hope the link worked?):

#14 ·
Well, I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I've settled on getting the KO2's at the nearby Discount Tire shop. I've also decided to go with upsizing to the 285/75 but have a question. The salesman said I only need to buy 4 tires as my current spare could safely be used until I repaired whatever tire was damaged. I rarely take my FJ on trails so I tend to agree with him but please let me know what you all think. Thanks!

#15 ·
I've also decided to go with upsizing to the 285/75 but have a question. The salesman said I only need to buy 4 tires as my current spare could safely be used until I repaired whatever tire was damaged.
That's okay as long as you have an automatic trans. That would be an absolute no-go if you have a manual.

#20 ·
I'm wondering why 285's were even brought up? He's made no indication that he has modded his vehicle or has plans to. The 285's might rub on the body mounts, but then again they might not. What about getting a proper alignment? Do you have aftermarket UCA's? Just something to consider...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.