308K views 4K replies 155 participants last post by  Hannibal 
#1 ·
Time for some history... Enjoy!

Attachments

See less See more
#1,265 ·

Attachments

#1,271 ·
Question: what is the difference between an FJ40 and an FJ45?

I read every post to this thread, but couldn't see a visual difference, or at least, didn't know what to look for.
I've read the FJ Company description, and Wikipedia, and searched on iH8Mud, but they don't actually explain it either.

At first I thought 45 meant hard top, but then sources say 45s came with soft tops too.
Then I thought it was wheelbase, but sources say both came in various wheelbases.

What am I missing?

Norm "40 or 45?" Kerr

#1,273 ·
Look at the difference in wheel base.

First clue of distinguishing the difference is that the 45 is longer, but also came in hard top versions, and I've also seen pickup cab versions of the 40.

BJ is Diesel and FJ is Petrol(gasoline)

FJ40 "half cab":

FJ45 full cabin, convertible top, or "troopy":

#1,275 ·
I think Hannibal has the document sheet that describes the very difference in Land Cruiser chassis, dating back to (I believe) the BJ20? I don't think the nomenclature represents actual wheel base. The J40 had 104" while the J45 respectively, had 116". I believe the original inception began in 1941 after the Japanese government instructed To-yo-da(correct original spelling) a light truck for Japan's military. Toyota basically reverse engineered Bantam's GP or "jeep" to produce the 1st half ton for troops. It was originally dubbed AK10 and Toyota didn't produce many commercially. That didn't happen until 1951 when they started producing the very 1st BJ and FJ models. The 45 series wasn't produced until I believe 1963. There may be earlier accounts but I'd have to look into it more.

If you ever get down here, the Land Cruiser Museum is in Salt Lake City, UT and has all the history you could imagine.

#1,276 ·
BJ original
FJ petrol/gas
HJ (diesel)

40, 42, 43, 44, 45. Not only wheel base, but cab configurations. Hard and Soft tops, removable and non removable, fixed top=LV45 Station Wagon.

The FB group from AUS is amazing. There are so many different variations out there that I've never seen. These guys know these things inside and out and restore them from junk and do it at a tenth of the price these guys in the US are charging. :cheers: mates Take this bit from that year/model and mate it with this bob from this year/model and it'll run forever.

Where do think I copy all the pics from? :rofl:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/40serieslandcruiser/?ref=bookmarks

#1,278 ·
OK, so now I understand why I am confused: there is no way to tell a 40 from a 45 by looking at it (like only another penguin can tell if one is a male or a female), the differences are on the inside.

I was expecting people to define it, that there would be something that can be nailed down, like "all 45s have a vent window, 40s don't", or a differently shaped hood, or added louvered vent, or the kinds of beds/back ends, or wheelbases available. Something visible. Or an engine difference, or model year. But they both seem to have been offered in overlapping specs, based on the photos posted (unfortunately, the majority of photos posted to this thread don't clarify which one is being shown, though I eventually figured out everything AFTER the 4# series, like 55 and so on).

Or I am still missing something.
Norm "trying to learn" Kerr

#1,279 ·
A 45 can be a pickup truck style, separate cab and bed or a really long wheel based 40 called a Troop carrier or Troopy with either removable hard top, soft top, no top or fixed=LV station wagon and comes in both 2 & 4 door versions.

LWB 40's are 43's. 44's are 4 door 40's... Confused even more ? :grin

And yes, you can tell them all apart once you get used to it.

I suggest flipping thru Aqualu and/or ICON/TLC's sites and look at the bare bodies, cabs and bed styles and you'll quickly have an ah ha! moment.

The different years are easier to tell apart. Pre 70 had round turn signals and tail lights, a 2 piece hood with a chrome ornament bar on it. Around 72 the tail lights went rectangular, around 78 the rear doors went from 3 piece to 2 barn door style, bezel went squared corners.

Engines F, 2F, gas, diesel, turbo and a plethora of Chevy and Ford conversions. 3 on the tree to 4 on the floor...

The 55 series Pigs and on up never interested me. I started this for the 40/45's and the old ad's. Yeah I should have labeled things better. :rolleyes:

I bought my ARMY GREEN FJC because I had a '74 FJ40 in green.

#1,282 ·
A 45.

Attachments

Reactions: TrueGritCruzr
#1,283 ·

Attachments

#1,286 ·
All owned by the same person in Mississippi.

:smoker:

Attachments

#1,287 ·
1965 FJ45 with 1978 hood, side aprons, bib and grille were added to give it a slightly more modern look. It has new fenders and later model doors with one-piece glass.

Attachments