LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2008 vs 2010-2013 buying question

Hello!
I am currently in debate whether to buy an fj or not. Ive wanted one for a while and will probably go ahead with it this week.
Problem is I'm looking and 2 different fj's being the

2008 with 70k kilom for $22k
VS
2013 with 50k kilom for $35k

I know fj retain their value quite a bit so id be willing to shell out more money for the 13.
However is it worth spending the extra $13k just to buy a newer model fj when their mileage is similar?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:45 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Re: 2008 vs 2010-2013 buying question

Hello,
Are they both stock, with no mods. If so I would go with the 2008 as you can easily spend that additional $13,000.00 your going to save on mods. But, once the mod bug hits, that $13,000.00 you thought you would be saving will be, a drop in the bucket because the mods never end..............Think energizer bunny, in a twisted sort of way! Don't ask me how I know this to be true
Ole Blu likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
jameykini previously said: View Post
Hello,
Are they both stock, with no mods. If so I would go with the 2008 as you can easily spend that additional $13,000.00 your going to save on mods. But, once the mod bug hits, that $13,000.00 you thought you would be saving will be, a drop in the bucket because the mods never end..............Think energizer bunny, in a twisted sort of way! Don't ask me how I know this to be true
They are both stock and yeah i was thinking of doing mods to it too so if i Get the 2013 id still be paying 13k more when compared in the end

Id rather save the money for mod if there are no significant differences

Would a 10 yr old fj function just as new even with low mileage and would it still be reliable for the next 10 yr?

Last edited by dXXb; 02-15-2017 at 10:20 PM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Thing is, there are significant differences between the '07 - '09 model years and the '10+ model years. A short list includes:

1) Improved engine which when running premium fuel makes nearly as much power as the older engine with a TRD supercharger.
2) No ATRAC + Diff lock hacks needed
3) No airbag disable switch needed
4) Larger and stronger differentials. This is important if you want big tires, which will inevitably lead you to wanting to re-gear your diff.

There are other things but those are the 4 items that pushed me into a '10 model.

Now, what packages are offered with the two you're considering? Also, you don't have to get the '13 model, just bide your time until a more affordable 2010+ option comes along.

- Robot
boom boom and Ole Blu like this.

f0rgiv3 m3, i haz t3h dum6
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:54 PM
Forum Regular

Garage

Quote:
dXXb previously said: View Post
They are both stock and yeah i was thinking of doing mods to it too so if i Get the 2013 id still be paying 13k more when compared in the end

Id rather save the money for mod if there are no significant differences

Would a 10 yr old fj function just as new even with low mileage and would it still be reliable for the next 10 yr?
It depends on the condition of the FJ. I baby my FJ, I have yet to wheel it. Yeah, I know I'm a poser. But I have no rust, no problems and yes I do have a supercharger that makes a considerable amount more more HP than a 2010, 2011, 2012, 13 and 14. But only when I use super 92 octane unleaded fuel. LOL, others with a S/C are laughing along with me. Dang-it I asked you not to ask me about those $$$$ mods...

Last edited by jameykini; 02-16-2017 at 12:58 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Robot previously said: View Post
Thing is, there are significant differences between the '07 - '09 model years and the '10+ model years. A short list includes:

1) Improved engine which when running premium fuel makes nearly as much power as the older engine with a TRD supercharger.
4) Larger and stronger differentials. This is important if you want big tires, which will inevitably lead you to wanting to re-gear your diff.

There are other things but those are the 4 items that pushed me into a '10 model.

Now, what packages are offered with the two you're considering? Also, you don't have to get the '13 model, just bide your time until a more affordable 2010+ option comes along.

- Robot
It is the off road package. I work at a construction area so i come across some light off roading but nothing major so i wont be needing to lift and add bigger tires.
I believe it does come with the atrac tho?
I forgot to mention im in canada and the $$ was mentioned in canadian so im leaning toward the 08 for 17k usd.. Unless anyone strongly recommends the 2010+
Ps condition should be good as it is owned by a 80+yr old man...

Last edited by dXXb; 02-15-2017 at 11:33 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:01 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Robot previously said: View Post

- Robot
My 2007, purchased new, has a production date of Sep 2006. The ATRAC + Diff lock correction was made during Nov 2006, so the 2008 FJ in question won't have that concern.

The 2007-2009 engine is adequate for running at 80 mph, which is the highway speed limit in western states. I travelled for 2-1/2 months last summer pulling a teardrop camping trailer, and didn't lack for power travelling from Arizona to Nova Scotia and back; total of 14,700 miles. The engine change in 2010 was driven by ecological reasons as much as anything. This included switching the canister oil filter mounted conveniently for easy access at the top of the engine to a paper cartridge filter located for a messy oil change on the bottom. Apparently point were rewarded to manufacturers to do away with bulky canisters and minimize environmental trash with just a paper cartridge.

Although I have haven't had any problems with the earlier model differentials, the production improvement in later models shows Toyota's commitment to quality. If this is important to the buyer, a differential swap could be made easily for less than the $13,000 price differential.

I think the buyer may want to have a third party look at the 08 FJ and ensure it is in good shape. If so, I would opt for the 08. IMO
Ole Blu likes this.

“Kansas Law Dog” for admiration of “Tombstone”, the movie, and the legend of Wyatt Earp.

2007 Titanium 4x4 Automatic (stock except non-factory rock rails)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:09 AM
Forum Regular

Garage

Quote:
dXXb previously said: View Post
It is the off road package. I work at a construction area so i come across some light off roading but nothing major so i wont be needing to lift and add bigger tires.
I believe it does come with the atrac tho?
I forgot to mention im in canada and the $$ was mentioned in canadian so im leaning toward the 08 for 17k usd.. Unless anyone strongly recommends the 2010+
Ps condition should be good as it is owned by a 80+yr old man...
Very cool, is the 80+ year old gentleman the the original owner? If so, and if both vehicles are mechanically sound, I would consider the 2008 versus the 2010 . Law dog made some valid points, I also believe having a third party check it out is the smart thing to do. Some of the standard items that the 2010 or later models have that the earlier models might have or not, are simple inexpensive hacks, like A-trac and VSC cancel switch which are simple and inexpensive.

Good luck, J.
Ole Blu likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:10 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'd go for the 08...

It sounds like a good find.

As said that's a good amount of money towards future mods... or if you're very unlucky to repair the few things that might or might not go wrong.
Red Crow and Ole Blu like this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...eddystone.html

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Get the '08 and save 10 grand.
Ole Blu likes this.

What size tires will fit on my FJ?

2016 North America Off Road Events

The owner's manual for your FJ is right here. <--- This is a link. Many answers to your questions are contained within.

See the relationship between highway speed and MPG here.

TLCA 5301

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.