Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Regretting my purchase

15K views 105 replies 59 participants last post by  thesilkiest 
#1 ·
I recently paid 20k for a 2008 FJ 2wd Base (towing package, RR diff lock, convenience package with parking sensors). I'm a little embarrassed to say that when I put the initial deposit down, I thought it was 4wd (I wasn't even aware that FJs came in 2wd until after I paid a non-refundable $500). My wife insisted we keep it since it had low mileage and was in great shape. And for the most part, I'm really liking the FJ. But in the back of my mind, I sometimes feel like I made a mistake by overpaying for this vehicle and getting a 2wd (again, completely my fault).

The good thing is I have 3 days to return the vehicle and get a full refund (minus the $500 deposit). I'm debating whether or not I should take advantage of this. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the FJ, and tbh, I probably wouldn't be using 4wd on a regular basis (I do go camping and fishing, but I can't recall ever needing 4wd at my usual spots). I live in GA so we do get snow maybe once or twice a year, and it would be nice having 4wd for that, but I'm debating whether or not using it once a year justifies the extra cost. The other main thing I'm worried about is resale. Again, not sure if that justifies the cost of 4wd and the hassle of sending this vehicle back (I bought it out of state).

Anyways, I was hoping to get some advice about whether or not I should keep this vehicle (I love it, other than overpaying for it and not getting exactly what I initially intended). My wife wants to keep it, and I'm on the fence. It's actually really hard to find FJs in my budget around where I live (they literally sell before I can even test drive), and the 4wd vehicles in my budget tend to have really high mileage. Sorry for the brain dump, just hoping someone smarter than me can provide some new perspective on this situation.

Thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
A 2WD FJ is still way more capable of a whole range of off road things than a lot of other 4WD vehicles are.

Note that an automatic transmission FJ, when shifted into H4 (4WD) shuts off vehicle skid control (VSC), so it is a fact that there are some conditions (like light snow) where staying in 2WD may be a safer driving option than 4WD because of that.

VSC uses yaw sensors to detect the conditions which could lead to a spin, and then cuts throttle, or applies partial braking to various individual wheels, to counter and prevent it. Much more sophisticated than what a human is usually capable of doing. It is shut off when in 4WD because the locked center diff prevents VSC from being able to do its job. As a result, 4WD in an AT FJ is really meant for off road when traction is too low to get through using RWD and a locked rear diff.

If your 2WD FJ can do all of the things you like to do, then you can also enjoy better mileage (though, honestly, none of us bought ours "for the great mpg", it is still worth something!).

N

#10 · (Edited)
A 2WD FJ is still way more capable of a whole range of off road things than a lot of other 4WD vehicles are.

Note that an automatic transmission FJ, when shifted into H4 (4WD) shuts off vehicle skid control (VSC), so it is a fact that there are some conditions (like light snow) where staying in 2WD may be a safer driving option than 4WD because of that.

VSC uses yaw sensors to detect the conditions which could lead to a spin, and then cuts throttle, or applies partial braking to various individual wheels, to counter and prevent it. Much more sophisticated than what a human is usually capable of doing. It is shut off when in 4WD because the locked center diff prevents VSC from being able to do its job. As a result, 4WD in an AT FJ is really meant for off road when traction is too low to get through using RWD and a locked rear diff.

If your 2WD FJ can do all of the things you like to do, then you can also enjoy better mileage (though, honestly, none of us bought ours "for the great mpg", it is still worth something!).

N
A few thoughts:
"A 2WD FJ is still way more capable of a whole range of off road things than a lot of other 4WD vehicles are."

Maybe a typo, did you intend to say "...than a lot of other 2WD vehicles"? I can think of very few off-road situations where a 2WD FJ would be any better than any true 4WD vehicle with similar weight and wheelbase.

VHS = Vehicle Stability Control in Toyota-speak, not Vehicle Skid Control

Auto-transmission FJs do not have a center differential.

