post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
DIY Tube Doors

Hey All,

This is my first post on this forum, so I want to make sure it will help others with the dream of making their Cruiser more BA! I attached a file of a tube door design I am going to begin building in a few weeks. I just want to post the 3D drawing/blueprints to help inspire others to make their own! All you will need (in theory, haven't started yet) is 1" metal piping/tubing from home depot, 45 and 90 degree elbows for the tubing, a saw that will cut the tubing, and a drill that will allow you to cut holes into the tubing and elbows to allow a bolt to go through it. Again, this is just an idea post, as I have yet to tackle this project. But I expect it to be fairly easy and will update this post in just a few weeks! Finals are coming up and my time is limited! Once I build the frame and figure out a way to attach it to the hinges of the car, Ill be able to create a latching mechanism as well.

In the picture attached, i have 3 drawings. The first is the tube door. The second is the tube door WITH a top attachment that will allow me to attach plexiglass to it, for rainy days and to help against theft! You can see in the 3rd drawing the door and top frame separated to show you how i plan to connect them! If all goes to plan, ill be able to hold the top from in the trunk and attach it within minutes when needed!

BTW, all designs on my computer are done to scale. Tubes are 1", elbows are slightly bigger, but still 1" inside

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 3.14.13 AM.png
Views:	71
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	867666  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:21 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Re: DIY Tube Doors

Kudos on the DIY. Although I'm sure it may be strong enough to keep you inside, I'm not sure it'll hold up to bashing things. I mean you don't want an incident involving a t bone and the pipes jutting in your direction. Or skidding up against rocks. I think you're better off investing in a tube bender and bending your own pipe and welding (or having someone weld it) if it works out for you. But I'm not a rock crawler it's possible the doors will be perfectly suitable for what you need.

/safety police
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:38 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
Kudos on the DIY. Although I'm sure it may be strong enough to keep you inside, I'm not sure it'll hold up to bashing things. I mean you don't want an incident involving a t bone and the pipes jutting in your direction. Or skidding up against rocks. I think you're better off investing in a tube bender and bending your own pipe and welding (or having someone weld it) if it works out for you. But I'm not a rock crawler it's possible the doors will be perfectly suitable for what you need.

/safety police
I can't speak to the build quality of Metal Tech's tube doors, but I have a set of Warrior Products' and there's very little chance they are stronger than 1" pipe. I'm doubtful that they either company makes them out of DOM tubing or any other special material. That being said, you don't realize how thick the stock doors are until you take them off. You actually sit pretty far inside the door frame of the vehicle when the doors are removed. I think that if you get T-boned or something happens out on the trail, the sliders and body around the door will stay fairly intact and prevent serious injury to the occupants.

OP, this will be a cool project! Can't wait to see how they come out! Any plans to paint them or are you going to leave them raw?
jamesepoop likes this.

Young, dumb, and blunt - Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Most people don't realize how much rigidity doors add to their vehicle, from a safety standpoint you'll never get better than OEM doors. That said, please don't make your doors out of Home Depot ductile iron plumbing pipe and fittings. It's just that... DUCTILE and will bend surprisingly easy, you're just asking for a hip replacement if you ever get hit in the side. Even a side-swipe will be enough force to bend that DI into the cabin.

Everyone can hate on my for it, but tube doors in general are a terrible idea unless they're DOM tube, welded, and on a dedicated OFFROAD only rig. And even then you're asking for sticks and things to poke through them and stab you. I will not get into J**ps that have tube doors (or no doors...)
epm131, Loganbeere and jamesepoop like this.

'07 Voodoo 4x4 AT
The Big Blue Build thread

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:55 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
StrangerRanger previously said: View Post
J**ps
LOL

I have no comment on the tube doors other than its good to see people thinking outside the box.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)

Quote:
chriskrossapplesauce previously said: View Post
I can't speak to the build quality of Metal Tech's tube doors, but I have a set of Warrior Products' and there's very little chance they are stronger than 1" pipe. I'm doubtful that they either company makes them out of DOM tubing or any other special material.
I'm actually less worried about the pipe than I am about the joints using connection points. I assume most off the driving to be relatively slow speed but if there was some impact, those would be the first to give. But you're right. It sits inside past the frame. I appreciate the DIY ingenuity and I'm sure would work in practice but I consider building parts.. that they need stronger/safer than OEM.

I'm not knocking. I've had bolt in and weld in cages on past cars. If I was to build doors, I would attempt with the least possible connectors.
Loganbeere and StrangerRanger like this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Yes! I do plan on painting them. But like others said, the more joints on the doors, the more likely they'll buckle. So Ill redesign them soon. And I'm looking into finding a tube bender, to make it more safe. But i love building, so even if they end up not being sturdy/safe enough, ill have fun in the process!
jamesepoop likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

jamesepoop, thanks for the advise! i knew these wouldn't be the most safe, as any tube doors aren't. But i will try to make the least amount of connectors, and hopefully can find some buddies that will weld things together for me!
jamesepoop likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll never be able to build them out of pipe with elbows. Example, take 4 pieces of pipe and 4 90degree elbows and try to make a square, you can't tighten it unless one of the pipes/elbows has a left and right hand thread.

And I have to agree that pipe is a bad choice for tube doors due to ease of bending.

And I have to agree with @StrangerRanger , tube doors should only be made out of dom and on dedicated offroad rigs and welded to the frame. They won't protect you on the road or trail because they're bolted to the body, so if the tube doors don't give when hit, the body will (and it will be expensive to fix). And if the tube doors give, you could get seriously hurt.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have tube doors, just understand the risks of using bolt-on tube doors
StrangerRanger and jamesepoop like this.

Eric

2008 Sandstorm FJ
-Offroad pkg, trail gear sliders, 35x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grappler on 17x9 Level 8 Bully Pro, Icon 2.5 Ext. Travel Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, MetalTech Long Travel Rear w/ Icon 2.5 remote res , EM rear UCA, MetalTech rear LCA, Icon panhard bar, 1/2" Bandi lift, Man-a-fre skids, TC A-arm skids, TC rear lower control arm skids, FJToyman shock skids, CB w/ Bandi mount, AFE HT exhaust, Demello front bumper, Warn M8000 w/ synthetic, 4.56 Gears, ARB locker, Safari Snorkel
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

You want to use pipe and fittings as drawn you will have to add unions to get it all together.

I very rarely run without doors on my Heep just because the dust seems to roll in. I'm not worried about getting T-boned, sticks coming in and roll over. Keep body parts in vehicle and all is well.

Take your doors off for a weekend and see what you think.
You'll be fine, the vehicle that started all this didn't have doors or tube doors and amazingly people survived.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	867761  

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Tags
diy , doors , homemade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.