Jeep or FJ60 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Other vehicle discussion Non-FJC talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Jeep or FJ60

I've been looking at Jeeps lately. While doing so, I discovered the FJ60. They have cool vintage styling and are pretty cheap here. I don't know much about them. How reliable are they? Since they are 25 year old vehicles, are they easy to work on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Jeep or FJ60

Quote:
cgarcer previously said: View Post
I've been looking at Jeeps lately. While doing so, I discovered the FJ60. They have cool vintage styling and are pretty cheap here. I don't know much about them. How reliable are they? Since they are 25 year old vehicles, are they easy to work on?
What Jeep are you comparing to? Personally, I'd take a newer TJ style Jeep over an FJ60....but I'm biased right now b/c I'm looking for a 2000-06 Jeep TJ.

The FJ60 is reliable and easy to work on.....but have the leaking and weak birfields (which can be upgraded to chromoly). They are also really big and have a lot of sheetmetal for a trail rig.

Depends on what you are after though.....if you want an expedition rig, the Fj60 makes a lot more sense than a Jeep. If you want a trail rig, the Jeep makes more sense.

JMO,
Sean

"I too pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice."-Defender

Building a Trail Rig (IMO): http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-rig-imo.html
#3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 08:00 PM

(Thread Starter)

I've been looking at 92-95 YJs because they tend to fall in my price range and have some features that I like over older models. Honestly, I don't plan on doing much trail riding. At least it's not something I do now. I just think the FJ60 is a cool looking ride.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

If it's been well taken care of, a 60-series will last for hundreds of thousands of miles but any truck that old is going to need a lot more maintenance and TLC than a new one. Particularly if you like to do your own mechanic work, owning an older Land Cruiser can be very satisfying and very fun. Your expectations must be in line with the age of the truck, especially comparing it to a (newer) heep - for example by any modern standard the 60 is heavy, way underpowered, rides stiff, has old brake technology (incl. drums on the rear), etc. etc. As long as you're willing to accept these characteristics and don't expect to drive 80 mph on the freeway and don't expect it to be the equivalent of a modern truck, they are great trucks and a ton of fun. You also have to decide if you want a nice daily driver, a trail rig, or something in between as the answer to this question will determine what condition of truck you will be willing to accept and what your budget will need to be.

The two biggest bugaboos of older Land Cruisers (IMO) are #1 rust and #2 the dreaded Previous Owner. Mechanical parts are mostly common and easy to get, body parts less so and are becoming more scarce and there isn't yet the big aftermarket of body parts like there are for 40-series Cruisers. Before you buy one, look it over very carefully for rust, especially low on the quarter panels and the door sills. Use a magnet to check for bondo. If possible, take someone with you who knows these trucks to make sure that the Previous Owners have not really screwed it up with ghetto mods & nasty cheap repairs.

They are easy to work on compared to later trucks, as long as they are not rusty and have not been buggered by the PO. More room under the hood, simpler systems (carb vs. fuel injection), etc. Again, you will want to be a decent mechanic or at least want to learn to be one to own any truck this old.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
cgarcer previously said: View Post
I just think the FJ60 is a cool looking ride.

I agree... even a stock FJ60 looks cool. I think it would be fun to have one for cruising around. I wouldn't use it for a trail rig... and I wouldn't use it as a daily driver either. Guess that's why I never owned one. but, if you have room for a second vehicle, it would be a cool addition!

If you like that look... you should think about a 1st or 2nd gen 4runner. They are pretty cool looking too... but, a litlte smaller and more versatile.

2007 FJ 6MT black -n- black
#6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Forum Veteran

Lifetime Supporting Member

Check my signature for my experience with the FJ60...

You will not be disappointed. The FJ60 is a great Landcruiser worthy of the name...tough truck with loads of character...will run forever if properly maintained...and the maintenance is easy and not expensive.

as 1911 said previously the only thing you have to worry about is RUST and Whatever the previous owner did or didn't do to it.

Hope you get the 60...they need good homes and sounds like you already appreciate it enough to be a good owner to a great old truck...

My next one will be a 55 series.

2007 Voodoo Blue /Option Package 2 / MT in Wyoming Ohio
  • OME Med / Med 3"
  • 285/70/17 Dick Cepek FCII
  • Trail Gear Sliders
  • Full Leather Interior
My Legends before this FJ:
'74 FJ40
'82 FJ60
'84 FJ60
'94 FJ80
'79 FJ40
#7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 03:22 PM

I'd take the FJ, but it's too hard to find one that's not nearly dust. That's why I've always opted for wranglers.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Brock Send a message via Yahoo to Brock

I have an 84 FJ60....rust free....mostly original except for suspension, tires and center console.....i love it. runs great, handles the trails great, has character that a new jeep wont have. That being said....it rides rough, there is always something to tinker with especially if previous owner was an idiot...but they are awesome rigs. Kind of like a stripper....high maintenance and sometimes a pain in the ass....but when you are driving her hard this not anything else like it.

Here is mine..picture taken a month or two ago

Leaking birfs....nonsense....all leak and a knuckle rebuild fixes it as it is just a worn inner seal causing the problems...normal wear and tear. If done right will last you 60-100k miles...easily. Mine was done for first time at 200k this year.

pros- solid, workhorse, very strong diffs and axles, torgue monster motor, motors are nearly indestructable (2F) classic styling and likely one of the most loved expedition rigs in the world...

cons-gas mileage, low horsepower, 70mph about top cruising speed, 2F smog crap with vacuum lines and emissions valves...big pain in ass but can be desmogged most places.

Expedition and trail mix with daily driving....FJ60

Trail rig only and maneuverability...and modern comforts...new Jeep.

I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me.- Archilochus, 650BC
USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
------
00 LX470, Nitto Trail Grapplers, WhiteKnuckle sliders, BumpItOffroad front and rear, Titan winch

Swamp Fox Land Cruisers of South Carolina

Lowcountry AMSOIL Products

Last edited by Brock; 11-23-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Other vehicle discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.