Bought a used 2007 FJ Cruiser w/ 144,600 miles. Thoughts ? Ideas ? Opinions ? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Newbie Discussions A flame free zone

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bought a used 2007 FJ Cruiser w/ 144,600 miles. Thoughts ? Ideas ? Opinions ?

So Carfax didn't tell me much other than the two previous owners.

The first owner had the 5,000 and 50,000 mile service done at the dealership. Not much else.

The second owner installed BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2's on 6/25/2016 @ 130,370 miles. Crown Toyota on 02/15/2017 offered the car for sale @ 143,720 miles.

and here I am as the third owner, ready to take the FJ on camping/offroading adventures and daily drive it ! (Bought the car saturday, offroading @ Gorman Friday night - Sunday afternoon)

I only drive 3.3 miles to work

NOW the reason I decided to post this thread was because I could read and read on this forum about what to change and what to do for days. But I wanted to get personal opinions from owners because it's very easy to miss on the small details and I wanted to get opinions on what I plan to do to the FJ.

EVERY ANSWER HELPS !

I bought the FJ just a week ago and replaced the spark plugs (NGK Iridium IX), cleaned the air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor and installed new PIAA headlight bulbs.

I plan on changing the fluids on the front and rear diffs, transmission, and oil. I already ordered the TRD High performance filter and oil plug gaskets and auto transmission gasket and filter by FRAM.

I'm still debating on whether to use oil/fluid from oreillys or buy from the Toyota dealerships. Heck, I haven't even decided what brand to use if I go to oreillys.

I also ordered a Front CV boot replacement since the oem one slightly ripped on my trip to Gorman and I wanna take those off to keep as spares since I'll buy new axles and since we'll be doing that, replacing the front wheel hubs too for safe measure. Maybe change stuff in the rear too while I'm at it.

I wanna buy a thermostat to replace the old one since I read somewhere that it helps with gas mileage too and it wouldn't hurt.

I'll probably look at replacing fuel injectors and anything else fuel related.

My FJ also has the 'shudder' everyone talks about so changing the transmission fluid is my top priority right now. I also looked at torque converters just in case.

I also looked at transmissions

Mods in the future will just be a 3 inch lift, a baja drop in rack, front and rear bumper protection ( Still debating on choosing steel or aluminium.) but I will not mod the FJ until I feel comfortable with all the mechanical parts replaced/serviced.

THANK YOU GUYS !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Bought a used 2007 FJ Cruiser w/ 144,600 miles. Thoughts ? Ideas ? Opinions ?

Congratulations on your purchase! I'm curious how your 07 FJ runs with the iridium plugs as the 07-09 FJs use copper core plugs. Some of our members had rough running engines when they switched to iridium plugs.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Re: Bought a used 2007 FJ Cruiser w/ 144,600 miles. Thoughts ? Ideas ? Opinions ?

Thank you !

Yeah the FJ did run a little rough at idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Garage

I think the newer engines are spec'd for iridium plugs, but our '07s use copper core.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
debFJVT likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome from Philo, OH!
Valvoline maxlife ws tranny fluid from walmart is what i use.
Castrol gtx high mileage 5w30 motor oil.

Last edited by cliffy; 03-20-2017 at 07:13 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Mine had 112K this is what I did. I used the Toyota Extra Long Life ATF, since it doesn't need to be changed often might as well use OEM. Bought the 12 pack or something from eBay for $130 and new metal filter + gasket for $30 if I remember right.

Also I swapped to all NGK Iridium in my 2007 and it runs great.

Posted in another thread:

Quote:
801 previously said: View Post
Here's what I can think of in no particular order, not sure of mileage as I am a new owner too and did a lot of these when I bought it:

FLUIDS:
Engine oil
Front differential oil
Rear differential oil
Transfer case oil
Transmission full flush or pan drop and fill + metal filter
Brake fluid check
Power steering fluid flush
Engine coolant flush
Lubricate any aftermarket suspension components (UCA uniball, etc.)
Wiper fluid

ENGINE:
Clean MAF sensor
Clean throttle body
Check battery voltage/connections
Check serpentine belts for wear
Replace spark plugs
Replace cabin air filter
Replace engine air filter

TIRES:
Tire alignment & rotation
Check tire & spare air pressure
Check brake pads and rotors

ETC:
Rust check-up/prevention on underbody (wire brush, paint, fluidfilm)
Check all lights/bulbs working properly
Drive in 4WD ~10 miles per month to keep it lubricated per manual
Clean/wax exterior, checking radiator for mud buildup

Probably missed some but that's all I can think of!

2007 FJC 4X4 AT 113K+
Have: trailworx custom tube bumper, safari snorkel, amaesing decals hood decal, BFG MT 255s, Hi-lift XT-605, Spidertrax 1.25", BMC, ICON Stage 2 w/ Tubular UCA,
WTB: , 16" steelies w/rock rings, 305s?, bushwhacker pocket flares, warrior steel LED taillights, lower links, dirty deeds bolt-on & hi-tuck, round roof light solution?, lights?, Richochet skids set, MT Redeye II rear bumper
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
801 previously said: View Post
Mine had 112K this is what I did. I used the Toyota Extra Long Life ATF, since it doesn't need to be changed often might as well use OEM. Bought the 12 pack or something from eBay for $130 and new metal filter + gasket for $30 if I remember right.

Also I swapped to all NGK Iridium in my 2007 and it runs great.

Posted in another thread:
Congrats on your purchase! Welcome to the madness.

I agree to most of the above. But as far as the tranny, I would not suggest doing a complete flush. Drain the fluid, drop the pan, replace the filter/screen, pan. Inspect the fluid for grime and metallics.
Put exactly the amount of new fluid back in you drained. When you pull the pan you'll notice another plug on the bottom. This is a standpipe. It is used to prevent overfilling. This is important. Whether or not you are flushing or not you don't want to overfill! It'll look like you blew your engine as you cruise the highway. Ask me how I know.
It is also important to do this operation At Temp.
There is plenty of info on the forums on how to do this, but some don't mention the standpipe.
The reason why I say just drain the pan is that due to your mileage your seals may not take to the new fluid and overtime cause issues. Drain, fill and continue to at each oil change untill its well....., cleaner than what was or untill the shudder goes away.
I would also do the same with the power steering fuid. Use ATF like it says. Not the replacement.
Just my 02. Nothing in stone.
There is PDF on this operation somewhere here on the forums.

Good luck with your new baby!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Two questions also.
Any sort of powetrain warranty?
New OEM axles or aftermarket?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks everyone for the responses !

and @Cruiser47 no warranty.

I have the OEM axles right now and plan to replace with axles I've found on Amazon.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.