Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

5TH Annual Spring Beach Run (info)

7K views 102 replies 22 participants last post by  Derthick 
#1 ·
5TH Annual Spring Beach Run

Where: Florence Dunes National Recreational Area
When: Thursday March 29th, Sunday April 1st 2012
Who: Anyone and Everyone! Don't be shy stock FJs are completely capable of handling this trip!

Florence Dunes National Rec Area: Forest Service ... ndex.shtml
Oregon Dunes Guide: http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guid ... orence.htm

This year we're again going to Florence Dunes, which is about 20,000 acres, with some dunes 500 feet high! We are planning runs on day runs on Friday, March 30th and Saturday, March 31th and night runs Thursday, Friday and Saturday. For those who are interested in camping, we're planning camping on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Also some of us will be renting a house across from Honeyman state park. There are hotels in Florence as well.

Like last year, we'll be camping at Jesse M Honeyman State Park:

JESSIE M. HONEYMAN MEMORIAL STATE PARK
Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates

RV sites for $22/night, Tent sites for $16/night and Yurts for $39/night. Since last year most of us were in tents (or not in RVs anyway) + some kind of 8$ reservation fee

For a day out on the dunes, the following are REQUIRED:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Valid OHV Sticker (Oregon OHV or Washington ORV permit is acceptable)
-flags displayed nine feet above ground are required when riding on sand (available at places like quad/dirt bike shops)
-Recreation Permit (available at the recreation area itself)
-Fire Extinguisher

CB radios are also HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. If you don't have a CB, it will be very difficult to stay in touch and know what's going on. If you are certain you won't have a CB, I suggest bringing a pair of GMFRS radios and giving one to someone who does have a CB. It's a BIG place and it can be hard to stay close together, so if you get separated, a radio could be essential!

We also suggest the following:
------------------------------------
-Tire Deflator / Air Compressor or Co2 tank
-Snatch Strap
-D-Rings
-Shovel
-Gas for the day
-Food/water for the day
-First Aid kit
-Basic tools & Ability to change a flat (Hi-Lift, X-Jack, etc.)
-Any spare parts you may have may come in handy!!! (as evidenced from last years run)
-Portable shelters for the evenings back at camp to stay dry!

PARTICIPANT LIST:
-------------------------------------
Confirmed:

FJ Forrest
Sinerasis
Amaintaylor
The Tick
Immmmm
Chefj
FJzilla
Helmut_S

Rental house is reserved and the per person fee is $100 for all 3 nights

guests:

FJ Forrest
The Tick +1
Sinerasis +1
Amaintaylor
Immmmm+1

Attachments

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
count me in for the house. me + 1.

#9 ·
I know I'm gona regret missing this. Hopefully next year>

#12 ·
We might come up with a meeting time and location before each days runs as we will be split up between lodging accommodations this year. We will also have our CB radios on channel 21 usually and you can PM me for a phone number too.

#16 ·
You can go to the roof rack if you have one. An ATV/Motorcycle/Powersports shop should be able to help you with a mount.

Several people just zip tie it to the spare tire tire, which is equally effective.

As long as the flag is 9ft up you're good to go, you don't have to be fancy.

#19 ·

#21 ·
no. california.

#22 ·
Helmut, here is my 'safety thimble' attached. At least we had a good laugh making it!

#24 ·
the 'lunar lander' is a flag mount that fits our racks.

#26 ·
You can get those here for $16.95 with a quick release pin to fold it down. You can buy the fixed version that you unscrew the flag for $9.99. I bought one last year with the led flag pole for the night runs.:bigthumb:
SafeGloWhips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.