LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Shocks & 35s

Hey guys!

New to the forum, had an 07 FJ for just about a year. Bought used. 150k miles, 2-3 inch lift, 33s. Everything else appears to be stock. Last time I went in for an oil change they said I needed to replace my front shocks. They quoted me like $750. I'd also like to put on 35s. So. A few questions. Keep in mind I have little mechanical experience.

Could/should I attempt to replace the shocks myself and buy the tools to do it? What should I buy? I feel like this may be a good opportunity to upgrade some stuff.
Can I put 35s on with a 2 to 3 inch lift?
What are some other basic modifications I should invest in? In what order? What can I expect to pay?

This is my daily driver. I probably off road maybe five, six times a year. Nothing crazy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13558830_10209771501994441_5967068975682055978_o.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	879242  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: New Shocks & 35s

Replace the shocks yourself, it's a pretty easy job. Use the search bar and look for write-up's on how to do it.
Go with 33's (285's) if its your DD and only off-road a couple times a year. 35's fit but it takes some work and gets significantly more expensive than just swapping 33's on, and will kill your gas mileage worse than they already have.

'07 Voodoo 4x4 AT
The Big Blue Build thread

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Garage
Re: New Shocks & 35s

Welcome to the forum!
What lift is currently on it? If you're not sure, post pictures and someone here with be able to tell you. Was this a dealer telling you to replace the front shocks? A good adjustable front coilover setup is going to be at least $750 most likely, but you can get OME ones that aren't adjustable for cheaper. I replaced my coilovers myself with no prior suspension experience. It's not easy if you don't know what you're doing, but it's doable so long as you're persistent and careful. With 35's you're absolutely going to need to do a BMC (many articles available on here), probably flatten the pinch weld, and maybe some other things. You may notice that your FJ is underpowered and decide to regear after 35's, some do and some don't.
Are your wheels 17s or 18s? Most people on here have a 16 or 17 inch rim to maximize sidewall.

NESSIE, 2011 NSSE edition

-DO rally bumper (deer dent special)
-IronMan FCP coilovers
-OME cheap LT rear
-275/70r17 MTR/kevlar tires

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Tags
suspension , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.