#3 ·
Don't rush it, this statement >> "not getting exactly what I initially intended" < a vehicle is too much money spent on a depreciating item to deal with that. You should let your wife know that in the long run, that 4WD will be more valuable than the $500 lost. Wait and find what you want. Don't settle, buying a car is too emotional, you get caught up and MAY regret it deeply later.

#5 ·
If ya want 4WD then get a 4WD. We've all done worse things before believe me Bro...I know I'd regret it down the road. (No Pun Intended) 500 bucks ain't nothing!! Get a 4WD and you'll be much happier in a year from now than if ya don't. In this case ignore your well meaning wife and go with your GUT. Let us know what ya do. Good Luck.

#6 ·
What others have said.. The $500 loss in the long run pales in comparison to what you actually want and resale value.. however on the flipside be prepared to either spend a little more (guessing $5k) for the same miles with a 4WD or buy one with more miles however at the same price point as the 2WD. Good luck

#8 ·
If you're feeling regret now do you think that regret will fade in the future or will it be in the back of your mind nipping at you every time you drive the FJ? Or how will it resurface when you do get stuck, and you will. Now if you lived out west I would say build a desert bomber Baja style and rock it but that's not the case.

Bottom line is your gut feeling is spot on and you're here for some backup, in your shoes I would detest taking that $500 loss but as said above you'll lose more in depreciation on the 2wd and at the same time have a less capable FJ.

#9 ·
I concur with many others here, a vehicle is way too much of an investment to settle. Nothing wrong with a 2wd FJ, but in my honest opinion, FJ's were designed to power all four wheels, so I think of the 2wd models as hamstrung. A $500 loss hurts, but that will fade, and you will be happy you switched.

#12 ·
I recently paid 20k for a 2008 FJ 2wd Base (towing package, RR diff lock, convenience package with parking sensors)...My wife insisted we keep it since it had low mileage and was in great shape.

It's actually really hard to find FJs in my budget around where I live (they literally sell before I can even test drive), and the 4wd vehicles in my budget tend to have really high mileage.
I don't know what you consider "low mileage" but I paid ~$23K for my '07 4wd, loaded, no rust, and 110,000 miles in Massachusetts (October 2015). To me that's pretty low mileage for a Toyota, and not much above your assumed budget.

#13 ·
Return the vehicle.

You intended to get a 4WD vehicle, but because of insufficient planning and lack of familiarity with the FJ Cruiser model, you ended up with something else. You are making multiple mental "justifications" of why the 2WD model MIGHT be adequate, but it isn't really what you originally wanted.

Do some additional research, and make sure you FULLY understand ALL the differences between the '07 - '09 models and the '10 - '14 models, and the functions of each of the options "packages". (No FJ was ever offered with a true "tow package", just a hitch & trailer wiring pigtail.)

Get familiar with FJ problem areas, and particularly the service history of any FJ you look at.

It may take months and cost a few thousand more to get exactly what you want, but be very selective and get something that you will be happy with for the next 15+ years, and that will have a remarkable resale value if you ever decide to sell it.

#14 ·
I paid $20k CDN for my '07 4WD FJ with 106,000km in 2015. If you initially wanted 4WD, then return it, take the loss to get the FJ that you actually want. Tell your wife to be patient and have no regrets, rather than buying a 2WD model and regretting it the first time you get stuck and you need 4x4 to get out. I don't understand why Toyota made 2wd versions of this vehicle..2wd belongs on cars IMO.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I`ve owned my FJ for 11 years now. Its 4WD. My FJ doesn`t like to do anything in 2WD. If I hit a dirt trail anything but flat it loses traction. In snow it loses traction. I live in the mountains and on a steep street. If I didn`t have 4WD my FJ would have never made it up to my house until spring. In 4WD my FJ goes anywhere and everywhere. If it were me I would bite the $500 loss and fine a 4WD. You won`t regret it. JMO :)

#16 ·
I don't think you would've posted this question if you didn't want to be convinced to swap for 4wd! If the issue of $500 disappeared, would you hesitate? Personally, I would feel downright disabled without it, and I'm talking about for regular driving. Wheeling is another matter entirely...who knows - you might catch the bug! :surprise GL

#18 ·
Don't settle for less. You'll always wish you got your 4WD.
Chalk your monetary loss to leaning experience and learn from it.
I've been in the Masters Program at the School of Hard Knocks for quite some time. I'll be going for my Doctorates if I live long enough.
Live and learn!
Welcome anyway with whatever you decide.

