Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Exploring Lone Pine video....

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  m3pedro 
#1 ·
Video I made on the way back from snowboarding in Mammoth mtn. last weekend.....decided wisely to take a detour and explore the famous "movie road" area in Lone Pine, CA. Was a perfect chance to use my new phantom2/gopro3 drone and have some fun flying the camera and getting a new perspective on location I have spent lots of days shooting commercials in. Still getting the hang of flying the drone. It was a bit windy but I managed. Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/118108365

youtube version if you prefer

http://youtu.be/qhBjfVXeasM?list=UUV...9qWJHi-znfd2Og

Some history on the area in the movie.

for those who dont know...... The Alabama Hills are a popular filming location for television and movie productions, especially Westerns set in an archetypical "rugged" environment. Since the early 1920s, 150 movies and about a dozen television shows have been filmed here, including Tom Mix films, Hopalong Cassidy films, The Gene Autry Show, and The Lone Ranger. Classics such as Gunga Din, Springfield Rifle, The Violent Men, Bad Day at Black Rock (1955), the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott "Ranown" westerns, part of How the West Was Won, and Joe Kidd. In the late 1940s and early 50s the area was also a popular location for the films of B-western actor Tim Holt.

More recent productions such as Tremors and Joshua Tree, were filmed at "movie ranch" sites known as Movie Flats and Movie Flat Road. In Gladiator, actor Russell Crowe rides a horse in front of the Alabamas, with Mount Whitney in the background, for a scene presumably set in Spain. Star Trek Generations was filmed here in addition to Overton, Nevada and Paramount Studios. This range was one of the filming locations for Disney's Dinosaur. More recently, many parts of the films Iron Man and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen were filmed here.

some pics...

Great "Calender" shot showing off my new Light bar and PIAA lights...

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice. Some of that does look familiar from the old Westerns. Is that a water trough for animals by where you are parked in the beginning?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.