LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Enthusiasm beginning to FADE

Hello All ,

I'm a new member located in New Jersey and joined the Forum to research the FJ to keep my enthusiasm and excitement alive in hopes of purchasing one. I'm most interested in a 2011-2014 TT/SE, A/T, 4WD which will be (or would've been) babied and kept in stock condition, with subtle upgrades. The FJ would never be taken off road and would be mainly used as a weekend car and the occasional Home Depot trip. The 4WD would only be utilized to get through the few snow storms we have here in New Jersey during my commute to work if need be.

After viewing as many of the discussions I could bare to read the past 4 hours, the glaring transmission "SHUDDER" problem or Nightmare for some is what's giving me doubt. I could deal with all the nuisances, like the blind spot and lack of rear leg room but the transmission scares me a bit.

Please someone, restore my enthusiasm and push me to make the leap! lol, (sorry for the boring/corny post)... I just really love these things but don't want it to turn into a money pit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:52 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Enthusiasm beginning to FADE

Hi @FJ2345 ,
The issue that you mentioned has happened to very few vehicles, and is relatively easily & cheaply resolved by properly greasing the four driveline zerks, and replacing the transmission fluid. It is not an FJ specific problem, and the work can be carried out yourself or at any garage that you trust - in fact even if the problem doesn't exist, these things should be done as part of regular scheduled maintenance.
If these trucks are maintained correctly, they will last forever even if they are taking an absolute beating every day.
The general consensus on Toyota engineering (on their trucks & SUVs at least) is that they tend to over-engineer everything mechanical - this is why they have the reputation that they do for unparalleled reliability and resale value.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:14 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Garage

What @amaclach so aptly said ^^ Plus, the good so vastly outweighs the bad that if in the highly unlikely event your tranny does tank, you won't really mind cos it's your baby...just bein a baby for once

Member of the Month November 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:53 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Garage

Like all forums and reviews people tend to highlight issues because the forum is all about solutions. So this and other model specific forums probably give a disproportionate view of the amount of problems with a model. (Its the black, white and grey thing... yo notice the good and bad highlighted but the everyday ordinary "the grey" go by unreported and unnoticed).

Toyota has a worldwide reputation for reliability and longevity and as already said the cars that do have issues are few and far between. The downside of that is that they stand out from the crowd... here in the UK Land Rovers break down all the time... no one seems to notice or complain it's 'normal' but no one would accept it from their Toyota!

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...eddystone.html

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:05 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Garage

Here's What A Toyota Truck Looks Like After 1,000,000 Miles

Apparently he lost reverse at 770,000 mi, but it was repaired by the dealer, not replaced, and the sun visor detents are a bit worn now...
OBXCRUZR, Thorn661 and jamesepoop like this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Last edited by amaclach; 03-19-2017 at 05:08 AM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:16 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)

2007 here and I've managed to improve the way she rides with helpful suggestions on the forum. It's all small nuances you notice later after purchasing and nothing that can't be fixed or improved. Seems like your plan for a long fruitful ownership with an FJ is on it's way. Just get ready, buckle up and hold on!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:41 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage

Another 2007 with 160,000+ miles and my enthusiasm has never waned. I am looking forward to a cross country camping trip this summer and another decade behind the wheel.
RJT and jamesepoop like this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:50 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Garage

Every car has problems. The FJs you are looking at will probably have some of the warranty still partially available or you can purchase an extended warranty. Don't get discouraged! A lot of us waited months or years to get the perfect FJ. It'll come along and all those worries will go out the window!

Young, dumb, and blunt - Chris
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)

I have a 07 with 110k. Just routine maintenance, plus rear brake pads, on the 3rd set of tires and an alternator a couple of months ago.

I don't see any reliability problems here. True there are people that have had transmission problems or have had to replace a wheel bearing. But those are the exceptions.
tomwill55 and jamesepoop like this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:10 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Garage

Keep up with maintenance and you wont get any of the problems. I have an 07 and haven`t had any problems. It just flipped 133K on the ODO. You have to change the fluids in machinery every now and then to keep them running
tomwill55 and jamesepoop like this.

Steve 07 FJ with almost enough mods

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Tags
shudder , torque converter , transmission flush

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.