#19 ·
The first FJ I saw for sale was 2WD, like you I didn't even know they came in 2WD....(still can't fathom why!) Lucky for me I questioned the controls and found out it was, (I'm sure the dealer wouldn't have told me). I agree with the consensus here, return it, you'll loose much more than the $500 long term when you are sure it isn't waht you want/need

#21 · (Edited)
About 15 years ago I got a tacoma prerunner after searching for a 4wd but gave in because it was close to what I wanted. It did bother me for years and my next vehicle was what I truly wanted the 1st time a trd 4x4 5speed tacoma.

That being said. 99% of people with 4 wheel drive dont use or need it, EVER.

a forum is an exception of vehicle owners so the opinions here are going to sway to 4 wheel drive is better. And to be honest im a toyota 4x4 fan so I agree. But there is nothing wrong with a 2wd but a good point a poster above made is the price is lower for the 2wd so keep that in mind when comparing.

May be hard but explain the situation to dealer maybe they have or can find you a 4x4 fjc model and move the 500 to that. They want you to keep the vehicle or sell you another one maybe the other one is more expensive...

#25 ·
I agree with alabamatacomaguy. The dealer doesn't want you to return the car so you might have some leverage there. You can also complain that you weren't informed that the vehicle was 2WD and they should have at least mentioned it. Of course it comes down to you to do your due diligence. But they may want to keep a happy customer and hook you up with a 4WD version with a slight discount. Hard to say, but if I were you, I'd bring it back if it's not what you ultimately want.

#22 ·
I have to consider myself very lucky during my purchase process. While I knew I had to look for 4x4, I didn't know there were so many options. I ended up with all the bells and whistles (plug in the back, brush guard, aux lights, back up sensors, back up camera, and rr diff lock). I'm extremely happy I got it all because I do like to go to trails and play around. While I probably don't get the most out of what the FJ can do, I also try to keep it looking shiny and dent/scratch free. Personally, after owning a 4x4 Ford ranger and getting stuck on boat ramps and storage places due to the weightless truckbed, I cannot live without 4x4. My 2011 rang up around $27K and that was with 94K miles. I'm confident in Toyota and I take deep care for my vehicles in hopes that I can brag about 350K+ milage. My advice is drive it around till you have to make the decision (3 days if I remember). I'm biased to 4x4 so obviously I'd say take it back. After buying FOX suspension and a CB kit, $500 is not worth dissatisfaction especially if you have big plans for your FJ.

#23 ·
4 years ago I bought my 2008 2WD FJ Cruiser for $20k - same as yours. But I did it on purpose. Having owned a Land Cruiser for most of my adult life, I knew how little I needed 4WD. What I needed was a good road vehicle, with towing capacity to pull my camper, and occasional off road ability. I test drove at least a dozen FJs before making a buy. Honestly I thought the 2WD drove far better on the road that the 4WD versions. And I would have to add that none of the FJs drove as well as my 35-year old Land Cruiser off road.

All this is to say, think seriously about your use before you simply dump that 2WD.

#26 ·
Take the $500 loss/life lesson now and move on. Time's a wasting.

In this day and age...at least where I live a 2WD, rear wheel drive car is useless and the value is reflected.

I drove rear wheel drive only cars back in the late seventies. They sucked then and they definitely suck now. To me....a 2WD FJ is worth less than $12K or less than a 2WD truck...which can be had for peanuts around here.

#29 ·
BTW, I paid $20,999 for my 2008 4wd with 49k miles. Better deals out there can be had if you do a ton of research and have patience. Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.