F2 Toyota strait six motor. - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Other vehicle discussion Non-FJC talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
F2 Toyota strait six motor.

Does anybody know much about this motor? I am looking into getting a 1970 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 with Rebuilt F2 Toyota strait six motor less than 1k miles and was making sure this is a solid motor and does not have any known problems. Is it better to get a rig with a different motor? Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
Re: F2 Toyota strait six motor.

I forgot to subscribe
#3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Go Big or Go Home previously said: View Post
Does anybody know much about this motor? I am looking into getting a 1970 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 with Rebuilt F2 Toyota strait six motor less than 1k miles and was making sure this is a solid motor and does not have any known problems. Is it better to get a rig with a different motor? Thanks in advance for your help.
You mean 2F head? If so, it's a very reliable straight six. IIRC, it's based off the Chevy 258 I-6.

Regardless, the 2F is a solid performer, short of a V8 swap, it's the best engine you could have in a TLC.

Sean

"I too pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice."-Defender

Building a Trail Rig (IMO): http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-rig-imo.html
#4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

The 2F is a great motor, and came stock in U.S.A. Land Cruisers from 1974 through 1987. It is a decent upgrade from the F motor that originally came in your 1970, the 2F has a better oiling system. There are few issues with the 2F, it's a proven platform. Like all the F-series motors, they're very heavy. There is a press-fit oil gallery plug in the head near the #5 spark plug that sometimes works its way loose, some people thread the hole and put in a threaded plug. Mine is still running on the original pressed-in plug with no leaks. You need to find out what year the motor is and figure out which distributor is in it.

In my opinion the 2F is the best motor to have in your FJ40, but there are lots of folks who put cheby motors and etc. in them (not to my taste). A properly set-up and maintained 2F will take you anywhere and last a long long time. The condition and driving satisfaction for your 2F will depend on the previous owner / builder of the motor. If it was done right, you will be very happy with it, but there's no way to tell from here if was done right. If it has good compression, doesn't burn or leak oil too badly, and runs good you are on the right track.

Good luck with your search / decision.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Oh and I almost forgot, read this: Buying a land Cruiser - IH8MUD Forums thoroughly before you look at or buy an FJ40.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage

Here are pictures of the 2F engine with a homemade snorkel that I took yesterday at the Petaluma swap meet.

TLCA #17592
2007 FJ Cruiser 4x4 Auto Titanium Silver
Mods too long to list so I created a website www.nestahedition.com

www.Facebook.com/NestahEdition
http://instagram.com/nestahedition#

http://norcalfjs.ning.com/

"The silent force" - NestahEdition
"Don't be a So-So. Let your creativity show!"- My spouse

http://www.fjc-mag.com/july-2013/nestah-edition - NestahEdition 07 FJ Featured on July 2013 issue
#7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

I always used 2F in my 40's and the FJ 45 I have had because it has more low end torque than some built chevy v8.

Sponge Bob 2007 Sun Fusion , All Pro front winch bumper w/light hoop, 16 TRD Wheels, 285/75r16 BFG A/T ko's, OME 3" lift 885 front 895 rear, ARB Roof Rack with 2 IPF 868 Light Kits up front, KC Back Up flood lights in rear,Bud Built skid plates, Trail Gear rock rails, Hella horns, PIAA Headlights, PIAA Dome lights, PIAA Back up light, MPAC side HD rack, MPAC Straddle, MPAC rear door HD rack, Gobi ladder, Cobra 75 WXST CB, more mods to come. TLCA #3970

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER world's toughest all purpose 4-wheel-drive vehicle! You can follow me but it's gonna HURT!!

www.spongebobsadventures.shutterfly.com

#8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Never had probems with my 2F engine. They are pretty low revving units, built to last. I even believe they were used in fork lift trucks too, and they used run all day. Bullet proof, if you ask me. And it's a Toyota engine. Putting another brand motor in an FJ40 just doesn't feel right.

#9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

2f = great
1f = not as good.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
1911 previously said: View Post
The 2F is a great motor, and came stock in U.S.A. Land Cruisers from 1974 through 1987. It is a decent upgrade from the F motor that originally came in your 1970, the 2F has a better oiling system. There are few issues with the 2F, it's a proven platform. Like all the F-series motors, they're very heavy. There is a press-fit oil gallery plug in the head near the #5 spark plug that sometimes works its way loose, some people thread the hole and put in a threaded plug. Mine is still running on the original pressed-in plug with no leaks. You need to find out what year the motor is and figure out which distributor is in it.

In my opinion the 2F is the best motor to have in your FJ40, but there are lots of folks who put cheby motors and etc. in them (not to my taste). A properly set-up and maintained 2F will take you anywhere and last a long long time. The condition and driving satisfaction for your 2F will depend on the previous owner / builder of the motor. If it was done right, you will be very happy with it, but there's no way to tell from here if was done right. If it has good compression, doesn't burn or leak oil too badly, and runs good you are on the right track.

Good luck with your search / decision.
As Lee mentioned the 2F is a solid motor. Please keep in mind that the vehicle you are looking at is NOT cheap to maintain. While the 2F is a great motor its one you also have to keep you eyes on and make sure your fluids are always right.

Most people think that b/c they buy a 40/45/55 they have a cheap car to work on, that's not the case. After having owned a 40 I can tell you be prepared to spend some money it adds up real quick.

Like Lee also mention I'm not a fan of Chevy engines in them or aftermarket parts. Every part I bought for my 40 was a OEM part and they come with hefty price tags. That's the main reson some folks end up going to the chevy engine b/c to rebuild a 2F is not cheap.

Be sure that this is what you really want and how you plan to use it.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Other vehicle discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.